Author Topic: Gays in Ancient Egypt and Other Civilizations  (Read 15965 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Gays in Ancient Egypt and Other Civilizations
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 11:16:52 pm »
This is one of the web sites I was really trying to find....

http://www.tperkins.com/spiritual/two_spirit_people.html

Thank God I found it.   :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 12:59:02 am »
This is one of the web sites I was really trying to find....

http://www.tperkins.com/spiritual/two_spirit_people.html

Thank God I found it.   :)

David - This is amazing. You get to a certain stage in your life and you think you've heard it all. And then from right out of left-field, you hear about something that's exciting and totally different - something you never knew existed before. This is the case with me re the Winkte.

I've just read my way through all the sites you posted and saved them to my favourites. Have also saved the beautiful pics to my PC. It was a real eye-opener for me. I never knew of the existence of this phenomenon until now. The philosophy of your people is so very spiritually evolved. Much more so than tired old Christianity.

I feel highly honoured that you have shared this information with me. Honoured and very inadequate, when standing before the beauty and dignity of this great culture.

I loved this quote:

As Joe Medicine Crow, a Crow traditionalist, told Walter Williams, “We don’t waste people the way white society does. Every person has their gift.”

Thank you again for sharing this with me, David.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2007, 01:11:47 am »
You're welcome!  :)

I'll keep looking for some more web sites. I can't believe I lost all my bookmarks when I reinstalled my America Online software.  >:(

Yeah, the customs varied from tribe to tribe, but I think you're finding out all the tribes treated homosexuals with respect. And as I mentioned before, many tribes actually elevated gay people to a god like position; especially tribes like the Sioux. Perhaps you will remember this the next time you watch "Dances With Wolves"; a movie about the Oglala Sioux. They would have held you in very high esteem, even as a white man! Gay people were very special to Native Americans; no matter what race they were.  :)

Yes, I love that quote too. This reminds me of the Hopkinsville, KY powwow I attended last year. The theme of the powow was "We are all one tribe". I thought it was beautiful.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2007, 06:39:49 am »
And as I mentioned before, many tribes actually elevated gay people to a god like position; especially tribes like the Sioux.

I can quite believe why they would do so, David, because I have already experienced this on two occasions, from the only Winkte I know. You!  :)

The other day, I mentioned to you that we were having heat-wave conditions here in Sydney and that bush-fires were encircling the city. Well, the next thing I knew, it started to rain, which not only lowered the temperature, but also extinguished the bush-fires. And there's more! Remember when I recently told you I'd lost my avatar and didn't know how to get it back. Soon after, it miraculously re-appeared! When I told you of the latter, you humbly declined all credit.

Coincidence? I wonder. We are talking about very ancient, powerful, primal forces here. Sophisticated belief systems stretching back over countless generations. I'm sure they got it "right," long before we came along with our puny Middle Eastern God concept.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 06:46:38 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline TXdoug

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2007, 01:04:03 pm »
Thanks, David, for sharing these AWESOME websites.  :)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Gays in Ancient Egypt
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2007, 05:38:17 pm »
"OVERSEER OF THE MANICURISTS IN THE PALACE OF THE KING."   ?   oh yeah.

Some things just don't change  ::)

I have a big volume on sex throughout the ages and in the Old Empires section they mentioned these two with the same inscription.  I LMAO thinking the exact same thing.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2007, 08:42:11 pm »
I can quite believe why they would do so, David, because I have already experienced this on two occasions, from the only Winkte I know. You!  :)

The other day, I mentioned to you that we were having heat-wave conditions here in Sydney and that bush-fires were encircling the city. Well, the next thing I knew, it started to rain, which not only lowered the temperature, but also extinguished the bush-fires. And there's more! Remember when I recently told you I'd lost my avatar and didn't know how to get it back. Soon after, it miraculously re-appeared! When I told you of the latter, you humbly declined all credit.

Coincidence? I wonder. We are talking about very ancient, powerful, primal forces here. Sophisticated belief systems stretching back over countless generations. I'm sure they got it "right," long before we came along with our puny Middle Eastern God concept.

Oh Kerry, I think you should go back read the definition of "wink'te" again! A wink'te doesn't have to be Native! A wink'te is simply a gay person; a "two spirit" person. Wink'tes can be Native, White, Black, Asian, Mideastern, Hispanic.... anyone! Certainly most of the wink'tes Native Americans knew and interacted with were Native, but this wasn't always the case. This is why I mentioned the movie "Dances With Wolves" in my previous post. Many Native tribes adopted non Native people; the Sioux tribes frequently did this. If the tribe was fortunate enough, they would invite White (and other non Natives) wink'tes into their fold. Wink'tes were viewed as a "bridge" and a "balance" to the people, sent by God to help the tribe. Race had little or nothing to do with it. As I just said, most wink'tes were Native American, but they didn't have to be. Gay is gay to Native Americans. Race is not a factor. Any gay person from any race is a wink'te.

"Dances With Wolves" was a wonderful movie and I was happy to see a movie about my particular tribe and MY people. It also dispelled many rumors and myths about Native Americans. One thing it DIDN'T address was the wink'tes in the various Native American tribes; a historical fact. (Sometimes they were called "Berdaches". Oh I hate that word!) I suppose they left this out because of the time the movie was released. Perhaps they felt people in the early 1990's were not yet ready to learn about the highly respected status of gay people in Native America. Who knows? But they left it out of the movie and I was disappointed.

I would LOVE to think I was responsible for these good things happening to you right now, Kerry. But if this does have anything to do with wink'tes and ancient powers, it is probably something you are doing all on your own! Those same powers working for me also work for you!  :)

Edit: Typos. OF COURSE!! I keep forgetting we have a spell checker now.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:53:52 pm by David925 »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2007, 10:55:07 pm »
I would LOVE to think I was responsible for these good things happening to you right now, Kerry. But if this does have anything to do with wink'tes and ancient powers, it is probably something you are doing all on your own! Those same powers working for me also work for you!  :)

You have a wonderful way with words, David. I was very moved by what you said. And you're right, I had forgotten that a Wink'te does not necessarily have to be of Native American ancestry. I remember seeing "Dances with Wolves" many years ago and enjoyed it very much. I hadn't realised/remembered that it involved the Sioux. I must borrow it and re-watch it. I'll be thinking of you when I do.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2007, 11:13:26 pm »
ya'll go back and fix typos?? man I would be a week doing that if I did....

(spell check is for wimps!)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: Gays in Ancient Egypt
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2007, 12:58:54 am »
I have a big volume on sex throughout the ages and in the Old Empires section they mentioned these two with the same inscription.  I LMAO thinking the exact same thing.

What is that Delalluvia?

Please tell us about them!  :)