Author Topic: Pie.  (Read 4280 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Pie.
« on: April 13, 2006, 04:50:10 pm »
I saw Thank You for Smoking yesterday.  There is scene involving a slice of apple pie, complete with hilarious continuity errors.  It must be really hard to control pie when you're shooting.  Maybe this will spawn a new discussion... scenes in other movies that make us smile because we know what we're really thinking about? -- or maybe it's just Henrypie's pie thread, at long last.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Pie.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 04:56:24 pm »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 05:46:57 pm »
Sarah, was that movie good? I've been wanting to see it but I'm so turned off by Katie Holmes. I know that alone shouldn't be a deterrent, but she and Tom freak me out with the Scientology stuff.

I notice food continuity errors quite frequently. Also, glasses of water/wine/etc.

I saw Inside Man last night, even though I'm not a big Spike Lee fan. I really enjoyed it. It was very suspenseful. I didn't even want to leave to use the lady facilities.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 05:48:58 pm »
Maybe on movies with really big budgets they can afford a 'Pie-Wrangler.'

;D
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 05:54:32 pm »
And do your lady business, Stacey?

Hee hee.

I liked Thank You for Smoking.  Now, this is coming from someone who is CAH (Cheap As Hell), mind you, but I'd much rather have netflixed/rented it than paid my movie theatre bucks.  It was well done but lightweight.  Katie Holmes is neither here nor there to me... she was fine in the role but I can imagine a richer, more show-stealing kind of performance from someone else.

Pie Wrangler!
Excellent.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 06:45:25 pm »
>> And do your lady business, Stacey?

Speakin a lady business, here's somethin BBM brought my way that I probably never would have known about otherwise.  Have the sound up nice and loud:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Thank You for Smoking
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 04:44:04 pm »
I knew there was a "Thank You for Smoking" thread floating around here somewhere.

I went and saw this today with my daughter. I got a laugh. Watch closely for the sight gag of "St. Euthanasius" school.

I did notice the pie problem mentioned earlier--and as a New Englander, I was horrified--apple pie with cheddar is NOT a piece of pie with a slice of American cheese on top, looking like it has been stuck in the microwave for 15 seconds. Blech!

The entire movie is about smoking, but you never see a lit cigarette anywhere in the film (in fact, I don't think I ever saw a charcter even holding a cigarette).

Belive it or not, there is a tangential BBM connection--nice scene at the Santa Monica pier, including a ride on the ferris wheel. I thought of Ellemeno and our (now absent) Surf after the Aero screening.

Leslie

PS--update, forgot mention this before--Katie Holmes sucks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 05:14:58 pm by lnicoll »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 04:55:52 pm »
Thanks for the review, Leslie. I'm trying to talk my husband into seeing this, but he has gotten so he won't see any movie that has any hint of liberal politics in it. So I thought this one would be safe. Do you agree? I think the book was written by Chris Buckley, so it should pass the test.

There's a parallel pie thread starting to bake on my Brokeback Blog.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 06:32:34 pm »
I saw it a couple of weeks ago and it was the first movie I'd genuinely enjoyed since BBM. Not that they're in the same stratosphere. Just that I didn't sit there through the whole thing going "This is fine, but it's no Brokeback" over and over and over, as I did with "The Squid and the Whale." That movie was actually pretty good, but I saw it too soon after my earliest Brokeback viewings.

Since then, I've come to realize that there are movies, and there is Brokeback, and they're two different things, and if I ever want to enjoy a movie again I can't hold it to the same standards.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 07:21:37 pm »
Mmmmmm..............pie

Blueberry pie.  Or maybe bumbleberry pie, if I'm feeling frisky.  No cat pie.

I haven't seen Smoking (it's on the list), but now I know there's pie in it, I think I know what I'm doing tonight.

I think I also know that my destiny is to be a pie wrangler.  I would be awesome.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 08:13:09 pm »
I saw 'Thank you for smoking' a couple of weekends ago and it was funny.  I recommend it.  Especially for people who still tend to take anything at face value.

A friend of mine is a social smoker and a debate coach and she got a big kick out of it.

It's essentially a big movie on 'spin'

Well done.  I even liked the Katie Holmes character.  For all of you who have seen it, you know why.