Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205224 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1850 on: July 14, 2007, 05:32:23 pm »
(Thanks, Marie. :))

Once Again

(July 2000)
Cassie walked around the flea market for a little while longer.  More vases, more plates, lots of old books, and a table of old rods and fish bait.  She stood there, staring at them.  Then she left the flea market, and drove to the store.  But she sat there and didn’t go in, she drove home instead.

As soon as she got in, Cassie poured a glass of wine, and took out the things she needed for the kettle of fish that she was making for that night.  She sat down at the table, drank some wine, and closed her eyes.  It all came back, those years, the feelings, the waiting.

Suddenly the phone rang, Cassie jumped and rushed over to answer it.  “Yeah, okay, that’s fine, really, no problem, maybe some other time” she said and put the phone back down.

Cassie put the food back in the fridge and poured some more wine.  She went to the living room and turned on the television.  The tv was on the Lifetime channel already.  A movie had just started, it was about the one that got away.  Cassie sat down on the couch and drank some more wine.  She had seen this one before, many times.  But she sat there and watched it again.

(215 words)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 05:38:00 pm by Cameron »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1851 on: July 15, 2007, 08:34:55 am »
Let's see, I have the letters P and R on my mind so let's try...

• piano recital
  • retirement plan
  • pumpkin pie recipe

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1852 on: July 15, 2007, 12:47:29 pm »
Waves from July 10.

September 18th, 1990

A bit sunburned Ennis and Jack step off the plane in Denver uncharacteristically dressed in Hawaiian shirts, khaki shorts and leather sandals. The pair returning from a week in Maui, a trip won in a contest sponsored by a major farm animal vitamin supplier, for guessing the number of vitamin tablets in a large mason jar. Ennis was very proud of the fact he guessed it exactly correct, never failing to point out to Jack that he was off buy more than 400. A lifetime on horses taught both good balance, after a few tries managing to stand up on their rented surfboard without a lesson.  Ennis achieved this first, again pointing out his prowess to Jack, always challenging him that he could ride the longest, venturing out most mornings in their Avis Toyota Corolla wagon in search of the tallest surf. 'Ya like riddin' those waves don'tcha Ennis?' Jack would say. 'Yep....sure do!....but not as much as rid......' Ennis would reply without thinking. 'As much as what ?...what did ya say Ennis?...as much as....'  Huh?..... Damn you Twist!.... ought'a hog tie ya....." On the first day Jack had said 'Gotta get us some of them Aloha shirts...cant be looking like we just stepped off a horse....don't even have us no shorts.' At a shop near the hotel 'How 'bout this one Ennis? see all them palm trees, and leaves in the design." Jack holding out a Tori Richard lawn shirt. 'It's over thirty dollars!...that's to much fer just one shirt!' 'It's ok Ennis...'member we got some spending money from the contest...we got enough.' "Well....all right then...where we gonna wear these back home?' 'Don't know...but we sure get use of of 'm here.' Jack replied picking out three a piece.

The two retrieve their luggage head out to the old Ford pickup, the one Ennis had long ago given to Andy now an extra vehicle for the ranch, Andy mostly using Jack's truck,  left in the long term parking garage. His old truck fired right up for Ennis as if eager to leave the crowded lot, return to the open space of the ranch to serve a faithful friend. As Ennis merged out onto the highway Jack sitting back in the seat, left leg resting on the transmission tunnel, spoke up. "So there Ennis...did ya like Hawaii?"

"Yep Ah guess....but."

"But  what Ennis?"

"But...Ah guess Ah like it here better......with...you..."

"Was with ya there..." Jack tilting his head west.

"Ah know...just like it here....better......with you....'

Jack looks at Ennis, Ennis looks back then at the road."This...here....with you ....our home....ours..." Ennis can no longer speak.

Jack gently reaches for Ennis's hand, links the fingers together, squeezes tight, rests it on his leg, gazes out the open window at the passing landscape, content. Two cowboys riding the their pickup  in Hawaiian shirts, shorts and sandals returning home from a trip across the sea.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 01:42:25 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1853 on: July 15, 2007, 01:23:18 pm »
Well, I can't take credit where it's not due, Janice.  It was Clyde's compliment about the "nice leisurely pace..."  - and I'm sure you're not boring him!   :laugh:

What a great picture to go along with another touching drabble. Thanks!

Marie

Janice,
It was my quote, and I meant what I said.  There are some stories that are like a nice leisurely walk through a garden, you don't have anyplace you're in a hurry to get to, you just enjoy walking and seeing what's there.

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1854 on: July 15, 2007, 01:31:53 pm »
Cutting Bait

He waited impatiently at the counter, listening to the station owner give his son what for.

". . . so you'd better fish or cut bait, Billy . . ." 

Shit.  He had his creel, but he remembered his tackle box was still on the floor in the back of the closet.   Hmmm – well, no matter.  He didn't really need it.

He was speeding down the highway an hour later while she stood stock-still staring at the forgotten box.  "Well, this a fine kettle of fish," she murmured. She heard no humor in her own voice, only a resigned determination.

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Was this why she tied that note to his line?   ;D
(Thanks, Marie. :))

Once Again

(July 2000)
Cassie walked around the flea market for a little while longer.  More vases, more plates, lots of old books, and a table of old rods and fish bait.  She stood there, staring at them.  Then she left the flea market, and drove to the store.  But she sat there and didn’t go in, she drove home instead.

As soon as she got in, Cassie poured a glass of wine, and took out the things she needed for the kettle of fish that she was making for that night.  She sat down at the table, drank some wine, and closed her eyes.  It all came back, those years, the feelings, the waiting.

Suddenly the phone rang, Cassie jumped and rushed over to answer it.  “Yeah, okay, that’s fine, really, no problem, maybe some other time” she said and put the phone back down.

Cassie put the food back in the fridge and poured some more wine.  She went to the living room and turned on the television.  The tv was on the Lifetime channel already.  A movie had just started, it was about the one that got away.  Cassie sat down on the couch and drank some more wine.  She had seen this one before, many times.  But she sat there and watched it again.

(215 words)

Marl, Read through it and didn't even notice the prompts!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1855 on: July 15, 2007, 02:55:39 pm »
Waves from July 10.
 . . . .'Ya like riddin' those waves don'tcha Ennis?' Jack would say. 'Yep....sure do!....but not as much as rid......' Ennis would reply without thinking. 'As much as what ?...what did ya say Ennis?...as much as....'  Huh?..... Damn you twist!.... ought'a hog tie ya....."

. . .Jack gently reaches for Ennis's hand, links the fingers together, squeezes tight, rests it on his leg, gazes out the wind at the passing landscape, content. Two cowboys riding the their pickup  in Hawaiian shirts, shorts and sandals returning home from a trip across the sea.

Mark!  Good to see ya, bud. We've missed you.  J&E surfing - love it.  Not surprised that they'd be naturals.   ;D  And, of course, the perfect ending.   :)

. . .

Aww...Cassie's not only seen that movie many times, she's lived it many times.  Always glad to see Cassie talking to you, Marl.   I really appreciate the little details you put into your stories, I can picture them perfectly.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1856 on: July 15, 2007, 03:08:18 pm »
Thoughts Around the Thanksgiving Table

"'Stud Duck,' my ass.  That's the last time that ignorant sumbitch talks to me that way."

"That little pissant – can't believe he talked to me like that."

"Oh my Lord, such unpleasantness.  Good thing I made L.D.'s favorite pumpkin pie recipe."

"Good for you, honey – 'bout time you put Daddy in his place."

"What is this stuff, anyway?"

~~~~~~
59 Words
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:41:11 pm by mariez »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1857 on: July 15, 2007, 03:14:59 pm »

Thanks for the comments guys, Clyde and Marie, I am hoping not to be boring, i've never done a story before.  I am trying to make it as much about the journey, as the destination.                                     Janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1858 on: July 15, 2007, 06:10:03 pm »
     Supper ended, Jack wasn’t home.  That phone call had unnerved Lureen.  She fidgeted, raised the receiver, dialed. 
    “LaShawn?  This’s Lureen.  What?  No, honey I’ve not tried that pumpkin pie recipe yet.   What?  Yes, Bobby’s piano recital’s next week.” 
     Dammit LaShawn, you chatter like a squirrel.
    “Listen honey, this’s important.  Is Randall there?  He is?  Jack’s not home yet, I’m half frantic.  Would you ask him if he knows where Jack is?”

Over Jack’s shoulder, in the bed of his own truck, a new voice, “Better cancel them retirement plans.”  Jack spun around.  Behind him, the mechanic raised the tire iron.

100 words

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 07:08:20 pm by Clyde-B »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1859 on: July 15, 2007, 07:25:59 pm »

Oh dear, Clyde, oh dear, oh dear.!!!!   heart drops-------------------------

Beautiful mind