Author Topic: Lureen's nail polish  (Read 5471 times)

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
Lureen's nail polish
« on: April 15, 2006, 05:59:02 am »
This was something I noticed in one of my later viewings.  When Lureen is on the phone with Ennis it looks like her nail polish isn't quite right.  It doesn't go all the way to the edges and there's a little dot on her ring finger.  Anne had very little screen time to tell us a lot about Lureen and I think this was a great way to show she was still a bit fragile and not quite herself over Jack's death despite her coldness.  Or maybe that's just how nail polish looks close up(?).

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Lureen's nail polish
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 10:39:02 am »
I can't remember where I heard it, but Ang Lee intentionally did that to show how human they were.   He wanted every little detail in this movie to be real.. and I guess that includes Lureen's nails and dirty fingernails for our boys.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 10:57:39 am »
Kirk - hmmm, I hadn't noticed, but I shall check for it the next time I watch the movie

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 11:22:40 am »
There was talk about this on the main board at IMDb, a looooong time ago. From what I remember, people were interpreting it as Lureen wants to be high class, but she isn't. She does her own manicures, doesn't get them done professionally. And, she's obviously not perfect at it. Great detail. Speaking of that, I'm sure people have noticed this but I've not read any comments on it--her teeth in that conversation. They have little brown lines on them at the edges, like from coffee, tea, or wine stains. It's an amazingly realistic detail that helps age her when her face doesn't look lined. I have actually wondered why they didnt' do any age makeup for her face the way they did with Heath and Jake.

Back to the nails, there was also some talk about the little bit of polish on her finger being symbolic of her having "blood on her hands" about Jack's death, as in, she may have had him killed, or somehow played a part in that, if she found out he was having an affair with Randall, but I think that was dismissed by others, after a debate.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 01:43:35 pm »
They have little brown lines on them at the edges, like from coffee, tea, or wine stains. It's an amazingly realistic detail that helps age her when her face doesn't look lined. I have actually wondered why they didnt' do any age makeup for her face the way they did with Heath and Jake.

agreed about the teeth, I always thought it was from the smoking...They didn't have toothpaste that removed the tar from heavy cigarette smoking until the late 70's and  some folks never used it...my Dad for one.  Heck my older brother remembers when tooth paste first came along in 1955, the year before I was born, before that it was tooth powder, a mixture of salt and baking soda favored with mint.  Flouride tooth paste didn't hit the market until 1960....

And Lureen's face, a woman who lives a softer life and use creams and lotions would not have that same aged look to her skin as Ennis and Jack.  IF you look closely they're even trying (unsuccesfully I think) to make Ennis look more weather beaten than Jack.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 01:46:07 pm »
I noticed the nail polish at my first viewing of the movie. I thought it was to show how phonie Lureen's life was. Or at least how phonie she felt her life was.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 01:48:20 pm »
I think they did a good job aging Ennis.   When you see side by side pics of him at 39 vs. at 19 they are quite dramatic in change.   He no longer has that soft faced, innocent look anymore.    :-\

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 01:49:48 pm »
Kirk, I think your comment on the nail polish is one the spot. I remember reading an interview with Annie Proulx where she praises the attention to detail in this film, that made the scenes look so real and fleshed out the characters by humanizing them. Some of the details I remember her mentioning were the accurate accents, the dirt under Jack's and Ennis' nails in certain scenes, Lureen's mom's "perfect Texas hair", the way Ennis' skin looked wrinkled and flaky around the corner of the eyes - typical for people who work in the sun and wind; she specifically mentioned Lureen's nail polish in the telephone scene.

Jenny, you pointed out Lureen's teeth. Working in the dental profession, I couldn't not notice them, LOL, but I know I am weird about that, so I never said anything. However, I think you were quite right - the tobacco/coffee stains are another detail that contributes to the realism of that scene and makes Lureen a well defined, human character.

Even the difference between the way Jack and Ennis age is noticeable. Ennis' face is dryer and more wrinkled due to his work outdoors. Jack's face has less fine wrinkles - his work is in a more sheltered environment, plus his social status is a bit higher than Ennis', so he can take better care of himself.

Did anybody notice how, as Jack ages, his eyebrows get a bit closer to each other, with those vertical wrinkles between them deepening? Like someone who has frowned a lot over the years. I noticed that in many people who are either judgemental and negative, or go through a lot of heartache through their lives. We all know Jack was not the judgemental or negative type, so...

« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 01:59:22 pm by monimm18 »
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 02:15:53 pm »
I was just happy that they gave Jack a little bit of a belly at age 39.   Now I feel a little less self conscious about my own appearance!   LOL.     Well,  A little less.    :P

Offline hermitdave

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • changed forever by brokeback...
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 02:28:55 pm »
I also noticed Lureen's nail polish. I believe it shows she is not holding it completely together,that there are cracks in the facade. I also noticed that she was wearing a great deal of makeup. Being from the south-I have observed that many southern women I have known have literally used makeup to hide their pain. I believe the excessive makeup also was a very effective way of aging lureen.
"Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am whole again. Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am young again." - The Cure

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 02:36:01 pm »
This was something I noticed in one of my later viewings.  When Lureen is on the phone with Ennis it looks like her nail polish isn't quite right.  It doesn't go all the way to the edges and there's a little dot on her ring finger.  Anne had very little screen time to tell us a lot about Lureen and I think this was a great way to show she was still a bit fragile and not quite herself over Jack's death despite her coldness.  Or maybe that's just how nail polish looks close up(?).

I noticed that too. It made me think that they were press on nails instead of real nails. I also notice that her teeth needed some cleaning too in that scene. I definitely think they were there to show the breaking down of her edifice. With her grief, she's having a hard time maintaining her "front".
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 02:37:47 pm »
Back to the nails, there was also some talk about the little bit of polish on her finger being symbolic of her having "blood on her hands" about Jack's death, as in, she may have had him killed, or somehow played a part in that, if she found out he was having an affair with Randall, but I think that was dismissed by others, after a debate.

"OUT! Damn spot!" as it were. I read that too, way back. It's an interesting read, but not enough to go on.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 02:50:32 pm »
Yeah, Starbie, it was mentioned way back when that the nails were press-ons, grown out a bit so you could see the real nail at the bottom/sides, which is why there is that space between the polish and the edge.

And of course you are right about the tobacco stains Victoria. I can see what you are saying too about her living a softer life, less need for age makeup.

And to Moni, I agree about Jack's eyebrows, and lines from frowning. It's subtle and brilliant in my opinion. I think he looks every bit the 39 year old. I also see how they made Ennis a lot more tanned in his face and hands as a way to show how he was always working outdoors. I think he is wearing some kind of wig in the final scenes, b/c his hair has this worn out, dry quality to it at the Lightning Flat scene and with Alma Jr at the end.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 04:19:18 pm »
Yeah, Starbie, it was mentioned way back when that the nails were press-ons, grown out a bit so you could see the real nail at the bottom/sides, which is why there is that space between the polish and the edge.

Either that or like was said earlier, she does a bad job of doing her nails.  If you just paint a wide stripe down the center of your nail, it's not going to cover the sides, you have to go back and 'detail' each nail.  May be another sign that Lureen is not as 'together/upper class' as she wants to be.