Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1203966 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1580 on: June 27, 2007, 04:16:03 pm »
Sophomore

It wasn't a surprise when the old truck died a half hour into the hour-long ride.  The windshield wipers only worked on the passenger side, and his head ached from squinting through the rain.  He wouldn't allow himself a backward glance as he began the long walk home, collar pulled up against the heavy drops, boots crunching on the wet gravel.  He had already become inured to the disappointments in life during his 14 years.  No matter how much he wanted it, Ennis Del Mar would never be a sophomore and that was that.   

~~~~~~~~~
94 words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1581 on: June 27, 2007, 06:13:14 pm »

Till Friday

(June 1968)
Ennis was outside washing the old truck.  He was using the hose connected to the faucet from the laundry and the water was dripping all over the gravel under foot.  He wanted the truck to look nice.

“Ennis” Alma yelled, piercing the sound of the flowing water.

“Ennis” She yelled again.

Finally Ennis heard her and looked up to the top of the landing.

“Ennis, can’t you hear me” she yelled.  “I need twenty four dollars, for the groceries and the electric bill.”

Ennis looked down at the gravel, and began kicking it with his feet.  “Ennis” Alma yelled again.

“Not now Alma, don’t got it, ya gotta wait till payday.”

Alma went back inside the apartment, letting the door slam with a loud bang.  Ennis stared at the ground, but then he turned the water back on and he let it flow all over the truck.  He really wanted the truck to look nice, he was leaving right after work on Friday.

(165 words!)

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1582 on: June 27, 2007, 06:18:11 pm »
LOL!  What I silly question, Jack.   ;D  Way to go, Clyde - all three prompts so cleverly used in 100 words. 

Marie

Thanks Marie,

I'm a beginner.  Trying to learn to say more with less.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1583 on: June 27, 2007, 08:36:58 pm »
. . . .He really wanted the truck to look nice, he was leaving right after work on Friday. 

Marl, that was just great.  Merrily is right - that scene blends perfectly into the movie.  I love how you showed that no matter how long between their 'fishing' trips - they are always foremost on each other's minds. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1584 on: June 28, 2007, 01:31:23 am »
Thank you so much, Merrily and Marie!!!! :)

Marie, just loved yours, like Merrily said, poor Ennis :(. ;D

Clyde, excellent mini-drabble!
 :)

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1585 on: June 28, 2007, 01:59:01 am »
Merrily, I am sure you can write, I do hope you do drabble soon. :D
Please don't be shy.

But thank you again for your lovely comments. :)  I really do appreciate it. :)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1586 on: June 28, 2007, 08:20:02 am »
Any name is fine. ;D  Nice to know you, Merrily.
Hope you drabble soon. :)

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1587 on: June 28, 2007, 08:28:53 am »
Sophomore

It wasn't a surprise when the old truck died a half hour into the hour-long ride.  The windshield wipers only worked on the passenger side, and his head ached from squinting through the rain.  He wouldn't allow himself a backward glance as he began the long walk home, collar pulled up against the heavy drops, boots crunching on the wet gravel.  He had already become inured to the disappointments in life during his 14 years.  No matter how much he wanted it, Ennis Del Mar would never be a sophomore and that was that.   

~~~~~~~~~
94 words

What a nice focus.  I've always loved Annie's choice of the word sophomore.  To poor Ennis it sounds sophisitcated because it's a big, important sounding word and he doesn't realize that it's true meaning is closer to inexperienced, or immature, and that's so poignant.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1588 on: June 28, 2007, 08:32:22 am »
Thank you Cameron and Marie.  I love this site but I am not able to contribute, but I appreciate you mentioning my name - you don't know how much that raises my morale.  I wish I could write, maybe someday.

Merrily

Merrily, you are contributing!  Everyone who comes by drabblefest contributes, whether by writing, commenting or simply reading and enjoying!  And, as Marl said, who knows?  Maybe someday inspiration will strike.  But we're happy to see you here in any case.   :)

Marie

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1589 on: June 28, 2007, 08:33:40 am »
Till Friday

(June 1968)
   Ennis stared at the ground, but then he turned the water back on and he let it flow all over the truck.  He really wanted the truck to look nice, he was leaving right after work on Friday.

(165 words!)

Not one word about Jack, but no question where he's headed Friday is there?