Author Topic: Green Eyes  (Read 15569 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Green Eyes
« on: January 27, 2007, 02:40:15 am »
Anybody else read this?

I'm 1/3rd of the way through.

*spoilers*

What a mixed bag of emotions.  Wow.  Definitely AU, as I don't think the boys would let it get to be like this.  Or would they?  Could they?  Definitely some TRUTH in there, as I've scene and met characters like Bob, and I've seen and been where Jack is right at this moment.  Lost, wanting compassion and revenge.  I can also see Ennis turning into 'mean ol' Ennis like he has, just filled with self hate and anger and jealousy.  I definitely relate to what's going on, and it's hard to read.  Hard to stomach.  But it is real life.  This is how it could be, in rural towns, or in big cities, and this is how it is for some, lost souls.  I did read the first 8 or so chapters of Ennis & Ellery, and there are some parallels...

I'm hopeful there's a point to be made at the end of this.  I hope the boys learn from this....I hope they find their way.

Note:  The author has removed the story from online circulation, but it was passed to me.  That's why I don't have a link.  I remember folks reading this last February and March or so, and commenting on it.  I've been intrigued to read it ever since! 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 02:43:58 am by sfericsf »

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Green Eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 03:05:10 am »
Hey Eric,

If this is the one I'm thinking of, I did start reading it some time back - honestly can't remember how far I got.  What I remember is what I interpreted as power ploys, abuse, degradation, humiliation of Jack.  I just couldn't stomach it, myself, realism or no.  Maybe I'm naive and some of that is plausible - if so, it's just not for me.  I wasn't willing to stick with it long enough to see how it might all work out in the end.

-Lynne

P.S  If I'm all off-base here, and thinking of a different story, I'll be happy to remove my comment!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 03:12:52 am »
Oh yes!  I know a few people who have read the story and most either love or hate it.  I am one who loves it.  I was offered the entire fic from a user over at IMDB but she later told me Nurontz(sp?) didn't want her stories circulated, and I could go over to Dave Cullen and ask her for it.  The thing is, I already have all chapters copied to my hard drive.

I just love the dark feel of the fic.  The slippery Bob White who seems like some sort of vampire - he can only come into Ennis' trailer after being invited.  Characters drink absinthe. I'm also fascinated by the volatile J&E relationship.  I think the author is very talented.  I haven't read the last chapter, but I heard she is reverting to canon.  I won't say any more.  I believe we can submit a request for the fic over at LiveJournal.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 03:18:20 am »
Oh yes, it's definitely twisted. (no pun intended).  Lot's of power plays, predators, using sex as a weapon, etc. 

...Sounds just like any gay bar.  :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 03:20:51 am »
Oh yes, it's definitely twisted. (no pun intended).  Lot's of power plays, predators, using sex as a weapon, etc. 

...Sounds just like any gay bar.  :D

Or a sorority mixer  8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:27:06 am »
I'm also fascinated by the volatile J&E relationship.

I've seen lots of gay relationships, just like this.  That's why I can relate to the story...  I've seen it.  Just not sure the boy's would end up like this, but it is a possibility that I'm interested to see explored in a fan fic.  As dark and twisted as it is...

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:30:55 am »
I've seen lots of gay relationships, just like this.  That's why I can relate to the story...  I've seen it.  Just not sure the boy's would end up like this, but it is a possibility that I'm interested to see explored in a fan fic.  As dark and twisted as it is...

Yes it is twisted, and smutty as hell.  I almost wanted to count the number of times that Jack got off.  Can I say this?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 03:33:41 am »
Go on and say it!   :D

Wait, don't *spoil* it for me. 

...off to read some more.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 04:04:21 am »
Ok, I'm 2/3-rds through, and I'm convinced this was written and directed by David Lynch...  :D  :laugh: 

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:14:06 pm »
So WHERE is everyone readiong it? Like to join you folks.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters