Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205709 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2150 on: August 27, 2007, 03:38:25 pm »

The Distant Hills

(August 2004)
Ennis and the Artist stood at the top of the hill.  They could see everything, the hill had the highest altitude for miles around, or so it seemed.  It was a bright sunny day, but there was a cool breeze blowing.  Ennis could feel it rushing onto his warm face, as he looked towards the hills off in the distance.  Those hills were shrouded in fog, even on this clear day.  Ennis and the Artist had reached the top of the hill after a long, quiet hike, past meadows and rushing streams.  The Artist stared down to the valley below them.

“You know what I’m thinking? the Artist asked, with the intense look on his face.

Ennis glanced at him, but didn’t answer.

“What I was thinking was that, how close I am, but how far you are.”

“From what?”  Ennis asked, still looking towards the hills.

The Artist turned to Ennis, his pale eyes lost in the brightness of the sun.  He put one hand on Ennis’s shoulder, and the other hand on Ennis’s waist.

“I am so glad we finally decided to come here” the Artist said, pulling Ennis close.  His lips were warm, his hands both firm and gentle.  Ennis kept his eyes on the farthest hills, fading into the sky.  But then he closed his eyes, and felt the hands, and tasted the lips.  But then he suddenly pulled himself away.

“Far from what?  Ennis asked again, as the distant hills disappeared behind the mist.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2151 on: August 27, 2007, 04:09:40 pm »
The Distant Hills

The Artist turned to Ennis, his pale eyes lost in the brightness of the sun. 

Lovely, Marl.  This sentence struck me especially.  You've endowed the Artist with an almost mystical presence.
(Will there be more of The Neighbor?)

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2152 on: August 27, 2007, 04:12:14 pm »
Out of the Blue:
The Perfect Prescription*

He tugged on his shirt collar and wiped his brow as he headed out the door and down the stairs, but found he couldn't take another step.  He leaned over, gripping his knees for support, trying to take short breaths to relieve the dizziness and suffocation. Christ. He hated this, the way it hit him so hard and out of the blue. 

His daddy used to talk about mountain sickness, but this, whatever this was, must be the opposite.  Because there were three things he needed to cure it:  a cool breeze, a high altitude, and, most of all, Jack.   

~~~~~~~
100 Words

*Thanks to Janice (ifyoucan'tfixit)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:28:52 pm by mariez »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2153 on: August 27, 2007, 04:17:57 pm »

Very thought provoking Marl.  very much a mysterious relationship.

Poor Ennis:  Marie, Jack sickness...take two weeks and a few starry nights.  And see if thats a.
       Perfect prescription.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:45:41 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #2154 on: August 27, 2007, 04:35:13 pm »
                                               Perspicacity

" Junior," Jennie asked, "did ya ever make-believe that mama and daddy was still together?"
They lay in the small bed in Alma and Monroe's house.  Junior thought and thought for a while, and
Jennie thought she had gone to sleep.  She was so quiet and still.  Then about the time she figured she wasn't going to get a reply. 
         Junior said, quietly, so no one could hear her but Jenny.  "Well yeah I used to.  But not anymore.  Daddy was not the marryin kind Jenny.  He likes to do stuff with men and not us girls, like you and me and mama.  He is happiest going on his fishing trips.  His huntin trips and stuff with his friend Jack.  Mama don't like doin that kinda stuff.
          She can go to the church, and shopping and things with Monroe now.  She likes that kinda stuff better.  So I guess they are both better "off" now."

153wds 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:42:52 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2155 on: August 27, 2007, 08:23:01 pm »
...... Jack sickness...take two weeks and a few starry nights.  And see if thats a.
       Perfect prescription.

OMG, Janice - that's a great drabble in itself!  In fact, I like "perfect prescription" so much, I'm going to add it to my title!   ;)

Perspicacity
 . . . . . .
         Junior said, quietly, so no one could hear her but Jenny.  "Well yeah I used to.  But not anymore.  Daddy was not the marryin kind Jenny.  He likes to do stuff with men and not us girls, like you and me and mama.  He is happiest going on his fishing trips.  His huntin trips and stuff with his friend Jack.  Mama don't like doin that kinda stuff.
          She can go to the church, and shopping and things with Monroe now.  She likes that kinda stuff better.  So I guess they are both better "off" now."

A wise girl, that Junior.  And another great title, Janice. 

Marie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #2156 on: August 27, 2007, 11:36:27 pm »

hehehe sure Marie go ahead,, im flattered//

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2157 on: August 28, 2007, 12:30:05 am »
Thank you so much, Marie and Janice!!!
The prompts were perfect for the Artist to come back today, but the Neighbor will go on and on. ::)

Great drabbles today, from both of you. ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2158 on: August 28, 2007, 12:53:08 pm »
Some prompts from my day, so far:   :-\

• Murphy's Law
  • full moon
  • aggravation

Hope your day is better!  :)

Marie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2159 on: August 28, 2007, 01:45:03 pm »
My first time to hit exactly one hundred words! Enjoy!

Lazy L Farm, Quanah, TX
Date unknown

“Who was Murphy?”

“Which Murphy?” said Jack.

“You know, the Murphy of Murphy’s law, the law of aggravatin shit.”

Jack shrugged. “I have no fuckin clue, En. Mebbe he’s related to the Murphy’s bed Murphy.”

“The Murphy’s bed Murphy?”

“Yeah, y’know, those beds that fold up inta the wall. In fact,” he mused, “mebbe the Murphy’s bed Murphy invented Murphy’s law when he got folded up inta the wall because believe you me, that is some aggravatin shit!”

Ennis looked at Jack, shaking his head. “You are a piece of work, Jack fuckin Twist.”

“Don’t blame me. You started it.”

(100 words)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!