Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1203801 times)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1260 on: May 10, 2007, 03:26:52 pm »

Restraint

Jack sighed, laying a lonely right arm across Ennis’ chest. 

Ennis stirred, opening one sleepy eye to gaze down on the top of Jack’s soft hair.

“Whut’s wrong...you okay?” 

“hhmm...still rainin’,” Jack answered sadly, letting his hand slide the length of Ennis’ torso, coming to rest on the man’s lower fur.

“You aint got no restraint, Twist,” Ennis groaned.  “Wakin’ me up to tell me it’s still rainin’.”

“...that aint really the reason I done woke you up.” 

“Like I said...no restraint.”  Ennis smiled, laying his own hand on top of Jack’s. 

Both men would be awake for a while. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(100 Words)
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1261 on: May 10, 2007, 03:32:36 pm »
. . . .
Ennis still staring ahead."...Yep....sure wuz...think it wuz hardest thing Ah ever had ta do wuz leaving here."

Bobby moves to Ennis's side reaches his arm around him squeezes his shoulder remains quiet.  .  . .

Bobby is as sweet as his daddy - and beneath that stillness, Ennis is such a deeply sensitive soul.  Nicely done, Mark. 

. . . .
As the words rolled through his mind like a lighted marquee on a movie theater, Robert Twist fell into a safe and deep sleep. 

It does seem easier for some of us to express in writing what we can't out loud.  You're writing is always so special, Scott - and such a pleasure to read. 

. . .You ain't got no restraint, Twist,” Ennis groaned.  “Wakin’ me up to tell me it’s still rainin’.” . . .

;D ;D  You're something else, ya know that, C?  100 words of pure J&E. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1262 on: May 10, 2007, 03:36:38 pm »
Thanks so much, Marie.   You're just the sweetest thing.    :-*

I'm really enjoying the challenge of using fewer words.   ;)    It's fun.
(God knows, my chapters of WWotY go on FOREVER.)   hehehe    ;)
Love ya, sweetie.  You're the best. 

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1263 on: May 10, 2007, 03:40:05 pm »

I'm really enjoying the challenge of using fewer words.   ;)    It's fun.

C*

okay, okay, but not too few words, right?   ;). I'm just being entirely selfish here, of course...

That was a fun drabble! thanks.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1264 on: May 10, 2007, 03:43:40 pm »
okay, okay, but not too few words, right?   ;). I'm just being entirely selfish here, of course...

That was a fun drabble! thanks.

hehehe   I actually recently looked up the precise definition of a 'drabble.'  And apparently, in its very strictest sense, it's supposed to be exactly 100 words. 
It's fun to try.   ;)   But really not my strong suit, I agree.   lol    ;)

C*   

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1265 on: May 10, 2007, 03:53:43 pm »

Wow..three excellent drabbles so far!

Thanks Mark, Scott and C*!!  :-*

Cheers,
~M

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1266 on: May 10, 2007, 03:55:55 pm »
THANKS MARIE AND LUCISE!!!!
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1267 on: May 10, 2007, 03:57:44 pm »
Wow..three excellent drabbles so far!

Thanks Mark, Scott and C*!!  :-*

Cheers,
~M

:-* :-* :-*

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1268 on: May 10, 2007, 04:07:07 pm »
July 1988

"Ennis...Ennis....I'm so sorry.....you 'n Pop didn't get....go off ta be together...." Bobby tightened his grip on Ennis.

"Now don't you let me be hearin' talk like that son....Huh?.....Ya hear me?...Those days.... mebe even now we just couldn't be together...out in the open 'n all....just wuzn't safe...Much a Ah wanted ta be with yer dad...wouldn't trade all those years with him not ta have raise my daughters...be a daddy to 'm...an ....ta...to know you neither ...an know what else? ....neither would yer daddy ...no matter what.... 'Sides wouldn't ta done ya much good if Ah did take off with yer daddy" Ennis chuckles. "...don't how they're be much chance of ya even being born!....you just hush up 'bout that ya hear?" Ennis claps him on the back.

"Yes sir.....Ennis...."

"Come on....'s time we be gettin' a move on."

Mark, i really like the way Ennis has accepted that things were 'the way they were' and that he could see the whole situation from Bobby's point of view. Both Ennis and Jack regretted not being able to be together the way they wanted to, but never regretted being a father. I think it's important that Bobby hears this.

Very balanced and very moving. thank you!  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1269 on: May 10, 2007, 04:17:38 pm »
Sealed Envelope 5/10/07
If you can find even half of the love that I have in my life, you will be a lucky man.  I love you son.”

As the words rolled through his mind like a lighted marquee on a movie theater, Robert Twist fell into a safe and deep sleep.

That was beautiful Scott! thank you.  :)