Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205231 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1800 on: July 10, 2007, 03:54:10 pm »
My dabble.. :)

Full Moon

"Jack, are ya high?" Ennis poked his head out through the tent flap.

"Where the fuck would ya get an idea like that?”

“Wild guess - yer singin’ that moonlight song again and yer spinnin’ round an’ round and pissin’ all over the goddamn side of the tent, Jack.”

“Shit!”  Jack exclaimed as he fumbled with his pants.

Ennis laughed, shook his head and lay back on the bedroll.  Jack burst in a moment later.

“Let’s go for a swim!”

“That’s it.  Yer high as a kite.  Git down here..”

“Make me!” Jack tore off the rest of his clothes and ran buck naked into the night.

“Now, that’s not the kind of moon I was expectin’ just now,” Ennis smiled to himself and jumped out of the tent.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 04:04:46 pm by Lucise »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1801 on: July 10, 2007, 04:17:52 pm »
Damn - what a drabble day!  Those were some awesome prompts.

. . . Jack, he faultered, so quiet you would not even notice, if you were standin next to him.   Maybe i'll see ya again tonight."
Aww, Janice - Sniff.  Really felt that.

Thanks for directing us to some beautiful writings, Outrider.

Maybe the best cure for getting a song out of your head is to write it into a drabble. Writing in a universe where I have never gone before...
 . .  .
He stood up, lurching, drunk. “We can go dancin in the moonlight, Jack. You n me, spirits in the night…all night…”

L, it's clear you can touch me deeply ... in any universe.  Amazing.  (Hope the earworm is gone - I think I've got it now  :)  )

. . .     “Gettin to the makin love in the dirt part a that song.  Never thought I’d like Bruce Springsteen.”

Clyde, you are the "100 Word Wonder"  - loved this last line.   ;D

. . . . As he watched them and yearned to be there:  to be one of them, he knew instinctively, he was one of them.  The unavoidable veil of alcohol descended on him, and sent him deep into a dreamless sleep.  He awoke the next morning, as wordless and soulless as when he arrived, and the knowledge that he would never return to Brokeback Mountain was already as secure a part of him as his skin.

Wonderful to see you again, Scott - your writing is always so special.  That is so damn moving.   

My dabble.. :)
 . . . .
“Now, that’s not the kind of moon I was expectin’ just now,” Ennis smiled to himself and jumped out of the tent.

Yay!  You made me laugh, M!  Love seeing them boys happy. :D

Thanks, all
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1802 on: July 10, 2007, 05:05:19 pm »

Wow Scott its great to have you back with us today.  It seems like old times again.  Good one.   Which Lee was that for.

Milli;  a funny one.  this is a red letter day for drabble world

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1803 on: July 10, 2007, 07:09:04 pm »
(Wonderful drabble day!!!!!!  Here's my 'drabble'....)

Spirits

(Sept 1985)
Ennis stayed on the steps after Junior went in.  Soon Tom and Kurt came out of the house.  “We better go” Tom said.

Ennis started walking back to the door.  “Just wanna say goodbye to Junior” he said.

“No, I don’t think that’s a good idea, she’s feedin’ the baby” Kurt said, as he moved in front of the door.

Ennis glared at him, and took another step.  Kurt glared back at him.

“Listen, we better go” Tom said, placing his hand on Ennis’s arm.  “You’ll see her soon.”

Ennis took one more glance at Kurt and then they got into the truck and drove off.  They rode in silence.   Then Tom turned the radio on and played with the knob.  The radio crackled and hissed “…dancing in the moonlight, ……everybody here is out of sight……”

“Sure is a good night for this song” Tom said and chuckled, as the full moon shone in front of  them.

Ennis didn’t answer.  “Hey, everythin's okay, really” Tom said.  Ennis just looked straight ahead at the moon.  They soon got home and walked towards Ennis’s trailer and sat down on the steps.  Tom took out two cigarettes.  They smoked in silence.

“Listen, I’m gonna go home to do some things, ya comin' over later?”  Tom asked.

“I don’t know.”

Tom sighed.  “Fine, suit yourself” he said, and left.

Ennis took out another cigarette and lit it with a match and watched the smoke drift away.  He looked at the moon.  Then he looked over towards Tom’s trailer, the light was shining through the window.  Ennis began to get up, but suddenly the wind began to swirl.  Amidst the wind, all remained still, except for the lilac bush just beyond the trailer.  The lilac bush began to shake, as it did that night, not long ago.

Ennis sat back down, and looked all around.  The lilac bush kept shaking.  Ennis sat motionless, the cigarette burning in his hand, as the spirits of the night danced around him.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1804 on: July 11, 2007, 11:56:15 am »

here is some prompts for today:

Master
           Waves or wave
            fragmented

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1805 on: July 11, 2007, 01:13:37 pm »
. . . . , but suddenly the wind began to swirl.  Amidst the wind, all remained still, except for the lilac bush just beyond the trailer.  The lilac bush began to shake, as it did that night, not long ago.

Ennis sat back down, and looked all around.  The lilac bush kept shaking.  Ennis sat motionless, the cigarette burning in his hand, as the spirits of the night danced around him.

Ahh, yes.  Jack and the wind.  Love the lilac bush again.  Simply beautiful, Marl - and heartbreaking, too.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1806 on: July 11, 2007, 01:16:21 pm »
Timeless

At moments he least expected, precious memories would burst into his mind, sharp and fragmented.  He longed for time alone when he could let those fragments soften and bind, forming an unbroken circle – without beginning or end. 

~~~~~~
38 words

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1807 on: July 11, 2007, 01:57:46 pm »

v'ry nice Marie
       He longed for time alone when he could let those fragments soften and bind, forming an unbroken circle – without beginning or end. 

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1808 on: July 11, 2007, 05:14:44 pm »
            Ennis drives along the two lane blacktop, the heat rising in waves and shimmering into the heat heavy sky.  The sun is beating down and splashing off the fields of hay.  It makes him think of an ocean.  That book Moby Dick from when he was in school.  The one the teacher had given them, to read.  He thinks back, how he is sure he could have liked it much better if he had been able to see the words with more ease.  It always give him head aches ta read.  He guessed it musta been.  He needed glasses.  Sometimes he figured he oughta get some.  But never seemed to be enough money.  Even Jack used ta say it..   "You should get ya a pair a specs.  Old man."
            He pulled onto the gravel parking space next to the diner,  that held for parking.  He started to feel the knot of misery in his gut.  The one he seemed to get ever time he thought about Jack, and when he had to go be around strange folks.
            Jack was the only other person in the miserable world he was ever totally calm around.  He took a deep breath, stepped from the truck, and ducked his head.  Preparin to face the unknown, once again.

209 wds
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:34:07 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1809 on: July 11, 2007, 06:50:25 pm »

While Ennis watched from shore, Jack’s pale butt bobbed to the surface of the lake.  Gentle windswept waves broke around him, chunks of sunlight fragmented through lacy clouds.
     “You a prune yet?”
     “What’s your hurry?”
     “Them fish gone a be taken siestas before we even get started.”
      Jack waded ashore, grabbed his towel.  Water dripped from the hair above his ankles, tiny droplets glistened between the freckles on his shoulders.  “Not a problem, I’m an old pro.”
      “Professional fisherman? You?  More like a Master Baiter.”
      Jack laughed, looped his towel around Ennis’s waist, drew him close.  “Caught you didn’t I?”

100 words