Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205246 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1770 on: July 09, 2007, 12:46:08 pm »

Marie that is priceless.  I love the humorous drabbles.  That was absolute
perfection...that is great.                                                           :laugh:  janice :laugh:

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1771 on: July 09, 2007, 01:29:45 pm »
          Ennis realizes he is shirtless as he is still standing in the doorway.  "Scuse me maam.  I'll be right with you, soon as I get my shirt."  He glances around the room, and spies the shirt from yesterdays laundry.  He grabs it up, and slides into the shirt, checking to be sure it is lined up right.  "Maam, he asks, what do you need me for?  "You lost or somp'n?"  "No I am not lost.  She says after seeing he is still trying to button and tuck his shirt. " I'm not sure what I could help you with"  he says to her, and sorta to himself as well. 
          "Well John Waldrup at the Outfitters said you sometimes hire out as a
trail guide.  He gave us directions to your place.  I hope it was alright."  "Sure nuf, he said, more a grunt than a statement."  "My friend Mary Starret and I would like to go do a little hiking, and riding in the area of Brokenback Mountain."  "John said you were usually available, and knew the area very well."  She could see he
had a rather apprehensive look.  Like he wasn't quite sure if he believed her or not. " Well I have two pretty good horses," he stated.  "One an appaloosa, and
one is part quarter, but real good trail horses.   I will need to get another one if theres gonna be three of us goin..You ever did this afore?
            She nodded her head and replied, "yes, but not for a long long time."
"But I think I still have the basic skills.  I used to do it quite a lot when I was
younger."  "Would it be possible for us to go to the Knife and Fork,have some breakfast and maybe discuss the details?  We could pay you well" she concluded. " Guess so maam."   He looked at her quizzically.   "Sure could use the extra pay, and got a bit of time off right now."  She took his hand as he reached out saying "sorry maam, my name is Ennis, Ennis DelMar."  "Forgot my mannors." " Don't worry about it.  My name is Annie Proulx. My friend is Mary Starret.  It would just be the two of us.  If you decide to take us on."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 08:36:35 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1772 on: July 09, 2007, 01:33:09 pm »
I love funny words - they make me think of silly AU's.  ;D

Jedi Master

Jack leaned in with a smile and gave him a quick peck on the cheek, his heart suddenly overflowing with tenderness and love.  "I surely do. After 14 years I always know what you mean.  Now let's get home, my lightsaber is heatin' up."

~~~~~~~
122 words

Too funny.    ;D   Loved it.    :-*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1773 on: July 09, 2007, 01:40:47 pm »
Still at the wedding. Way over for one day, so consider it 2 days...or three...

Childress, Texas June 1989

[Part 3]

"Mighty nice reception you and Mark've thrown, Bridgett." He was concentrating hard, make it like a box, 1,2,3,4 then 1,2,3,4.

"Thank you, Ennis, glad you like it. Though, if I had my way, I would of liked to have it in the back yard, with picnic tables covered in white cloths with small pails of sunflowers and yellow napkins. Like our own reception." Bridgett let out a small sigh. "But, nothing is too good for Daddy's little lass, and I just smiled when they both told me I'd have to go with the flow in this one!"

"Glad ya did." 1,2,3,4, then 1,2,3,4.

"You're a good dancer, take lessons?"

"Ya, from Junior. She insisted I at least be able to do the foxtail."

"Foxtrot."

"Yeah, that's it."

"Well, she taught you well, and she had a good pupil. For a big man, you're really light on your feet."

He looked up, startled, and 1,2,3,4, came out 1,2,4,3.

"Ouch!"

"Sorry. Lost my concentration." Blushing a bit. "You okay?" 1,2,3,4 then 1,2,3,4.

"Oh yes, nothing that Mark hasn't done before, too. Did I say something wrong? You had this funny look..." Bridgett's eyes got wider, and it was her turn to blush. "Shit... I mean, damn... I mean... Oh hell, Ennis, not very ladylike, was it? Now, you have to know that I'd never..."

"Already do know it. Just reminded me of somethin someone said a long time ago, that's all." He caught Jack's eye across the dance floor and grinned at him. 

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1774 on: July 09, 2007, 02:23:26 pm »

“Ennis, Riverton ain’t the only place in the world.”
     “This here is all I know, Jack.  I don’t know nothin else.” He shook his head.  “What you want me to do?  Go huntin alligators in Okeefenokee swamp?  Or maybe we should be raisin Appaloosas in Timbuktu?  I can’t do that.”   There were tears in his eyes.  “I can’t hardly keep myself fed and a roof over my head in this dinky little town and you want me to go out and stand with you against the whole damn world.  What chance we gone a have doin that?”
      “We could try.”

100 words

So!  You theenk you make it eempossible to wrench the heart weeth the funny words?  HAHA to you!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1775 on: July 09, 2007, 02:32:01 pm »
Marie and Clyde,
Brilliant drabbles!!!!   :)

Janice, Cowboy
Glad you got the story bug too, excellent. :)
 ;D
Marl

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1776 on: July 09, 2007, 03:27:48 pm »
Been just lurking reading and enjoying for weeks (months?), so this is a long overdue thanks for all the wonderful drabbles.  :D

Quote from: mariez

"Nah – the old guy – ya know, Okeefenokee or whatever the hell his name was."

"I surely do. After 14 years I always know what you mean."
Absolutely hysterical.
And so moving.

Quote from: Clyde-B

you want me to go out and stand with you against the whole damn world.  What chance we gone a have doin that?”
      “We could try.”
Got me right in the heart with that one.

Janice, I just loved the so realistic sound and flow of the dialogue. Very convincing.

Cowboy, what a sweet moment in time, and I could just see Ennis catching Jack's eye and grinning at him. Thanks for giving them and us one of all those moments they should have had.

Fern
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1777 on: July 09, 2007, 05:33:41 pm »
(One of these days, I won't go on so long...   Back to this....)

The Dinner

(September 1985)
Ennis, Tom and Alma Jr. went inside the little house.  Kurt was in the kitchen, drinking a beer by the sink.  He was wearing a new white shirt and crisp blue jeans with the shiny black belt.  Alma Jr. smiled when she saw him.

“Kurt” Junior said, “this is Daddy’s friend, Tom.”  Kurt turned and shook Tom’s hand.  Ennis held out the present.  Junior took the package, opened it, and went over to kiss Ennis’s cheek. 

“Daddy, it’s perfect, just what the baby needs, thank you!!!  Hey, dinner’s all ready, let’s just sit down and eat.”

Kurt, Ennis and Tom sat down at the table.  Junior lit the candles, the light casting a glow on her pale face, and then she began serving the meal.  They ate in silence, each throwing glances at the others.  “You sure are a good cook, not like your Daddy” Tom said, then he winked at Ennis.  Kurt stared at Tom, then at Ennis, then at Tom again.

After the meal Tom got up and began clearing the table.  “You don’t have to do that” Junior said.

“It’s my pleasure” Tom replied.

“Daddy, come with me to see the baby.”  Ennis got up and they went to the little bedroom, and to the crib.  The baby was sleeping calmly, Ennis touched her cheek.  “Daddy, you really oughta come over more” Junior said.  Ennis gave her a little smile.

They went back to the kitchen.  “There sure are some fish in the Okefenokee, got some huge ones there, you oughta go there sometime”  Tom was saying.  Kurt stared at him.  “We rode these Andaloosans, man, they sure were something” Tom went on.  Kurt kept staring at him.

“Daddy, let’s go for a walk.”

Ennis and Junior went outside, it was a clear evening, with a cool fresh breeze.  They walked down the silent street, then turned and sat down on the steps of the house.

“Daddy, Tom seems really nice.” Junior said.  Ennis looked down at the ground.

“Daddy, you know…..Daddy, I…..  I….”

Suddenly the door opened behind them.  “Alma, will you get in here!!!” Kurt yelled.  “Get in here, the baby’s cryin’ like crazy.  Now!”

Alma Jr.got up and rushed inside the house.  Ennis didn’t move.  He sat there, staring at the ground.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 05:39:13 pm by Cameron »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1778 on: July 09, 2007, 06:53:48 pm »
. . . . She took his hand as he reached out saying "sorry maam, my name is Ennis, Ennis DelMar."  "Forgot my mannors." " Don't worry about it.  My name is Annie Proulx. My friend is Mary Starret.  It would just be the two of us.  If you decide to take us on." 

Great dialogue, Janice.  And these last lines sent a little thrill down my spine.

. . . . He caught Jack's eye across the dance floor and grinned at him. 

Nice to see more of this, cowboy.  So funny and sweet.  :)

. . . . .
So!  You theenk you make it eempossible to wrench the heart weeth the funny words?  HAHA to you!

Clyde, weeth your mastery of the words, nothing ees eempossible.   ;D  (And wrench my heart, you did).

The Dinner
. . . . .
Kurt, Ennis and Tom sat down at the table.  Junior lit the candles, the light casting a glow on her pale face, and then she began serving the meal.  They ate in silence, each throwing glances at the others.  “You sure are a good cook, not like your Daddy” Tom said, then he winked at Ennis.  Kurt stared at Tom, then at Ennis, then at Tom again.
Alma Jr.got up and rushed inside the house.  Ennis didn’t move.  He sat there, staring at the ground. 

Oh, dear.  Talk about awkward.  Sigh. Now what?  Great writing, Marl.

Thanks, all
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1779 on: July 09, 2007, 08:55:48 pm »

"Nah – the old guy – ya know, Okeefenokee or whatever the hell his name was."

"Okeefen---???"   Jack stopped and let out a whoop of laughter.  "You mean Obi Wan Kenobi?" 

Ennis gave him a sidelong glance, trying to suppress his own laughter.  "Shut the hell up – you know what I mean." 

You can hear this happening!     :laugh:

She took his hand as he reached out saying "sorry maam, my name is Ennis, Ennis DelMar."  "Forgot my mannors." " Don't worry about it.  My name is Annie Proulx. My friend is Mary Starret.  It would just be the two of us.  If you decide to take us on."

Oh, this sounds like fun!   ;D

"Glad ya did." 1,2,3,4, then 1,2,3,4.

"You're a good dancer, take lessons?"

"Ya, from Junior. She insisted I at least be able to do the foxtail."

"Foxtrot."

"Yeah, that's it."

Yup!  Can see it.   :D