Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204126 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1710 on: July 06, 2007, 01:04:25 pm »
In His Mind's Eye

Maybe it was time to move them up to Lightning Flat.  Lureen kept asking why he was saving them, and what could he tell her?  He could see himself in his mind's eye, washing their clothes, naked as a newborn except for those boots. The truth was – sometimes he missed those days so much he could hardly stand it – and he couldn't bear to part with any little bit of them, even a pair of worn-out boots. 

~~~~~~~
77 words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1711 on: July 06, 2007, 01:19:02 pm »

Lucise
            That takes us back doesnt it.   beautiful.  Jack can not contain himself.
We already know how Ennis is feeling. Pacing drinking and watching...
              the heat in his chest,
the warmth in his loins -
they took over his senses.          
            Marie 
             That was so sweet and stirring.
                and he couldn't bear to part with any little bit of them, even a pair of worn-out boots.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 02:12:10 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1712 on: July 06, 2007, 01:34:04 pm »
        It was Sunday night.   Ennis had dropped Junior off at Alma's house.  He was on his way home.   He thought about stopping by the bar for a drink.." Ive got time for one" he figured. 
        When he got to the bar, he ordered his regular, placing the money on the bar.  He walked to the back of the room, to see if there was a pool game going on.  A couple of the young guys from the Harrison outfit were in town on Sunday afternoon.  Havin an afternoon of rest and fun.  And more'n a few beers, by the look of em.  As he leaned back against the wall, to stand an drink his beer .  He glanced over at the table in the corner.  Those two middle aged women were there again.. They seemed intent talking to each other this time, and paid him no mind.  He felt eased about that. 
       Then he remembered, he had that card, he had ta mail.  He finished his beer and went to his truck.  Knowing he needed to get that in the post office before leaving town. 
        He was still pondering about his pay this week.?  Was ther gonna be enough left ta pay for them new boots, he sorely needed?   Stoddamier said "the business  had been slow..Moneys tight! " "Whats going to happen to the ranch?  Is it goin the way of the others round these parts.  Just closin up shop.  Who knows about anythin anymore?"
         He hoped Marvin Johnson was still needin a cowboy for the roundup
this year..That card should let him know he was available.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 03:55:42 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1713 on: July 06, 2007, 01:51:43 pm »
Okay, so I seem to remember someone saying they couldn't write AU and they weren't sure about doing humorous stuff - but that couldn't possibly have been you, right?!   :laugh:

Marie

:laugh:    ;) 
Yep, all my drabbles these days keep coming out in an AU world.    ;) 
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1714 on: July 06, 2007, 01:54:13 pm »

Oh, yeah, Janice's "pot" drabble belongs in the Drabble Hall of Fame!   :laugh:
Marie

I second this!    ;D
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1715 on: July 06, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »

You guys are very kind..

Beautiful mind

Offline grieving_pln

• Don't Say Much
  • The wind strikes the trailer like a load of dirt.
    • Grieving Plain
« Reply #1716 on: July 06, 2007, 02:55:50 pm »
Ennis haunted by Jack again?  Poor Ennis. Very good writing. 

Haven't seen you before on here.  Have you been on another BBM board?

Merrily

Thank you Merrily.  I have a few dozen drabbles posted on my LJ.  But this is the first one I've posted here. 
“Bumping down the washboard road Ennis passed the country cemetery fenced with sagging sheep wire, a tiny fenced square on the welling prairie, a few graves bright with plastic flowers, and didn’t want to know Jack was going in there, to be buried on the grieving plain.” – E. A. Proulx

Offline grieving_pln

• Don't Say Much
    • Grieving Plain
« Reply #1717 on: July 06, 2007, 03:01:12 pm »

Ive seen you around Grieving plain.  But i dont remember you here..it is great to have you with us.  It is alway great when new people join us here.  I liked your melancholy and sad story...

Rising to leave, Ennis dropped his glass, mumbling something under his breath that only the heavens would understand.  “You aint got no business soundin’ like that.”
                                                                                                  janice

Thank you Janice.  I stumbled in here about a week and a half ago.  It's very peaceful.  I like it.   
“Bumping down the washboard road Ennis passed the country cemetery fenced with sagging sheep wire, a tiny fenced square on the welling prairie, a few graves bright with plastic flowers, and didn’t want to know Jack was going in there, to be buried on the grieving plain.” – E. A. Proulx

Offline grieving_pln

• Don't Say Much
    • Grieving Plain
« Reply #1718 on: July 06, 2007, 03:08:06 pm »
Grieving_pln, I believe I've read some of your drabbles before and have admired your work.  This is beautiful and profound. So glad to have you here! 
Marie

Thank you Marie.  I feel very welcomed already.   

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1719 on: July 06, 2007, 08:11:04 pm »
       “Daddy we got you a present.”   
       Jenny reached two tiny fingers inside her mouth and fished out a sticky wad of gum.
       “Is that for me?”  Ennis grinned, eyes wide in mock surprise.  He saw their shoes were badly worn, and wondered if Mr. Simon would extend any more credit.
        Jenny giggled and redeposited her gum.
        “Sent away for it ourselves with our own money.”  Junior handed him a small package, postage still on it, the brown paper brightly colored with crayon and tied with a fuzzy red string courtesy of Mrs. Higgins at the gift shop.     
        “Happy Birthday Daddy!”

100 words