Author Topic: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!  (Read 44596 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2007, 09:44:33 am »
:) 
I agree with you on that - it is definitely Martin's turn this year after several  unfortunate ones ;)

If we continue with the body of work line of thinking, Peter O'Toole should win for Venus...and I really, really doubt he will.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2007, 11:10:30 am »
 :) but Peter O'toole has an Oscar from a couple of years ago - Honorary, for his vast body of work - so maybe
the voters will think Forest is simply the best of the lot from a purely "acting" viewpoint, although in retrospect,
 it (the body of work versus acting) did work for Phillip over Heath last year - who knows?? ???
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2007, 11:21:27 am »
We keep forgetting that The Departed is also nominated.  Of the five nominated films (admittedly I have only seen four, which is four more than most Academy members will see beforet they vote), I liked this one the best.  By far.  I just saw Babel last night, and I'm sorry, but I found it over-rated.  There were some powerful *moments*, and the acting was top-notch, but it lacked the cohesiveness so many people rave about it having, IMO.  I understand what the director was going for - I just think he missed.

I still think the Academy will deny The Departed the Best Picture trophy just because they really can't stand/don't get Martin Scorsese.  Unless Letters From Iwo Jima proves me wrong (and I do plan to see it in the next couple of weekends), I think it's the highest-quality film of all the nominees.  And I know I'm not gonna be popular with this opinion, but at this point I think Babel is tied with Little Miss Sunshine for being the lowest-quality film of the five.  Really, The Queen was quite good.  But not great.  I wouldn't even categorize Babel as being quite good.

In a perfect, beautiful, Barb-centric world, I would be allowed to pick all five nominees, and they would be these:

United 93
An Inconvenient Truth
The Departed
The Last King of Scotland
Hoop Dreams (just because)

And it would be a tie between United 93 and Hoop Dreams.

And then money would rain from L.D. Newsome and whiskey (make that vodka, and preferably of the Swedish variety) would flow in the streams.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:36:04 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2007, 12:17:33 pm »
CHEFJUDY says

"Forest is simply the best of the lot from a purely "acting" viewpoint."

He's also playing a real life individual.  In recent years, playing a real life famous or in this case infamous character seems to get you an OSCAR. Last year it was "Truman Capote," previous year it was "Ray Charles." This year it might be "Idi Amin."   

Best actress, well "Kate Hepburn" won a few years ago in the best supporting actress category for The Aviator.  Johnny Cash's "wife" won last year.  This year I expect "Elizabeth II"(she deserves it).

I just saw THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND.  Forest did a good job of transforming his character from being Uganda's hope into an almost child-like bloody tyrant. He's almost comical, yet evil at the same time.  Well, as seen from his naive doctor's perspective at least.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2007, 01:57:27 pm »
Interesting article from the Chicago Tribune...

Surprise!
Wahlberg nod, 'Dreamgirls' snub lead Oscar shockers
By Matt Pais

Clank!

That's the sound of the hype machine crashing to the ground as "Dreamgirls" failed to score in the top category, best picture. It's the first time that the most nominated film--and "Dreamgirls" earned eight total--didn't earn a best picture nomination.

That was just one of a few surprises revealed when the 79th Annual Academy Award nominations were announced early Tuesday morning in Beverly Hills.

The nominations for "Dreamgirls" included the predictable and worthy supporting acting nods for Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy. And three of its nominations came in the best original song category. But besides the film itself, Bill Condon was not recognized for his direction or his adapted screenplay.

Condon has some good company in the snub categories, including Brad Pitt, Jack Nicholson and Sacha Baron Cohen, all of whom failed to win acting nominations. Among those who earned surprise acting nominations were Abigail Breslin, who played the pageant hopeful Olive in "Little Miss Sunshine," and Mark Wahlberg for "The Departed."

Here's a look at what voters got right and what deserves a recount. Oh, and by the way, the awards will be handed out during a live ABC telecast on Feb. 25 with Ellen DeGeneres as host.

• Mark Wahlberg beat out all the heavy hitters--including Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson and Matt Damon--to become the only actor from "The Departed" nominated. This could be because Wahlberg provided the only comic relief in a tough movie, or just because Academy voters are still feeling Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch's "Good Vibrations."

• Abigail Breslin's sweet performance as Olive put the "Little Miss" in "Little Miss Sunshine," with one especially tearful scene some actresses nearly twice her age couldn't pull off (this means you, Hilary Duff). She was far from guaranteed a nomination, but the Academy likes to shine some light on up-and-coming performers with acting chops well beyond their age.

• Leonardo DiCaprio was nominated for best actor for "Blood Diamond," not "The Departed." Though voters prefer the actor's South African jewel smuggler to his tough-guy Boston cop, Leo can rest assured: No one called him "cute" in either role.

• Ryan Gosling's best actor nomination for "Half Nelson" was somewhat predicted by other awards nominations he's received. But it still is surprising, considering that he's being recognized for such a small, mostly unseen movie the Academy doesn't normally notice. Nice job, Oscar!

• "Letters from Iwo Jima" earned a best director nod for Clint Eastwood and a best picture nomination. It may not be the popular best picture choice among audiences, but it's a better movie than "Dreamgirls." And along with "Babel," that makes two movies largely in other languages nominated for the prize. Time to get over your aversion to subtitles, people!

• Brad Pitt wasn't recognized for his understated, moving work in "Babel," perhaps because of the multiple impressive performances in a big, ensemble-driven film. Or voters have simply lost track of Pitt in all the Bradgelina hoopla.

• In a year with a total of one really good animated movie, that flick, "Flushed Away," isn't up for best animated feature. Instead, we have below-Pixar-standard "Cars," eerily computer-animated "Monster House," and "Happy Feet," which proves that cute, dancing penguins can get away with anything.

• Uptight, vulnerable and funny all at once, Emily Blunt's performance as the psycho assistant to Meryl Streep's psycho boss in "The Devil Wears Prada" deserved attention, but she was overlooked. Hopefully, she got to keep her wardrobe from the film.

• Sacha Baron Cohen didn't play Borat; he became Borat. But Oscar didn't notice. This wasn't a surprise, as the Oscars typically steer clear of comedy and aren't as happy to push the envelope as the Golden Globes, which awarded Cohen the best actor in a musical or comedy prize. Cohen did get an adapted screenplay nomination.

• No love for Michael Sheen in "The Queen"? His portrayal of Tony Blair is worthy of a nomination, and not just because his name rhymes with the movie.

• Nearly all of the nominees in the best actress and best supporting actress categories went just as everyone predicted, and Helen Mirren and Jennifer Hudson are locks for "The Queen" and "Dreamgirls," respectively. Where's the suspense?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2007, 02:00:24 pm »
I wonder will they crucify Little Miss Sunshine they way they crucified Brokeback Mountain last year.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2007, 02:41:10 pm »
In case nobody noticed, "Babel" (which I regret to say i thoroughly enjoyed) is the goat of critics everywhere. The SF Chronicle publishes a "critical consensus" (40 critics nationawide), and "Babel" gets a 5.1 out of ten...no, that was "he Good Shepherd" which I liked even better.

"Babel"..so what happened to the Moroccans, anyway? Did the little boy finally get credit for shooting the American? Is his older brother alive or dead? (helooks dead)

Been watching too much TV...well, one show 50 times is too much TV, huih? Think I'll go watch it again...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2007, 02:58:14 pm »
Das Leben der Anderen has been nominated for best foreign language picture. Yeehaw!!! :D

This makes me very happy. I haven't seen any of the other nominated movies, but this one was definitely very, very good. It's all the more amazing for the fact that it was the very first feature of writer/director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck. He must be very excited about going to the awards show!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2007, 03:06:46 pm »
Julie, I don't think we ever know what happens to the Moroccans.  What's more, I don't really care.  That's the problem I have with the movie.  I'm too busy being irritated with the father for giving such young sons who don't know their arses from holes in the ground such a high-powered rifle in the first place.  I don't care what country or culture or economical status you're in - giving a child a weapon like that and then not properly training him how to use it/be responsible with it is just asking for trouble.  Maybe that's one of the filmmakers' points - to show how parental irresponsibility (as well as miscommunication) can lead to tragedy.

I didn't like The Good Shepherd very much at all, either.  To each her own, I guess.

No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2007, 01:51:13 pm »
I don't get BABEL either.  I wasn't impressed with the film and was surprised it won the GOLDEN GLOBE and is nominated for Best Picture.  Perhaps the studio has launched a massive marketing campaign.  Did read somewhere about Fox Searchlights going all out for LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, i.e. marketing the film to Academy members (USD 50,000,000 some say spent on marketing).     I haven't seen DREAMGIRLS, though someone must have done a poor job marketing the film to Academy Members, given that it has been received much better then BABEL.   Sorry that Maggie G. didn't get nominated for anything. 

Last year, they complained about B.O. figures for Oscar nominees. This year isn't alot better.  Little Ms Sunshine and The Departed have already had their run.  Babel, it's been out forever. The Queen, I don't think the youth crowd is going to go see it (teenagers).  Letters  from Iwo Jima I can't expect it to make alot of money, though I plan on seeing it.

THE DEPARTED will win Best Picture.  If BABEL wins, then the Academy is really gone bonkers.