Author Topic: Anyone have stats on how many DVD's sold last week?  (Read 7180 times)

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
Anyone have stats on how many DVD's sold last week?
« on: April 13, 2006, 02:33:54 pm »
Howdy all y'all....

I've searched around on the net and can't find any figures on how many BBM DVD's sold last week.  Just referred to Amazon a lot and they just show what's in their #1 spot at the moment but not how many copies have sold. Besides I don't want figures for just Amazon.

Anyone got the 411?

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: Anyone have stats on how many DVD's sold last week?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 02:42:07 pm »
 :) I don't have the figures for you, but I love that tech talk.................. ;)
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:44:43 pm »
I haven't been able to find anything beyond that 1.4 million copies the first day.  But it must be selling briskly because it remains # 1 at Amazon and #2 at Barnes and Noble.

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 02:47:08 pm »
Dagnabbit!  Where's Chris when you need him?

Anyone have access to Entertainment Weekly?  Usually they have a chart with the top 10 DVD rentals and purchases.

Anyone?  Bueller?

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 02:53:04 pm »
I'll be running to the supermarket in a little bit.. I'll check it out.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

vkm91941

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 02:53:38 pm »

Anyone have access to Entertainment Weekly?  Usually they have a chart with the top 10 DVD rentals and purchases.

Anyone?  Bueller?

Sorry the latest issue of EW doesn't even liist BBM in  the top 20 DVD sales...infact it has a little blurb on the bottom of the page edged in black like an obit with the title Worth Your Extra Time?  Brokeback Mountain  give a description of the story and then give 4 personal review blurbs with the grades c+, C-,B and D...basically says people's opinon is don't wast your time  then says to go to their website and watch two of their staffers argue wither or not this was the best pic of 2005.  NOT GOOD...This week EW was a waste of my time. :-\

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 02:58:33 pm »
Thanks deedee, I guess Victoria answered that question, apparently Entertainment Weekly is a week behind, so I assume BBM will appear in next week's chart.

Sounds like they're trying to distance themselves a bit from their initial BBM love fest. Guess if they want all their "insider" info and Interviews they have to play the game and act like BBM wasn't the best movie turned out in years.
 :-\
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

vkm91941

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 03:01:05 pm »
Thanks deedee, I guess Victoria answered that question, apparently Entertainment Weekly is a week behind, so I assume BBM will appear in next week's chart.

Sounds like they're trying to distance themselves a bit from their initial BBM love fest. Guess if they want all their "insider" info and Interviews they have to play the game and act like BBM wasn't the best movie turned out in years.
 :-\

Well I will give them this...I just checked out that on-line debate and they ARE standing behind their inital review of A+ for the film.  Just giving equal time to the dissenters I guess.  Also on line the DVD info is listed as thru March 19...Harry Potter is still listed and the #1 selling DVD and I think I read if finally fell out of that spot a week or so ago.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 03:11:27 pm »

I was just gonna say ask Chris. He's our statistics guy.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 03:12:44 pm »
The chart isn't out on EW yet, but this news clip: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/reuters/0,24012,1183333_10_0_,00.html says that BBM came in a "distant second" to The Chronicles of Narnia, which apparently sold 4m copies in its first week.  The figure is good, bummer that it's overshadowed by Narnia.  Ah well.
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 03:13:40 pm »
Thanks Juan!  I wonder how distant....
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 03:16:44 pm »
Thanks Juan!  I wonder how distant....
Narnia 4m, BBM 1.4m.   >:(

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 03:21:50 pm »
Hmmm...that's just the  first day sales though. for Tuesday, April 4th.

Wonder what the rest of the week went like, and I'm morbidly curious at Crash the director's cut placement.
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 03:24:39 pm »
Hmmm...that's just the  first day sales though. for Tuesday, April 4th.

Wonder what the rest of the week went like, and I'm morbidly curious at Crash the director's cut placement.
It jumped to no. 6.

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 03:27:31 pm »
Thanks for roping up all that information Juan.  I appreciate all the fancy footwork it took !
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline littledarlin

• darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 05:17:32 pm »
if no one else can find out, it will be in next week's issue of billboard.  we won't know how many, but we'll see chart positions.
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 05:25:38 pm »
For what it's worth,  My local Supermarkets DVD section had only one copy of BBM left.   There were 3 Crash DVDs and a FULL stack of King Kong DVDs.

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 05:46:37 pm »
Thanks David.  I wonder if there was so many King Kongs though because they shipped a gazillion?

How'd it go today? About the car I mean?
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 03:47:24 pm »
Thanks for roping up all that information Juan.  I appreciate all the fancy footwork it took !
No prob.  From what it says, sounds like Brokeback and King Kong sales are pretty much toe to toe, with BBM slightly in the lead.

On a separate topic, I had an idea.  Are people familiar with the Criterion Collection DVDS?  It's a company that puts out mostly deluxe versions of a wide range of classic films.  They have everything from samurai pictures to silent movies, in almost every language and a ton of amazing directors.

I was on their site to see if they have a section for suggesting titles, and sure enough they do!  I just wrote a little statement on why I thought Brokeback would make a good choice for a future edition.  If you want to write to them, you can click here: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/ask_form.asp.

Juan

vkm91941

Re: The latest from the Hollywood Reporter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 10:37:05 pm »
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" easily topped the national DVD sales chart for the week ending April 9, while the previous week's top seller, "King Kong," notched a second round atop the rental chart.

"Brokeback Mountain" finished a distant second its first week in stores, barely outselling third-ranked "Kong." "Brokeback" distributor Universal said the gay cowboy romance sold 1.4 million DVDs its first day in stores, while first-day sales for Disney's "Narnia" were pegged at 4 million units.

Best-picture Oscar winner "Crash" jumped six places to No. 6 thanks to the release of a two-disc director's-cut edition of the Lionsgate title. The only other new release to make the top 20 was the third season TV-DVD of "Full House," at No. 15.

On trade publication Home Media Retailing's video rental chart, "Brokeback" bowed at No. 2, with estimated rental earnings of $6.3 million, a tad shy of the $6.4 million earned by "Kong" its second week out. "Narnia" debuted at No. 3, with rental earnings of $6.1 million.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 11:49:55 pm »
On trade publication Home Media Retailing's video rental chart, "Brokeback" bowed at No. 2, with estimated rental earnings of $6.3 million, a tad shy of the $6.4 million earned by "Kong" its second week out. "Narnia" debuted at No. 3, with rental earnings of $6.1 million.

The rental figure is interesting.

One, I think the fact that BBM is an adult movie means that people will rent it through out the week, so it's rental time is longer. Where as Narnia is consider more a family film, so parent will wait until the weekends to rent it for family nights. It's revenue generating potential is limited to just the weekends for the part. At my local rental store, it's very evident. During the week, I couldn't find a single copy of BBM in the store, while copies of Narnia sat collecting dust. Tonight is when the Narnia copies began to move.

Two, it kinda help explain the sales figure. Despite the box office success, there are a good many people who still haven't seen the film. They less likely to go ahead and buy the dvd without having seen it. They're going to rent it first before deciding if they want to buy it. Where as with Narnia, most people who have interest will have already seen it, and will have already decide if they want it. I think Narnia sales will continue for a couple more weeks, where as BBM sales will stay longer on the charts. We'll see.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.