Author Topic: Oscars 2007: To Watch or Not to Watch  (Read 11353 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Oscars 2007: To Watch or Not to Watch
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 01:45:52 am »
I will be watching the Oscars, and I have, for the most part, gotten over the heartbreak of last year.

Last year was probably the first time I really cared about who won, and I obviously was pulling for Brokeback Mountain to win in all of its categories.  This year I think I've only seen two of the films nominated for anything -- Little Miss Sunshine and Babel -- and I'm not pulling for anyone.  I'll be watching the Oscars purely for the sake of entertainment, the same way I watched in previous years, excluding 2006, of course -- to see who's wearing what, who flubs their acceptance speech, how the nominated songs are performed, etc., etc. -- but I don't care  about who goes home with what Oscar.  There's no chance of heartbreak this year.   :)

I am also hoping that Dakota Fanning presents nothing as she made me cringe last year.

I agree, with what she said...all of it.  I wil watch for Ellen's benefit.  I also dont want to miss one of the biggest chances to
         watch the fiascos that people call clothes and put on.  In front of the worldwide and most ridiculously rich coutures, and Jewelers.

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 11:58:43 pm »
I'm not watching that. Not after what happened last year. I was outraged and I still am.  >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 12:07:11 am »
Oh, I know Swishy exists in the gay community.  And I have no problem with it - some of my best friends are swishy, in fact.  ;)

Seriously, I know that there are all kinds of gay men.  I work with several and have been around several more, and of course they run the gamut from Ennis to Carson Kressley.  (Don't know any cross-dressers or transsexuals personally, but I know they're out there.)  My problem is that I don't think the mainstream media know that there are all kinds of gay men.  Or if they do, they don't choose to portray them in more than one way.  I don't count HBO and Showtime among the mainstream media.  And they're the ones who got it right.  David on Six Feet Under is more effeminate than not, but his partner Keith is a cop who could (and does) kick anyone's ass.   Queer as Folk and The L Word have managed to show us a whole spectrum of gays and lesbians, too.  These are the groundbreakers.  Not Will & freakin' Grace.  Every character on that show is nothing but a caricature of a real human being.

I LOVED David and Keith in "Six Feet Under". They were two gay characters I could really relate to. SFU addressed homosexual topics in a truthful and realistic manner.

Will & Grace just gives me a massive migrane.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 02:11:05 am »
Thanks, but...no thanks. never again, Unless, by some miracle, there's a make-up call that's deserving (considering the quality of Brokeback Mountain, that seems unlikely).
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 12:25:45 pm »
I heard you were going to join us in Bay City, Julie! I'm looking forward to meeting you! We will not watch the Oscars together!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 12:33:39 pm »
I work on Sunday nights, an overnight shift, and would love to be in Bay City but will be watching along with you - not on a big screen, unfortunately, but I'll have my trusty portable DVD player with me.   ;D

Last week I was in L.A. for a reunion of school friends, and we went to the Kodak/Graumann's complex as part of our sightseeing. Very interesting but I hated even going near the Oscars venue as they now have a bank of signs with years and the Best Picture choice for that year listed. The first thing you see getting on the down escalator is 2005 CRASH BEST PICTURE.  Ugh.

I didn't watch the Oscars last year as I had a very bad feeling about it, and I suspect it will be a long time before I watch them again.  If I want to look at funny bloopers and ostentatious outfits, there are other venues.  So I voted "boycotting" even though I'm working - if I had the night off, I still wouldn't watch.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:41:59 pm by Marge_Innavera »

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 12:38:14 pm »
It's humour & I can laugh at the humour of the first ever successful gay comedy [ Will and Grace ] in tv history. That it got repetitive in it's humour was part a it's charm.

You know, Will and Grace reminds me so much of the first mainstream sitcoms with black characters. They were generally comic characters and appeared to have no sex lives to speak of but at least they were there and they weren't necessarily playing servant characters and/or buffoons. And ditto the "groundbreaking" shows about single women like That Girl.   IMO Will and Grace is limited and will be dated in a few years but it was a necessary step.

What's going to be the huge breakthrough in media, though, is when gay couples start to appear regularly in commercials. That's when we can assume there's a seismic change in the making.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 12:35:12 pm »
What's going to be the huge breakthrough in media, though, is when gay couples start to appear regularly in commercials. That's when we can assume there's a seismic change in the making.

That's right. Gay couples and interracial couples -- the last two TV-commercial taboo. I think I've actually seen both, but only an ambiguous, don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it shot as part of a montage (mostly of more "traditional" couples) for some hipsterish product.

Might be my imagination, though. Has anybody else seen this? This is way OT, but I'm curious. I should probably start a new thread, but I'm not sure there's enough to say about it.

The real breakthrough will be when gay or interracial couples are in typical "Honey, what's for dinner tonight?" commercials.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 01:55:37 pm »
That's right. Gay couples and interracial couples -- the last two TV-commercial taboo. I think I've actually seen both, but only an ambiguous, don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it shot as part of a montage (mostly of more "traditional" couples) for some hipsterish product.

Might be my imagination, though. Has anybody else seen this? This is way OT, but I'm curious. I should probably start a new thread, but I'm not sure there's enough to say about it.

The real breakthrough will be when gay or interracial couples are in typical "Honey, what's for dinner tonight?" commercials.

Maybe you should really start a new thread?
Self-evident I haven't seen the commercial you're talking about. But I have seen Ennis and Jack used for advertisements twice. Yep! It were advertisements in magazines, but I don't know if there were any tv commercials with our boys.

The ads were for a car, a van or minivan from VW, the Touran. The general idea behind it was to promote a minivan not to the typical minivan buyers, in particular families, but to other target groups. They did a whole series of ads along that line, Ennis and Jack were only one example.

Our boys were seen from behind on the hill were the "ain't queer" conversation takes place. Jack lying on the ground, Ennis still standing with the rifle in his hand. You know the shot. The slogan/caption was: It's not necessary to have children in order to drive a Touran.

What a joy to see this ad  :D! This ad was also attached to the BBM DVD in Germany, I'll get my husband scanning it at his office and will show it to you.

I also saw a kind of "commercial" in a photo studio, were I had my picture taken. They always have examples of their work hanging on the walls and mostly they have albums you can skip though. The photographer were I was, had those albums in different categories: families, groups of adulds (friends, coworkers, etc.), siblings, couples and so on. In the album with couples there was a gay couple, too.

So the taboo is broken here. But still it's so rare that it caught my attention (well, Ennis and Jack would have caught my attention in any way  :)).

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 03:04:31 am »
I watched the Oscars.  I wouldn't boycott it over BBM not winning cause there are allot of other movies I like.   But this year I really watched it cause  Ellen was hosting and I just love her. And I wanted to see if Al Gore's won for his eyeopening  documentary "An Inconvenient Truth" Which he did and I was very pleased.

I found the whole show very drab and boring. I hate to say this cause I love her but I don't think Ellen brought any life to it at all.  The most fun I had during it was my daughter and I made a list and tried to name all the 79 Academy winning movies. We got 39 of them right. That was fun!

" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "