Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205288 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2080 on: August 11, 2007, 05:13:50 pm »
Thoughtful Brown Eyes

"Oh, thank you, Mr. Twist! You’re so generous. I love babysitting Bobby. He's so adorable, gonna be as handsome as his daddy."  The 16 year-old giggled, thrust her ample chest forward and stumbled slightly, brushing against Jack as he held the door. "Oooh, sorry!" 

"That's what my mama would charitably call a "zesty gal," Jack said to Lureen as he entered the bedroom, chuckling. 

Lureen snorted. "I might be jealous," she teased, "but I know that silly gigglers aren't your type." 

"That's true," Jack murmured, twitching slightly as he suddenly imagined a pair of thoughtful brown eyes regarding him quietly.   

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2081 on: August 12, 2007, 09:06:10 am »
Hi everyone!

Sorry I missed the party completely yesterday. We were over in New Hampshire for the day, which gave me an idea for a prompt (for more details, see my blog)

• boulder
  • 5000 tons
  • granite

Have fun!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2082 on: August 12, 2007, 02:09:12 pm »

“Jack said you was the best friend he ever had.”     
     Ennis’s tension drained.  “He said that?”
     “More’n once.  My apology if you understood me to mean different.”
      Ennis sighed, relaxed, the twitch in his fist calmed.
     “I’m sure Aunt Matt’ll be glad a see you.”
     “Ennis, I’d really like to meet Jack’s mother.  Surviving out here she’s got to be hardy, zesty, full of life.”
     “She’s as good as a angel, but the mister and me don’t get along.”
     “Uncle John?  He passed about six months back.  Left Aunt Matt in a terrible bind.”
     “Ennis, please.  Maybe we could help.”

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2083 on: August 12, 2007, 10:43:55 pm »
     “Ennis, I’d really like to meet Jack’s mother.  Surviving out here she’s got to be hardy, zesty, full of life.”
     “She’s as good as a angel, ..........”

Hardy, zesty, full of life, and good as a angel ....just like her son.  Very nice, Clyde.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2084 on: August 12, 2007, 10:49:22 pm »
Granite

"Come in Mama."  He had heard her soft footsteps before her soft knock.

"I'm sorry, Jack.  I know how much you'd like him to come and watch you."  She hesitated. "Maybe I can ….,"

"No, Mama. It don't matter." Jack forced a smile. "Ain't nothing gonna change his mind."

"Your Uncle Harold always did say he had a will of granite."  She sighed and kissed his cheek tenderly before leaving. 

Jack sat quietly and stared into the darkness, telling himself it didn't hurt.  But he heard the bitterness in his own voice.  "Will of granite and a heart to match." 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2085 on: August 12, 2007, 11:30:01 pm »
Marie and Clyde,

Two drabbles in a row with Mrs. Twist, and such good ones! Thank you! I always enjoy all your drabbles so much.

And (a long overdue) thank you to you both  :-*  for your kind words about my Ennis drabble a while back.

Fern
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2086 on: August 13, 2007, 01:18:58 pm »
Always great to see you, Fern!   :)

Why don't we start the work week with these:

• a little dog
  • backyard
  • colorful

:)
Marie

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2087 on: August 13, 2007, 08:57:01 pm »

The Walk

He walked past houses and stores, past cats running across the street, and a little dog barking.  He walked past front yards, with colorful flowers all over, and backyards where old men were taking their daily naps.  But he didn’t see any of it at all. 

All he saw were the images from the last time, the pain and the anger and the shock.  He kept going and going, as if it would make him forget, as if it would make the pain deep within him lessen.  But it didn’t, not at all.  The walking just made him remember more.

(100 words, first time ever!!!)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2088 on: August 13, 2007, 09:08:35 pm »

Great job Marl

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2089 on: August 14, 2007, 07:47:38 am »

Ennis had never wished John Twist dead, planted beneath a granite tombstone, but hearing that news felt like a 5000 ton boulder had been lifted off his shoulders. 
    The trio made their way to the little white frame house.  Ennis in the truck, Wylie and her on horseback, she sat mounted awkwardly behind him, arms wrapped around his waist. 
    Ennis got a big hug from Mattie Twist and, ashamed he couldn’t pronounce her name, introduced his companion simply as “Mrs. P.”  Once inside, everybody gathered around the table in the white kitchen for fresh hot coffee and some cherry cake. 

100 words