Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1202007 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1160 on: April 24, 2007, 07:27:09 am »
Ennis went back inside and sat on the bed.  He picked up the old picture again.  He sat there, like that, for a long time, with the picture in his hands until the sun began making its way down again.  

“Why?” Ennis said, “ya never talk about your friend.”  Ennis threw a sideways glance at Tom.  “Besides ya never told me how you knew it in the first place, ya don’t tell me anythin'” Ennis said with a strange unfamiliar tone in his voice, as he continued to furiously dig at the ground with his feet. 

Wow, Marl - it feels like we're reaching a critical point here with these last two - I'm worried about Ennis, too. You've got me hooked.

Greetings.
.  .  .
The old man closed his eyes; images of the black and blue corpse flooded his mind.  He let out a sob and hunkered down.  He placed a hand on the heap of dirt;
“They may get me next, I don’t care, as long as they lay me down right here next to you.. My dear Earl, I’ll always love ya … only you.”  

Awww, thanks for this, Milli.  All they wanted to do was live and love ... :' ( In their own way, they were major characters in the story, weren't they?

Thanks, again
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1161 on: April 24, 2007, 07:29:18 am »
Hi everyone,

For today

• tape measure
  • collar
  • broken record

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1162 on: April 24, 2007, 11:32:04 am »
Awww, thanks for this, Milli.  All they wanted to do was live and love ... :' ( In their own way, they were major characters in the story, weren't they?

Agreed.  :)
I guess I always wondered about Rich and how he must've felt when he found Earl's body lying there.
Now I feel a bit better knowing that he got a proper funeral..  ;)
Cheers Marie!  :-*

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1163 on: April 24, 2007, 12:57:19 pm »
Somewhere in AU-land

„Wait a minute. There's something on your collar.
What's that? Is that lipstick?“

Ennis shrugged and turned away with a non-committal grunt, but Jack saw him blushing.

„Hey, there's more of it on your ear. Why are you full of lipstick?“

„Must be from Junior.“

„You know as good as me that she barely ever wears lipstick. And she didn't earlier today when I drove her to the dentist.“

Ennis sighed heavily. He knew Jack wouldn't stop his questioning before he came to know everything.

„It's from Sandy.“

„Sandy? She's five!“

Meanwhile Ennis's face turned even a darker shade of red.

„I know how old our granddaughter is, dumbass. She wanted to play 'wedding day'. She was the bride so I had to be the groom. Remember Francine's wedding, when Sandy cried so hard because she didn't catch the bridal bouquet?“

Jack nodded, grinning mischievously, clearly enjoying Ennis embarrassment.

„Well, Frannie gave her the lipstick instead. The one she wore on her wedding day.“

„So you're married again? And even to a woman!“ Jack was laughing openly now.

Despite his embarassement, Ennis had to grin, too. „Well, since I can't marry you, I thought Sandy would be the next best choice. At least she'll know how to cook for me when I'm old and rickety.“

„You know, in Europe we could.“

„Whut?“

„Marry. There's a country, Denmark, who allows two guys or two girls to marry since last year. Would you?“

The mischief was now on Ennis. „Only if you'd promise to learn how to cook properly.“

„I would.“

„I would.“

„I reckon the grooms should kiss at this point. C'mere“

273 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1164 on: April 24, 2007, 04:31:02 pm »
.  .  .
„I would.“

„I would.“

Aww. . . sweet  (and I do love me a blushing Ennis)  :)

Thanks, Chrissi
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1165 on: April 24, 2007, 04:42:24 pm »
Fabienne and Marie,

Thank You!!!!! :)

Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1166 on: April 24, 2007, 06:24:45 pm »
Aww. . . sweet  (and I do love me a blushing Ennis)  :)

What Marie said!
Btw, Chrissi, the boys could come to Canadaland and get married!  I won't miss their wedding for the world!   8)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1167 on: April 24, 2007, 07:32:42 pm »
(I know, way over, sorry..)

Knowing Everything and Nothing

(August 1985)
The lilac bush was wildly rustling.  Tom yelled again even louder this time “what the hell was that?”  Ennis sat there with his eyes open wide.  Tom got up and began walking towards the bush.  “Must be an animal, I guess.”  The bush kept on shaking.  Tom walked over and walked all around it, but then he quickly came back.  “That's the strangest thing I have ever seen, ain’t no critter anywhere.”

Ennis got up and began walking away.  “I’m goin’” he said.  “I don’t know about this.”  But Tom quickly went up to him and put his arms around him.  Then grabbed his collar and stroked his neck 

“I want ya to stay” Tom said.

Tom pressed his body close, and said again, softly and hungrily “I really want you to stay.”  Ennis looked right into his deep blue eyes.  He allowed himself to feel Tom’s body against his.  But then he broke away and said “I can’t, I can’t stay, I gotta go.”

Tom’s face began to darken.  “Ya know, you sound just like a broken record.  Always, I can’t and I won’t.  Why don’t ya ever let yourself do what ya really want to do?” he almost yelled with the frustration growing in his voice.  “I know ya want to stay, I know ya need to stay.”

Ennis looked over at the lilac bush, it finally stopped its motion.  He looked at Tom.  “Ya know that?  Ennis asked.  “Ya think you know everthin' about me?” he said with his eyes piercing Tom, but then he quickly stared at the ground.

“I know plenty” Tom replied.  “You just think people don’t know all about you.”

Ennis shot him an angry look, and hurried back to his trailer.  He sat down on the bed, breathing hard and trembling.  He went to the closet, he opened the door and he looked at the shirts, but then he quickly closed the door back again.  Ennis then stood there with his eyes fixed on the closed closet door, breathing like he was gasping for air.  Hanging on the knob was a yellow plastic tape measure, that Cassie used when she talked about fixing up the place.  But she never got to do any of the things that she wanted to do.  Ennis had no idea that the thing was still there.  He picked it up and sat back down on the bed and began twisting and wrapping it around his hands.  He looked at the old picture on his nightstand.  Then he said out loud.  “ya know just what I want, do ya?”  He stretched the tape measure out in front of him.

Suddenly the trailer door swung open with a loud bang.  The wind came howling in.  Ennis’s hands began to shake even more.  He dropped the tape measure.  It fell to the floor and he bent down to pick it up.  But just as he straightened up, the picture crashed to the floor.

“What the fuck is happenin’?”  Ennis tried to scream, but the words didn’t come out.  The noise was roaring in his ears.

But then, suddenly, the silence returned.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1168 on: April 25, 2007, 01:47:39 am »
Somewhere in AU-land

„I would.“

„I would.“

273 words

Lovely, just lovely Chrissi! Thank you  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1169 on: April 25, 2007, 01:49:03 am »

Btw, Chrissi, the boys could come to Canadaland and get married!  I won't miss their wedding for the world!   8)

Great idea Milli. How about then end of July?  :D I'll be there.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'