Author Topic: Lureen COULD have contacted Ennis  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Lureen COULD have contacted Ennis
« on: April 13, 2006, 06:03:08 pm »
When Ennis calls Lureen to find out about Jack's death, she says, "Jack used to mention you, you're the fishin buddy, or the huntin buddy, I know that."  A moment later, she says, "Would a let you know what happened, but I wasn't sure about your name or address."

So which is it, she knows his name or she doesn't know his name?  And we know she knows what state he lives in, because Jack would go up there "two, three times a year."  She could have found him, I bet.  At least she could have tried.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Lureen COULD have contacted Ennis
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 06:07:45 pm »
Lies beget lies.  Yep, she could've, and didn't.
That's why she's a big red and black spider.
But even spiders are just trying to get by.
I feel sorry for everyone, even her.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 06:11:18 pm »
No doubt she could have.   But she was jealous of Ennis.   After all,  jack ran off to see him 2-3 times a year instead of vacationing with her and Bobby.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 06:12:10 pm »
Who da thunk I'd miss the old red and black spider icon?  And what's up with that shirt she's wearing in that scene over her prosthetic breasts?  It looks like an optical illusion.

Right, David.  2-3 times a year with Ennis, PLUS the "sales trips" mentioned in the story.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 06:14:00 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 06:21:56 pm »
I don't think those are prosthetic.  As we saw, she's got nice handfuls.  The blouse, ugly as it is, really accentuates boobies.  Gotta get me one a them blouses.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 06:22:24 pm »
Dearest Claribelle:

That top was pretty Op-Pop, all right, but was it really any worse than the 'suggestive' "Pair O' Lucky Horseshoes" shirt stolen from Dale Evans worn during the 'Pissant' scene? And all definitely so-very-very-Lureen--

As the young people would say, 'props' to costume designer Marit Allen!

;)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 06:24:09 pm by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 07:47:26 pm »
When Ennis calls Lureen to find out about Jack's death, she says, "Jack used to mention you, you're the fishin buddy, or the huntin buddy, I know that."  A moment later, she says, "Would a let you know what happened, but I wasn't sure about your name or address."

So which is it, she knows his name or she doesn't know his name?  And we know she knows what state he lives in, because Jack would go up there "two, three times a year."  She could have found him, I bet.  At least she could have tried.

Not necessarily.   ;D  I'm really bad with names.  Terrible.  Since Ennis wasn't HER friend, since Ennis DIDN'T live in Childress, since he WASN'T part of their little social group, why should Lureen give any importance to a man her husband drives out of state to go see 2-3 times a year?

Maybe - like me - when Ennis mentions his name, a light in Lureen's head goes off.  NOW she remembers his name.  She knew it, she just couldn't recall it.  It wasn't important to her.

Just a thought.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 09:09:53 pm »

Perhaps she didn't know his last name. Unless she read Ennis' postcards when Jack wasn't around, which is quite unlikely. She didn't seem to care very much about Jack life.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 07:11:01 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 10:09:32 pm »
Good point that possibly she didn't know Ennis's last name, but maybe she just didn't want to know it, that is, deliberately made no effort to remember it?

I'm tempted to think she made no effort to contact Ennis because with Lureen it was all about Lureen and she didn't give a damn, but she did at least care enough about Jack that she suggested Ennis make an attempt to carry out Jack's wish to have his ashes scattered on Brokeback.

Is a puzzlement. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 09:21:19 am »
Somehow I'm sure Jack would have kept every one of the Postcards that he rec'd from Ennis.     Then again, he may not have kept them in Childress.   Perhaps there is a shoebox full of them up in Lightning Flat in the closet?