Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205337 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2110 on: August 18, 2007, 03:22:19 pm »
For any Saturday drabblers out there, let's try:

• strict
  • uneven
  • obsolete

Have fun!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2111 on: August 18, 2007, 04:52:19 pm »

Ludd Craven’s muscular hand pounded Hobbs scrawny back.  “Sorry miss, Ditch don’t drink much.  He’ll be alright.”
       “I can get him some water.”
       “No, thanks, t’ain’t necessary.”
       “If you’re sure.”  She headed back toward the bar.
       Craven bent in close.  “You’re callin attention to us.  You better quench this nonsense right now.  I ain’t gone a quarrel about it.”  He grabbed Hobbs wrist, gave a sharp twist. 
       Hobbs gasped. 
      “Nobody around here’s the wiser.  Nobody’s gone a be.  We gone a find us some living quarters and a respectable lookin job.  Gone a lay low til we see what’s what.”

100 words

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2112 on: August 19, 2007, 12:09:55 pm »
Hey drabblers,

How about for Sunday:

• pocket watch
  • baby carriage
  • Venus

Have fun!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #2113 on: August 19, 2007, 03:13:28 pm »

Ennis and Mattie Twist were at the kitchen table when Mrs. P. and Wylie came down from Jack’s room.  Wylie nodded at the funerary container.  “You goin a Brokeback?”
       Ennis looked into clear blue eyes and swallowed hard.  “What?”
      “Scattered up on Brokeback, that’s what Uncle Jack wanted, wasn’t it?”
      “I’d love to see Brokeback Mountain Ennis, you’ve talked so much about it.”
      “Mrs P...”  Ennis looked helpless.  “Truck won’t make it.  Them uneven roads.  There’s a breakdown, its parts probably obsolete.”
      “Simmer down you two, leave him be.  No need bein strict, give poor Ennis some time to think.”

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2114 on: August 19, 2007, 09:38:54 pm »
...       Ennis looked into clear blue eyes and swallowed hard.  “What?”
      “Scattered up on Brokeback, that’s what Uncle Jack wanted, wasn’t it?”

Oh, my - I'm getting teary already.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2115 on: August 19, 2007, 09:44:54 pm »
Priceless

The rich surely were different.  Fayette called it "antiquing," but Jack thought it was scavenging old junk.  He made his way around a baby carriage and a reproduction "Venus di Milo" and his eyes passed over a pocket watch in the glass case and zeroed in on the harmonica.  He bent to look more closely.  His harmonica had to be older than that one! Wait until he told Ennis that a priceless antique was serenading him.  He almost laughed out loud imagining Ennis's retort.  As he played out the banter in his mind, his spirits lifted and his heart warmed.

~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2116 on: August 20, 2007, 12:27:51 pm »
These prompts pretty much describe my day so far:

• Monday
  • dreary
  • raining cats and dogs

Hope y'all are having a better day  :)
Marie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2117 on: August 20, 2007, 02:39:17 pm »

Jack and Ennis were on the trail early on Monday, it was early and the night had been very wet.. It wasn't raining, but it was chill to the bone, and dreary.  Jack leaned into the wind, asking Ennis  "had he camped out before on a wetter weekend?"  Ennis was used to this kind of
weather, and said, "no Jack, but I would rather be campin with you when its rainin cats and dogs,
than to be home, by a fire warm alone." 
         Jack smiled, and all of a sudden he didn't mind the weather as much,  saying out loud
"What a day."

100 wds

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2118 on: August 20, 2007, 06:59:36 pm »
(Marie, the day was the same here too. Hope yours got better.  Back to 'The Neighbor'....)

After the Storm

(August 1986)
Ennis finally joined Tom in the diner.  “Hey, what took ya so long?  I was afraid you were washed away by that rain.”  Tom said, glancing at Ennis walking to the table.  Ennis didn’t answer.  He looked Tom and sat down, picking up the stained menu on the table.

“That sure was somethin’, that rain was worse that cats and dogs, it was rainin’ elephants.” Tom said, and laughed to himself.  Ennis smiled, and kept his eyes on Tom.

“Whatya havin’?”  the waitress asked as she come over, an older women with bleached hair and kind brown eyes.  Tom ordered for both of them, Ennis still didn’t say a word.  The waitress came back in what seemed like a minute with their coffee and their eggs.  “Sure is a beautiful day” she said, winking at Ennis.  But he didn’t notice her, he was staring at Tom.

“So, are we goin’ on?”  Tom asked “or are we just goin' back?  Hell, I don’t even remember what day today is, seems like we’ve been drivin' for months."

“It’s Monday” Ennis said quietly, now staring into his coffee.  But he didn’t answer Tom’s  question.  They soon finished the breakfast and went outside.  It was no longer raining, but it was still dark and dreary out.  Ennis got into the driver’s seat of the truck, Tom sat down next to him. 

“So what is it goin’ to be?  We gotta decide.  Hey, you haven’t said a word.  What’s goin' on?”

Ennis didn’t reply.  He just took Tom’s hand in his, squeezed it tight, then brought it to his lips.  He tenderly kissed Tom’s hand, and then held it in both of his own hands.  He still didn’t answer.  He just sat there, staring at Tom.

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #2119 on: August 20, 2007, 09:15:57 pm »
Priceless

Wait until he told Ennis that a priceless antique was serenading him.   
Marie,

Hopefully Ennis will have a smart remark about already knowing that Jack was a priceless antique!   :laugh:

"no Jack, but I would rather be campin with you when its rainin cats and dogs,
than to be home, by a fire warm alone." 

Janice,

If Ennis had only said that.

Ennis didn’t reply.  He just took Tom’s hand in his, squeezed it tight, then brought it to his lips.  He tenderly kissed Tom’s hand, and then held it in both of his own hands.  He still didn’t answer.  He just sat there, staring at Tom.

Marl,

Sometimes there's better ways of saying something than words, isn't there?

Chrissie,

Ennis isn't the only one that cant afford anything from Hamley's.
Have you seen their prices lately!!!

Suziebell,

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll see If I can't help keep things from getting confusing.