Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205193 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2100 on: August 16, 2007, 08:33:43 am »
Ennis turns to the next page of Hamley's saddle catalog. A bridle catches his attention. Black leather, dark oil finish.

Constcructed with high quality, 5/8“ hand edged, doubled and stitched bridle leather.

Good quality.

...accented with engraved silver plate, conchos and standard buckle sets.

Nice, too.

Special offer: matching reins and breast collar included.

The pice is not too high, seeing it includes the reins and breast collar. Dottie sure could use a new bridle.

„Ennis, the toaster broke today.“

Ennis puts the catalog aside and follows Alma into the kitchen.

Dottie's old bridle will do for another while.

100 words! A first for me  :).

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2101 on: August 16, 2007, 01:22:21 pm »
       That same evening, Ludd Craven and Ditch Hobbs, two graduates of  the high-security cellblock at Rawlins, sat in the back booth at Woody’s.  They’d been drifting; searching for someplace to practice their own sinister notion of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. ....

Uh Oh.  You are full of surprises, Clyde.  And no need to apologize at all- good luck on your new job.   I actually think it's harder to stick to the 100 words - but the challenge is fun.   :)

Ennis puts the catalog aside and follows Alma into the kitchen.

Dottie's old bridle will do for another while.

100 words! A first for me  :). 

Dreams diverted, real life calls.  Nicely done, Chrissie, great picture.  Yay on the 100 words.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2102 on: August 16, 2007, 01:25:56 pm »
A Wise Woman

"You should've seen the look on that bastard's face when I showed my cards. Ha!  'Poker face' my ass, I could read him like an open book, see ……"

Jack set his face in a look of polite interest as L.D. continued to delight his audience with yet another story of his endless accomplishments.  But as his eyes quickly scanned the group of men, he noticed the sideways glances, the uncomfortable fidgeting.  Maybe not so delighted at that.

"Nobody likes a boaster, Jack."   He could hear his mama's gentle words of admonishment and smiled inwardly.  A wise woman, his mama. 
~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2103 on: August 17, 2007, 07:27:17 am »

Mattie gently touched Ennis’s shoulder.  “I have something I think you’ll want.”     
      She disappeared into the other room and returned with a cardboard container, size of a coffee can, heavy like a large paper weight.  The crematory label had Jack’s name and dates filled in with a No. 2 pencil.
      “But... the family plot...?”
      “Every time John would bring it up, I’d just remind him of some odd job that needed doin more.  He didn’t want a part with them anyway.”
      Mattie handed them to Ennis; he unconsciously hugged them close. 
      “They’re yours now.  It’s what Jack would have wanted.”

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2104 on: August 17, 2007, 01:27:31 pm »
      Mattie gently touched Ennis’s shoulder.  “I have something I think you’ll want.”    
      She disappeared into the other room and returned with a cardboard container, size of a coffee can, heavy like a large paper weight.  The crematory label had Jack’s name and dates filled in with a No. 2 pencil.
      “But... the family plot...?”
      “Every time John would bring it up, I’d just remind him of some odd job that needed doin more.  He didn’t want a part with them anyway.”
      Mattie handed them to Ennis; he unconsciously hugged them close. 
      “They’re yours now.  It’s what Jack would have wanted.”

Look how you've turned those mundane prompts into something so touching.  Amazing.

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2105 on: August 17, 2007, 01:28:49 pm »
Hey, drabblers.  How about some "q" words for today:

• quench
  • quarter
  • quarrel

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2106 on: August 17, 2007, 11:01:45 pm »
Hey, Susie - always nice to see you.  And you've got some gorgeous new pictures again!  Wow - I could stare at those for a very long time, love the black and white.  :)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2107 on: August 17, 2007, 11:05:36 pm »
Unquenchable

Ennis dug into his pocket, counted out quarters and dimes and wearily tossed them onto the bar.  He lifted the cold, damp bottle to his pounding forehead for a moment before taking a long drink, glancing at the clock. He was dead tired and needed sleep, but he wanted to avoid another quarrel. Another half hour. She'd be asleep by then

What he couldn't avoid, much as he tried, were those ever-present thoughts. It ain't Alma's fault and it ain't about her job.  The beer was cool and refreshing, but there were needs inside of him that couldn't be quenched. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2108 on: August 18, 2007, 08:32:03 am »

Ditch licked his lips.  “She’s somethin ain’t she?  Like to squeeze them melons.”
     “Damn sight better than that old roaster we dumped at Seminoe Reservoir.”
     “Shut up, Ludd.  Always  braggin, always a big mouth boaster, you gone a get us both canned.”
     “Here’s your drinks fellas.”  Trudy sat down two coasters, two beers, two shots.   She tugged her top where it had ridden down and blushed.  “I ought a know better than to wear this silly thing.”
     Ludd raised his shotglass and smiled.  “That there’s deservin of a toast.  I’ll be toaster...  Here’s to you and your... tips.” 
     Ditch choked. 

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2109 on: August 18, 2007, 03:19:23 pm »
......I'll have to give it a go .... sticking to exactly 100 words should be quite a challenge!

Susie 

Yep, I think the strict definition of a drabble is 100 words, but we're a little more relaxed here at Drabblefest - anything up to around 300 words is fine - so please do give it a try and don't let the 100 word thing stop you (although I have to say it can be fun trying to hit that exactly  ;)

....     Ludd raised his shotglass and smiled.  “That there’s deservin of a toast.  I’ll be toaster...  Here’s to you and your... tips.” 
     Ditch choked. 

You do have a way with words, Clyde.   ;D

Marie