Author Topic: Green Eyes  (Read 15562 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Green Eyes
« on: January 27, 2007, 02:40:15 am »
Anybody else read this?

I'm 1/3rd of the way through.

*spoilers*

What a mixed bag of emotions.  Wow.  Definitely AU, as I don't think the boys would let it get to be like this.  Or would they?  Could they?  Definitely some TRUTH in there, as I've scene and met characters like Bob, and I've seen and been where Jack is right at this moment.  Lost, wanting compassion and revenge.  I can also see Ennis turning into 'mean ol' Ennis like he has, just filled with self hate and anger and jealousy.  I definitely relate to what's going on, and it's hard to read.  Hard to stomach.  But it is real life.  This is how it could be, in rural towns, or in big cities, and this is how it is for some, lost souls.  I did read the first 8 or so chapters of Ennis & Ellery, and there are some parallels...

I'm hopeful there's a point to be made at the end of this.  I hope the boys learn from this....I hope they find their way.

Note:  The author has removed the story from online circulation, but it was passed to me.  That's why I don't have a link.  I remember folks reading this last February and March or so, and commenting on it.  I've been intrigued to read it ever since! 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 02:43:58 am by sfericsf »

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Green Eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 03:05:10 am »
Hey Eric,

If this is the one I'm thinking of, I did start reading it some time back - honestly can't remember how far I got.  What I remember is what I interpreted as power ploys, abuse, degradation, humiliation of Jack.  I just couldn't stomach it, myself, realism or no.  Maybe I'm naive and some of that is plausible - if so, it's just not for me.  I wasn't willing to stick with it long enough to see how it might all work out in the end.

-Lynne

P.S  If I'm all off-base here, and thinking of a different story, I'll be happy to remove my comment!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 03:12:52 am »
Oh yes!  I know a few people who have read the story and most either love or hate it.  I am one who loves it.  I was offered the entire fic from a user over at IMDB but she later told me Nurontz(sp?) didn't want her stories circulated, and I could go over to Dave Cullen and ask her for it.  The thing is, I already have all chapters copied to my hard drive.

I just love the dark feel of the fic.  The slippery Bob White who seems like some sort of vampire - he can only come into Ennis' trailer after being invited.  Characters drink absinthe. I'm also fascinated by the volatile J&E relationship.  I think the author is very talented.  I haven't read the last chapter, but I heard she is reverting to canon.  I won't say any more.  I believe we can submit a request for the fic over at LiveJournal.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 03:18:20 am »
Oh yes, it's definitely twisted. (no pun intended).  Lot's of power plays, predators, using sex as a weapon, etc. 

...Sounds just like any gay bar.  :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 03:20:51 am »
Oh yes, it's definitely twisted. (no pun intended).  Lot's of power plays, predators, using sex as a weapon, etc. 

...Sounds just like any gay bar.  :D

Or a sorority mixer  8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:27:06 am »
I'm also fascinated by the volatile J&E relationship.

I've seen lots of gay relationships, just like this.  That's why I can relate to the story...  I've seen it.  Just not sure the boy's would end up like this, but it is a possibility that I'm interested to see explored in a fan fic.  As dark and twisted as it is...

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:30:55 am »
I've seen lots of gay relationships, just like this.  That's why I can relate to the story...  I've seen it.  Just not sure the boy's would end up like this, but it is a possibility that I'm interested to see explored in a fan fic.  As dark and twisted as it is...

Yes it is twisted, and smutty as hell.  I almost wanted to count the number of times that Jack got off.  Can I say this?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 03:33:41 am »
Go on and say it!   :D

Wait, don't *spoil* it for me. 

...off to read some more.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 04:04:21 am »
Ok, I'm 2/3-rds through, and I'm convinced this was written and directed by David Lynch...  :D  :laugh: 

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:14:06 pm »
So WHERE is everyone readiong it? Like to join you folks.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 12:09:42 am »
So WHERE is everyone readiong it? Like to join you folks.

You can find her over at Dave Cullen, I believe, or look for her profile at Livejournal.  The last time I was there she offered her work, but readers had to put in a request.  I haven't been to Livejournal in awhile, but I'm sure her profile is still up.  If you get your hands on the fic, I would love to know what you think!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 12:11:46 am »
Ok, I'm 2/3-rds through, and I'm convinced this was written and directed by David Lynch...  :D  :laugh: 

Ain't it the truth?  :laugh:

Eric, how many chapters do you have?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 01:53:47 pm »
Ain't it the truth?  :laugh:

Eric, how many chapters do you have?

I have five pages left to read.  I think I'm up to the last chapter.

I tell ya, I thought/hoped it was going to go in a certain direction, but it didn't...there's still one chapter left to read though....  Will elaborate on that when I finish the story.

I PM'd Julie where she could get a copy...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 01:41:20 am »
        I was one of the people that read this story from the time it was
written.  i read it and reread it...it plays more like a greek play, and is filled
with archtypes, and good and evil.. the gods made me do kind of things.
I think it is getting to the point where i see it more like a psycho drama.
it is very interesting, one of the most interesting i have read.  it is one of
a kind.   not pretty, not happy, but facinating all the same.
                                                                that is my opinion  janice

it is not really about the jack and ennis we recognize, only the names, and
love that they had was there.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:16:45 am by MaineWriter »

Beautiful mind

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 06:49:58 am »

I was one of the people that read this story from the time it was
written.  i read it and reread it...it plays more like a greek play, and is filled
with archtypes, and good and evil.. the gods made me do kind of things.
I think it is getting to the point where i see it more like a psycho drama.
it is very interesting, one of the most interesting i have read.  it is one of
a kind.   not pretty, not happy, but facinating all the same.
                                                                that is my opinion  janice

it is not really about the jack and ennis we recognize, only the names, and
love that they had was there.

Me too, Janice  :) And I was one of the people that totally loved it and who was just blown away by her writing style and the gutsy way she wrote GE. I was also lucky enough to meet her in New York last Summer and talk to her at great length about GE and her OC Bob White. Bob White fascinated me and I thought he was sexy as hell and in this story I actually wanted Bob and Jack to end up together!  :o  I believe he really and truly loved Jack. I didn't like GE Ennis much  :(
Yeah, Janice, this was a really fascinating, dark, different, and I thought beautifully written story and I can remember being so so excited every time she updated. I was sorry to see it end but very happy she eventually did manage to end it  :)

I so hope she'll treat us to a new story some day  :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:16:16 am by MaineWriter »

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 10:52:19 am »
and in this story I actually wanted Bob and Jack to end up together!    I believe he really and truly loved Jack. I didn't like GE Ennis much 

Me too! And I remember feeling really guilty about this because it was my first fan fic and I was like what the hell is going on here? But I loved every single minute of it. I found it when she was on chapter ten and I printed them all out and read the over and over again... very intense. I'm so glad she finally finished it...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 04:21:23 pm »
Wow, I don't know if I could've handled this as my first fan fic.  Yikes!

Ok, I finished it.  Wow.  What a roller coaster.  I actually feel exhausted from reading it.  It was quite intense, and certain sex scenes were just hot as hell!

There is so much to talk about and discuss with this, I don't know where to begin.  But I'll start with this:

**spoiler**

Funny thing is, I thought this was totally going to end up going in a different direction.  With the title, and the constant descriptions of teeth exposed, blood soaked teeth and lips, necks, and characters hanging out in dark saloons all day, I truly thought we were going to have - Vampires -.  (Don't laugh.)

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 04:32:49 pm »
Wow, I don't know if I could've handled this as my first fan fic.  Yikes!

LOL, no joke... it helped that I was reading A Love Born From Steel at the same time, otherwise I probably would have thought fan fic was insane!

and you aren't crazy, I think a lot of people saw the Vampire imagery  :-*
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 06:34:38 pm »

I agree it was a roller coaster ride,,and as such as much fun and just and  entertaining.  i did love it, and got lots of emails from her during the length of the story,,, i missed the vampire thing, but i admit, that i
can see the way you got that.  I just got so irritated at ennis and the
off handed way he took jack for granted.  i thought that bob was
truly facinated by jack and his purity of heart..and the obvious sexuality that lay within him...he was sick and tired of sex with no real meaning.
and saw jack as a true way to stop that behavior....the scene in ennis's
kitchen spoke volumes to that.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:58:42 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline neuontz

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 08:50:44 pm »
Well! Nice!

I'm rarely ever on Bettermost, so I had no idea anyone started a thread about this dark and twisted little tale.  :o

'Course, no one's here any more, but I'm always late to the party. Either I'm late or I'm in the kitchen with the wine bottles, trying to avoid people.

Some funny and pretty accurate things in some of these posts...some of my favorites:

"...hard to read. Hard to stomach"
Lol!

"If I'm all off-base here, and thinking of a different story, I'll be happy to remove my comment!"
Nope, Lynn, you got the right story, all right  ;)

"...Sounds just like any gay bar."
Double lol!

"I've seen lots of gay relationships, just like this..."
So have I, unfortunately. Though a few of the people who objected to GE used to tell me they hated it because, for them, it was slanderous to gay people.

"Ok, I'm 2/3-rds through, and I'm convinced this was written and directed by David Lynch..."
:laugh:

it plays more like a greek play, and is filled with archtypes, and good and evil
(bows)

"...it is not really about the jack and ennis we recognize, only the names, and love that they had was there."
True, it was never intended to be taken as canon.

I so hope she'll treat us to a new story some day
Aww, Junie. I just may do that.  :-*

And I remember feeling really guilty about this because it was my first fan fic and I was like what the hell is going on here?
:laugh:    and...
it helped that I was reading A Love Born From Steel at the same time, otherwise I probably would have thought fan fic was insane!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I truly thought we were going to have - Vampires
You ain't the first.  ;)  I hoped all the dark creepies added somewhat to the fun of reading it.

Well, thanks everyone, for letting me read your comments. Very kewl.  O0
Every year, everything I have ever learned in my lifetime leads back to this: the fires and the black river of loss, whose other side is salvation, whose meaning none of us will ever know.        -Mary Oliver, "In Blackwater Woods"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 04:38:15 am »
hi Neuntz,

Not true that no one is reading or commenting here.  Welcome to Bettermost!  I hope you find some folks to connect with and stick around. I read Green Eyes and have to hand it to you for the slick sexy dialogue, and I agree with those who said

"What a ride!"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 03:03:57 pm »

Oh my god.  I am so glad to see you came and left some messages about your fans at bettermost.
I will never forget your great fic.  It is still one of my all time favs.  I wish I had it saved.  I tried to save it, but at the time i was so lame on the computer, it didnt work...I would like to reread it again...it was truly inspired/
              If you ever have the desire to come and start a new story, or restart the old one.  Know that we would dearly love to go on that ride again with you.                                                 janice

Beautiful mind

Offline neuontz

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 03:57:01 pm »
I tried to save it, but at the time i was so lame on the computer, it didnt work...I would like to reread it again...it was truly inspired/

Hey Janice:

First, thanks for all the nice things you wrote about GE. I'm quite humbled.  :)

Secondly, if you'd like to re-read GE, lemme know your lj username, and I'll add you to the access list. PM me if you're more comfortable doing that, or here, or wherever.  :D
Every year, everything I have ever learned in my lifetime leads back to this: the fires and the black river of loss, whose other side is salvation, whose meaning none of us will ever know.        -Mary Oliver, "In Blackwater Woods"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 09:13:12 pm »

I will send you a pm. and of course I would love to read it again.  I love it.

Beautiful mind

Offline fierytopazgirl

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 11:20:21 am »
Is this story locked?  Can I read it?  *prays fervently*  Can somebody post the link?  I'm really anxious to read this one!  Thanx everybody!!!!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 02:05:15 am »
Is this story locked?  Can I read it?  *prays fervently*  Can somebody post the link?  I'm really anxious to read this one!  Thanx everybody!!!!!

You might want to contact neuontz at livejournal.com. I don't know if the story is still available.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 10:26:51 am »

You have to get the linc from her.  Via live journal.

Beautiful mind

Offline fierytopazgirl

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 10:34:18 am »
It looks like the journal under that name is totally empty so does that mean the story was deleted?  OMG I hope not!!!!   :'(  

Is there some way I can PM her?  Thanx for helping me everyone!  *hugs*

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 10:36:07 am »

Yes I do believe she has deleted that journal.  She was getting some hate mail.   I had gotten the script from her
at one time, but I lost it when my old computer crashed..  sorry

Beautiful mind

Offline fierytopazgirl

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 10:40:21 am »
She was getting hate mail???? Just for writing a story????  How f*cked up is that?!!!?  I totally dont understand why people cant just choose to not read something if they dont like it!!!!!   >:(

Well thanx so much for letting me know, ifyoucantfixit, and hopefully somebody will still have the story that they can share it with me cuz it sounds rockin good!   :)   :)   :)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 11:50:09 am »

I agree with you.  But that is how it is sometimes.  Louise got her share of it as well.  I dont understand either
how people can act like that.  If you dont like it, its easy to just ignore it.  But some people think the world needs to
hear their opinion on everything.  Wherther it wants to hear it or not...  That kind of stuff is why nearly all of the
stories on live journal are friends locked now.

By the way, my name is Janice

Beautiful mind

Offline fierytopazgirl

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 12:36:05 pm »
Hi Janice its so great to meet you!!!!   :-*  I'm Amber and I'm a member of Ennisjack.com where I was mostly following BBM fics before I discovered this site too.

I'm so sad that I didnt get to see the movie until last year cuz by the time I found these fandoms a lot of really good writers were already gone and deleting their work.  That is so sad that they were subjected to nasty people who cant just excercise their freedom of choice and pass over a story they dont like.  I mean how hard is that???? 

Well I saw that the author of "Green Eyes" is a member here so maybe I can PM her and beg for a copy of her story!!!!!   :laugh:  I've gotten really good at begging lately, trying to find stories I hear so much about but cant find on LJ anymore. 

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 04:06:45 pm »
This story was quite the ride. Half of the time I felt like trowing the computor into the wall and I´m not kidding.
I think the story was well-written in that that it was impossible to guess where it was heading.
At one point I thought it was a vamp story, at another point I thought for certain that Bob White was some weird incarnation of the devil. I also entertained the thought that Bob White was actually Ennis´s own Mr Hyde for quite some time (an idea I quite liked). I´m still surprised that as it turned out, Bob White was not any type of supernatural being. But perhaps he, after all, turned out to be a bigger threath than any monster ever could be.

I must admitt that by the end of it, I felt like that if I had to read any more smut between Bob White and Jack, I would have imploded. O0
Ennis became almost a supporting character in a story about Bob White and Jack. The underlying thought of this story seems to be to punish Ennis for constantly saying "no" to Jack, and I´m not a believer in that.

But it was...interesting to read something that was quite different from anything else in the fandom. But at the same time, the story left me feeling somewhat sick to my guts. I guess I feel quite protective of Ennis :)

btw. I never understood what "green eyes"refers to

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 04:50:43 pm »
I think "Green Eyes" referred to the color of Bob White's eyes which Jack was "hypnotized" by.

My personal opinion of the story was that it was over-the-top and sort of silly.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 05:04:17 pm »
I think "Green Eyes" referred to the color of Bob White's eyes which Jack was "hypnotized" by.

I´m not sure. Bob White´s eyes are usually refered to as "dark" and Jack compares them to Ennis´s eyes.
But I don´t know whose eyes the title would otherwise refer to so perhaps I missed something (I did skip parts of the Bob/Jack sex scenes O0)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 05:14:06 pm »
I´m not sure. Bob White´s eyes are usually refered to as "dark" and Jack compares them to Ennis´s eyes.
But I don´t know whose eyes the title would otherwise refer to so perhaps I missed something (I did skip parts of the Bob/Jack sex scenes O0)

I really can't remember any more details because it has been so long since I read it - at least two years.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 05:19:20 pm »
I really can't remember any more details because it has been so long since I read it - at least two years.
that´s alright. I know I´m late to the party. (a couple of years or so...)

Offline fierytopazgirl

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 06:10:50 pm »
Sometimes its an expression that when someone is jealous they are green eyes.  Does that make any sense in context to this story? 

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 09:35:52 pm »
Sometimes its an expression that when someone is jealous they are green eyes.  Does that make any sense in context to this story? 

I think so!   

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 09:42:08 pm »
Well, Ennis is jealous of Bob White, Jack is jealous of Ennis´girlfriend and Bob White is jealous of Ennis, so there is a lot of that going around.
That might be it :)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 12:16:13 am »

I personally thought that the Green Eyes were of Jealousy.  Ennis of Jack, and Bob of Jack.  They both rather used him and disregarded him
as a fully developed person.  Jack was using Bob to make Ennis jealous.

Beautiful mind

Offline fierytopazgirl

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 10:09:26 am »
I think so too Janice, that makes sense.   :)

This story is really good I think, very powerfully written and a really realistic portrayal of what a lot of gay guys go thru although it was tough to read at times.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 01:22:12 pm »

I thought that it was very difficult to read as well.  I am not so sure, but it seems to me, it was about what happens in peoples
lifes, when they dont know or have little foundation for the choices they make.  It was hard to watch them all,, I repeat all, make the
worst mistakes that they could make.  Never being happy with the people that truly cared about them, and chasing the one that
had little regard to them, in the long term.  The ending was a perfect punctuation to that experience. 
    I am very sorry to be so cryptic, to those who havent and probably wont read it.

Beautiful mind