Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178267 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1140 on: April 22, 2007, 01:27:40 pm »
Making Up  (Follow up to “The Fight”)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry, Lucise, I realize this isn't very 'heated.'  I need more than 300 words to make it really steamy.  But the soup is nice and warm.   ;)   lol     ;D
C*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hehe ..Just when things were starting to get really steamy, I see "306 words" ..  ;D
Okay, I will use my imagination from that point on..LOL
At least they made up!!
Cheers, C!  8)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1141 on: April 22, 2007, 01:29:30 pm »

Hehe ..Just when things were starting to get really steamy, I see "306 words" ..  ;D
Okay, I will use my imagination from that point on..LOL
At least they made up!!
Cheers, C!  8)

Yes, that is the important part.   ;)

C*   
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1142 on: April 22, 2007, 02:38:26 pm »
July 1988

"Think I'm gonna turn in Ennis...we worked pretty hard today.....ya comin'?" Bobby looked anxiously at Ennis.

"Be in, in a minute....keep the light on."

Both Ennis and Bobby had something they promised themselves to ask of the other this day but neither yet could seem to find the right moment. Ennis slowly got up and made his way to their room. Pulling the covers over, Bobby reached for the light on the nightstand.

"No leave it on just ah bit."

"Somethin' wrong Ennis?"

"No....not at tall.." Trying to gather courage to say what he wanted. "Bobby...."

"What isi it Ennis?...."

"Aw ....nothin'...ya can go ahead 'n turn out the light."

Laying back in the darkness, shadows from the window on the ceiling both men are deep in their thoughts.

"Ennis..."
"Bobby..." The both had said in unison. "Um...um ya want me ta pull the shade?"

"No its fine.....it's"

"Sure?"

"Yep...."

"Bobby..."
"Ennis..." They both again said in unison.

"Somethin' wrong son?....somethin' Ah c'n help with?....ya c'n tell me anythin'"

"I know....sounds like ya got somethin' on your mind Ennis....and you can tell me if ya want....you wanna tell...."

"Bobby...Bobby, back....back when Ah found out 'bout yer dad....spoke ta yer mama on the phone....only time Ah ever called...thought must be some horrible mistake....your mama, she was real nice ta me....told me you dad...you dad wanted ta have his ashes scattered on Brokeback mountain....she said it was his favorite place...she ...she didn't know where it was.......Thought it might me up here near where he grew up....said half his ashes were sent up here...Ah came up here that first time a few days later ta bring him up....your grandpa Twist...he told Jack was to be buried in here in the family plot.....Ah kinda thought with him gone...your grandpa gone and ever  thing with the ranch 'n all...mebe could carry out your dad's wishes...but Ah don't know....not sure how your grandma would feel 'bout diggin' 'm up..."

"Ennis...Ennis won't....won't he as hard as all that...."

"Huh?...whut ta mean?"

"See....Ennis...mom never could bring herself ta bury dad's ashes...kept 'm in a urn all this time... Dad..he told me 'bout Brokeback...wantin' ta have his ashes...on that last trip we went on. Kept after mom ta let me take him up...shouldn't be split in two like that...this might be the last chance ta do what dad wanted....Ennis ....I took 'm up with me! their here!.... and know what else!...grandma..she couldn't bury him neither!.... We...we can do it Ennis!....we c'n take him up there....all of him....that's I've been thinkin' on ta tell you.... Can....can we Ennis?..." Bobby near tears.

"You...you betcha son...we c'n go in a few days...do right by yer dad..."

"Still got some warm down bags from when me 'n dad use ta fish 'n camp...little stove too...everything we need."

"We'll take the horses up...try out that new trailer....pack everthin' we need.....now best ta get ta sleep son...we'll talk more in the mornin' ...nite Bobby..."

"Nite Ennis..."

In deep peaceful sleep both men dreamed of Jack Twist, laughing telling stories of bull ridding, dancing around the campfire, side by side on horse back, always with a the big wide smiling face looking back.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 08:45:21 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1143 on: April 22, 2007, 02:47:26 pm »

Wrapping up yesterday's drabble...  (there may be one more after this one ..  :) )

I’m not alone, Part II..

October 1984

Alma’s eyes followed her father’s and rested on the closet he was looking at so intently.
“Yer not alone?” her voice was quiet.  She hadn’t planned on discussing one particular subject on this visit, but there was no backing out now.

“Daddy, um, a few months back, after the wedding  ... Ma told me some things..”

He could feel the tightness in his chest return.  “Yeah?  What things?”

“Me and Jenny always thought that you and Ma divorced because we were poor and …well, because you did fight a lot sometimes … But I didn’t know it was because..” she swallowed hard, “Because you had someone else..”

His heart was pounding in his chest.  Why did Alma tell them about Jack?  Who knows how many other people she must’ve told?  How would he explain this to his daughter; what would she think of him?  This was one moment he’d always dreaded, and it hurt like salt on a gaping wound.  He rose from the old armchair and grabbed the keys to his truck lying on the nightstand by the twin bed.  He was almost out the door when she grabbed his hand.

“Daddy!  Please, I just wanna talk, then I’ll leave ya be..”  She held onto his hand with both of hers, her eyes shining with tears.  He sat back down heavily in the armchair and hunched over, eyes on the floor.

“I wasn’t going to bring this up, wasn’t sure how.  But I’ve been thinking about this non-stop ever since Ma told me.”  She held fast onto his hand, “I used to think you were perfect because yer my daddy, I had no idea that …” She wiped a tear running down her cheek and continued, “Is this the person yer with now … when ya say yer not alone?” 

He lifted his head and looked into her eyes.  He saw no hatred or revulsion in them like he feared he would; instead they were pools of worry, concern and confusion.  He was trying so hard to restrain the tears, his lips trembled.

“Yes..” he paused and drew in a shaky breath, “He’s dead now..”

Her mouth hung open.  “Whut?”

He nodded quietly.

“He?  Ma never said you was with a ‘he’..”

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 03:19:23 pm by Lucise »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1144 on: April 22, 2007, 05:28:21 pm »
.  .  .
“How ‘bout you?  You hungry, cowboy?”  Jack held out the spoon, ready to share the meal. .  .  .  

Watching the boys take care of each other is very sexy!   :)  And I loved how you worked this line in - 'Yeah, well, nothin’ never come to me the right way... . ' -gave me a little pang. 

. . . .
"Somethin' wrong son?....somethin' Ah c'n help with?....ya c'n tell me anythin'" .  .  .  . .

In deep peaceful sleep both men dreamed of Jack Twist, laughing telling stories of bull ridding, dancing around the campfire, side by side on horse back, always with a the big wide smiling face looking back.

As I'm reading, I can't help but remember that in the short story Ennis mentions that he used to want a boy, but just got girls.... now he has Jack's boy... and the pictures make me feel as though I'm watching a sequel.  Thanks for "Shirts" insert, too.  :)

Wrapping up yesterday's drabble...  (there may be one more after this one ..  :) )

I’m not alone, Part II..
.  .  .

Uh oh - this is where the dramatic music plays . . . I hope there's more!

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1145 on: April 22, 2007, 05:33:00 pm »
Watching the boys take care of each other is very sexy!   :)  And I loved how you worked this line in - 'Yeah, well, nothin’ never come to me the right way... . ' -gave me a little pang. 

Thanks,
Marie

Thanks Marie!    ;D
I couldn't get too carried away and still keep it to about 300 words.   ;)   lol

And I was wondering if you would catch the line from the OS.   
(Actually, I knew you would. I was counting on it.)   ;)

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1146 on: April 22, 2007, 05:50:41 pm »

Yet another beautiful chapter in this story Markie...

Same for you Milli you guys make me
     happy                                                                           :D   :D

janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1147 on: April 22, 2007, 07:42:02 pm »
(I hope it was as beautiful out by you as it was here today, here's my 'drabble'...)

Home Again

(August 1985)
Tom drove for a while longer in the darkness.  Ennis just sat silently beside him. Then Tom stopped the truck again.  Ennis thought he was wide awake this time. 

“My eyes are closing” Tom said.  “I had better rest for a while.”

“I’ll drive” Ennis said, looking out the window.

“Naw” Tom chuckled.  “You’re worse than me, let’s just sit here for awhile.”  Tom reached over and placed his hand on Ennis's thigh.  They both soon fell asleep. 

Ennis woke first, he had been dreaming again.  This time Tom and his friend, the one in the other picture, were in his dreams.  They were together and they were telling Ennis to come with them.  He couldn’t decide if he should go.  But when he woke he was still standing there, trying to make up his mind.

He looked all around.  He was surprised that they had slept there till sunrise. The sky was now pink and yellow and peach and lavender, some places all the colors were together.  Ennis got out of the truck.  They were all alone on the empty road.

Ennis went back to the seat and looked at Tom.  There was no need to wake him, anyway it was a Sunday, there was no place he had to be.  But Tom soon woke up and then they drove back to the trailers in silence.  After they arrived and they both finally got out of the truck, Tom said sadly “I hope ya come by later.”  Ennis didn’t answer him.  “By the way, what’s with the old picture?” Tom asked.

Again Ennis didn’t reply.  He went inside his stifling trailer and carefully put the picture on his nightstand.  He took a long cool shower in his tiny bathroom.  Then he lay down to rest, looking at the picture, with the sun pouring in.  It was now the middle of the day.  He wasn’t really sleepy anymore, but he didn’t know what else to do.   

Ennis was woken by a loud knock on the door.  He got up off the bed and knocked over the salt shaker that was on the table as he rushed to the door.  No one had ever knocked so loudly before. 

The knocking continued.  But as soon as Ennis got near the door it suddenly stopped.  He opened the door.  Nobody was there.  He went down the steps and looked all around.  Nobody was there.  He looked towards Tom’s trailer.  He could see Tom over there, asleep on the plastic lawn chair.  He walked around his trailer.  Nobody else was there at all.

Ennis went back inside and sat on the bed.  He picked up the old picture again.  He sat there, like that, for a long time, with the picture in his hands until the sun began making its way down again.   

Then there was another loud knock on the door.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1148 on: April 23, 2007, 06:05:11 am »
Hi everyone,

• Ritz crackers
  • black and blue
  • lilac bush

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1149 on: April 23, 2007, 12:57:54 pm »

I’m not alone, Part II..

October 1984

*gasp*  :o

More please Milli! lovely drabble, thank you.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'