Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204171 times)

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1650 on: July 01, 2007, 11:18:16 am »
Awesome writing, as usual, Clyde.  Makes me want to gather Ennis up in a comforting hug.  A wise woman, that Percilla. 

Marie

Thank you Marie, you're so kind.

I hope your three-ring circus is under control!   ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1651 on: July 02, 2007, 11:51:18 am »
         A brightly painted wagon, refugee from a three-ring circus, now safely on the shores of Widow’s creek.  Emblazoned across the side: ‘Percilla the Monkey Girl’
        “Thank you, we wouldn't have made  it without  you two.”  A sweet voice from a diminutive figure in a flowered sundress, unremarkable but for the fine brown fur covering every inch of exposed skin.  “Please, join us in town for dinner.”
        Ennis toed the dirt
        “C’mon Ennis, go with the flow.”
         Percilla took Ennis's hand.  “Afraid of being stared at, Honey?”  Her eyes sparkled.  “Can’t let a little thing like that keep you from living.”

100 words

Clyde:
Oh! Directly to the core. Wise words from Percilla.
Loved this one.

At the Bar (Part 2)

Ennis stared at him, then turned and slowly walked out of the bar.  He got into his truck and put in the key.  But then he slumped back in the seat and closed his eyes.  ‘Saturday’ he thought ‘ almost four weeks.”  The images flashed through his mind.  Ennis covered his face with his hands and sat there.  He sat there, like that, for a long time.  He didn’t know where he should go.

Marl:
Never enough information, never enough. You keep us guessing and wondering. And of course, you had me with this one right from the first installment on. Already waiting for more.

Childress, Texas, June 1989 [Part 2]

Cowboy:
Oh my. 1989, not '79. Now it makes more sense  :laugh:
My fault, I misread it.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1652 on: July 02, 2007, 12:14:47 pm »
Hey drabblers and drabbler-lovers - popping in with some Monday prompts: 

• splinter
  • bonfire
  • marshmallows

:)
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1653 on: July 02, 2007, 03:28:26 pm »
                                                                        Saturday, June, 24th, 2000     

Rock Springs Herold

First openly gay mayor in Wyoming

Seven Wolves - The 534 inhabitants village east of Rock Springs is the first Wyoming town to be ruled by an openly gay man. Jack C. Twist won the race for the mayor's office last Sunday. The 56 year old Wyomingite campaigned independently from the big parties as a neutral candidate. He and his partner have lived in Seven Wolves, where they own a horse ranch, for seventeen years.
Twist has been a member of town council for years and decided to candidate when the hitherto mayor, Robert A. Everton, announced he wouldn't stand by for another term due to reasons of age.
While Wyoming Equality and other organisations dealing with GLBT affairs spoke of an historic and long overdue event, for Twist the fact that he's gay is of secondary importance. "I want to be the best mayor in Wyoming, not the gayest one." he told the Rocky Springs Herold.  ~CiH

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1654 on: July 02, 2007, 03:37:22 pm »
In case you wonder where the prompts are: uhm, well ....  no prompts in it. Not a single one. Yet it was inspired by the prompt "bonfire". But then I decided it would work better this way and cancelled the bonfire.
BTW, its 164 words.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1655 on: July 02, 2007, 05:35:51 pm »
     The night air was crisp, the bonfire roared.  Half the beer was gone.
     “Ennis, where’s the marshmallows?”  Jack plopped down on a log.  “Ouch!”
     “What?”
     “I think I got a splinter in my butt.”
      “OK, drop em.”
      Jack stood and lowered his Levis to half-mast.  Ennis bent close squinting myopically.  “You realize this is true friendship.”  His rough hand searched gently.  “Couldn’t you’ve got stuck by something bigger?”  He kissed Jack’s rear end.
      Jack grinned.  “Chewed them fingernails til you got a get it with your teeth?”
      “There, it’s out.”  Ennis reached between Jack’s legs and squeezed.  “Found the marshmallows!”

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1656 on: July 02, 2007, 06:22:04 pm »

Seven Wolves - The 534 inhabitants village east of Rock Springs is the first Wyoming town to be ruled by an openly gay man. Jack C. Twist won the race for the mayor's office last Sunday.

Wow, Chrissi.  First the "live" drabble and now this great news article - you've really got a creative spurt going - what a great idea.  I want to move to Seven Wolves - any town that elects Jack Twist mayor is my kind of place!   :)

. . .“There, it’s out.”  Ennis reached between Jack’s legs and squeezed.  “Found the marshmallows!”

100 words

:laugh: :laugh:  Don't stand too close to the fire Jack - don't want to roast those marshmallows!  This is so funny, Clyde - and so sweet and sexy too.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1657 on: July 02, 2007, 07:52:43 pm »
(This was supposed to be short, but it kept growing.....)

The Bonfire

(June 1982)
Ennis sat in his truck for a long, long time.  Then he went back home to the trailer.  He took another beer out of the fridge, lit up a cigarette, and then took out the blank postcard that he had in the drawer by the sink.  He sat down at the table and stared at it.  “Go with the flow, you gotta go with the flow.”  The man’s words kept ringing in his head.  He sat there with the blank postcard in his hand.

All of a sudden, Ennis heard a lot of noise, like a big commotion coming from outside.  He stood up and looked at the small clock.  It somehow was almost ten already.  He didn’t know where the day had gone.  He went to the door and stepped outside.  By the road, at the edge of the trailers, a group of people were standing around, a large bonfire was burning, the only light in the darkness.  He began walking forward very slowly to get a better look, then he stopped.  There was a group of people gathered around the fire, children and grownups, all chattering and laughing.  The children had sticks, with marshmallows at the end, and they were all laughing with glee as they tried to eat them off the sticks.  Ennis stood and watched.

“Hey, Del Mar!”

Ennis looked around, suddenly he saw the man from the bar coming towards him.

“Del Mar, I didn’t know you live here too, where ya been hidin’?  Bill Jensen, don’t ya remember?”

Ennis nodded as the flames danced in front of him.

“Come join us, come on!”

Ennis began walking towards the fire with Bill Jensen.

“Hey, can you grab a couple of those” Bill said, looking towards a pile of old wooden boards.

Ennis grabbed a few and put them in the fire.  He could feel the heat on his face, he could see the embers headed towards him.  The children were running around, shrieking and laughing, the grownups were all talking.  He didn’t hear what they were saying.  He heard the sound of the fire.

Then he felt a sharp pain in his hand.  He looked at it, there were splinters all over.  He stared back at the fire, remembering.  The flames were bright against the blackness of the night.  The pain was sharper, but Ennis stood there, staring into the fire.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1658 on: July 02, 2007, 10:49:33 pm »
Great drabbles the past couple of days,Cowboy, Chrissi and Clyde.

Thanks Marie, Chrissie and Clyde!

Marl:
Never enough information, never enough. You keep us guessing and wondering. And of course, you had me with this one right from the first installment on. Already waiting for more.

Chrissie, Not enough information?  I thought I tell everything! ;)

Merrily, that's really interesting, how you see it, thanks.

Actually I really thought this would be a 'one-shot' of Ennis sitting at the bar, but I guess it's taken on a life.  Just to clarify, I chose 1982 as a compromise, because the screenplay says that the last meeting was in 1981 which seems to early to me.  So I say the last meeting was in 1982 which makes more sense to me, so this is happening a little while after that.

Marlll

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1659 on: July 03, 2007, 01:03:18 am »

This is one of the very best drabble days ever.. they are all terrific.  you should all be very proud.  Chrissi, Cowboy, Merl Merr, Clyde.. You are all outdoing yourselves these days.....janice

Beautiful mind