Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178066 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2007, 08:13:16 pm »
Chubby sperm?   LOL!!! I'll never again eat a Hershey's kiss without thinking of that!

Those kisses sure did inspire you, Janice - we got two great drabbles today!  Love the little chocolate bird idea - somebody call Hershey's!

One more go ..  8)

My First Valentine

February 1955

Okay, this was so sweet and outright hilarious - how do you do that? 

Thanks, all!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2007, 10:04:27 pm »
Cheers J and Marie!   ;D  Glad you enjoyed the dabble ..

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2007, 07:48:55 am »
Ennis advanced down the slope, fishing rod and creel case in hand like he was turning up to a masquerade party. He grasped them like props for all the world to see even though he and Jack were completely alone in the world.

“You’re late.” Jack smiling up at Ennis. They were in each others arms then, holding on, grinning madly into each other’s eyes, rocking together after the hard kiss of greeting. 

“You hungry? Ya wanna eat now?”

“Got no appetite just now. Not for food anyhow. Ya gonna tease me Jack?”

“I got two whole weeks ta tease you boy.”

“Yeah and I’ve had two whole months ta tease myself thinkin’ about you.”

Feeling Ennis, the bulk of the man, pressed up against his chest his breath sucking him in, sent Jack into a fevered trance. Ennis started to push him towards the tent, soft laughter fading. He sleepwalked towards it, his lover's grim passion bearing down on his neck and back, urging on his own bucking desire.

“Lie down.” Ennis’ hoarse whisper came in a gasp. Jack did as he was told. He hardly knew how to breathe.  Sometimes they went at it quickly, panting with the pain of waiting too long. Sometimes slow and deeply loving. Sometimes it was like this – brutal urgency held in check. Ennis crouched over him, drawing out the violence of the moment. It was all in their eyes as they gazed at each other. They could kill each other with the strength of what they felt just now.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 07:54:36 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2007, 08:01:06 am »
Good morning folks,

Clear and sunny after the big storm yesterday. Snow is on my mind so try these prompts on for size:

• a wintry mix: snow, sleet, and ice
  • heavy wool sweater
  • brilliant blue sky

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Beatrice

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2007, 08:07:03 am »
No snow down here, but brilliant blue sky I can do...

Blue

“Daddy, what’s your favorite color?”

“Blue.”

“Like the sky?”

“Nope.”

“Ocean blue? Like Nana Beers hair?”

“Neither.”

“Like a robin’s egg, then.”

Another no.

“Well, what other blue is there?”

“Those’re all nice blues, mind you. But, what I’m talkin’ ‘bout is special. This one can make me madder n’ hell n’ then smile just the same.”

“Ain’t no such thing!”

“You bet there is, Junior.”

“What makes it so special?”

‘Cause I want t’ see it blinkin’ sleepy in the mornin’ n’ needin’ me at night. It’s my every breath, my life. ‘Cause its Jack n’ -

“It’s mine.”

- 100 words

B
"He was the refuge of my spirit, the sweet solace of my griefs...what more is there, then can I say? Was it not a foretaste of blessedness thus to love, and thus to be loved?" St. Aelred, from his eulogy for his lover, Simon.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2007, 08:50:19 am »
..... It was all in their eyes as they gazed at each other. They could kill each other with the strength of what they felt just now.

Loved these last lines, especially, Jo - great intensity! 

No snow down here, but brilliant blue sky I can do...

Blue

.  .  .  .

“What makes it so special?”

‘Cause I want t’ see it blinkin’ sleepy in the mornin’ n’ needin’ me at night. It’s my every breath, my life. ‘Cause its Jack n’ -

“It’s mine.”

- 100 words

B

It's not just brilliant blue sky you can do, B -  it's just plain brilliant writing, too!

Great prompts, as always, Leslie!

Thanks!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2007, 11:58:17 am »

It's not just brilliant blue sky you can do, B -  it's just plain brilliant writing, too!

Great prompts, as always, Leslie!

Thanks!

Marie

I agree Marie! Thank you to all who drabble  :)

This thread is a gem!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2007, 12:04:53 pm »
Don Wroe’s Cabin
May, 1976

Ennis stacked the luncheon plates in the sink, intending to wash them later, when they had heated some hot water on the stove.

“I think I’m gonna take a nap,” said Jack. “I’m still tired.”

“Sure,” said Ennis, nodding, watching as Jack walked over to the bed. He tried not to stare as Jack stripped off his pants and shirt and climbed in between the sheets, still wearing his tee shirt and boxers. I should be there with you, he thought, still puzzled by Jack’s mood and silence.

Within minutes he heard a soft snore and knew Jack was asleep. Ennis, who rarely slept during the day, realized he was restless and antsy…he needed something to do. He rummaged in a closet and found some fishing tackle, laughing softly at the irony. Nine years a fishin’ trips and the one time I don’t bring my own gear, I actually end up fishin’.

He stepped out on the porch and noticed that a stiff breeze had picked up. He went back into the house, intending to retrieve his jacket, but stopped. Jack’s duffle was open on the floor. Ennis quietly reached in and pushed the folded clothes around, finding what he was looking for at the bottom of the bag…a heavy wool sweater, navy blue. Jack had brought this on several recent trips and Ennis always admired it…the navy wool, reflecting in the blue of Jack’s eyes, and the brilliant blue of the sky. It was a combination Ennis couldn’t resist.

He pulled the sweater over his head, smelling the familiar odor of Jack, tobacco, and a tang of mothballs. “Hope ya don’t  mind, bud,” he whispered softly, “I’m gonna borrow this for the afternoon.”

He picked up the fishing rod and headed out the door.

(299 words)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 06:07:35 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2007, 01:42:06 pm »
Yes, Fabienne - you've hit upon the perfect word - gem!

Don Wroe’s Cabin
May, 1976

.    .    . 

He pulled the sweater over his head, smelling the familiar odor of Jack, tobacco, and a tang of mothballs. “Hope ya don’t  mind, bud,” he whispered softly, “I’m gonna borrow this for the afternoon.”

(299 words)

Aww, Leslie - Great Big Sigh.  Thanks.

Marie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2007, 02:36:09 pm »
     It was a bright blue, clear sunny day, the night had been cold an
chill.  The snow of the day before lay cold, and bleak on the top of
nearby mountains.. That is what you saw, when you, looked up.
     He wore a scruffy old sweater, but it held no warmth on this
cold day.  He looked up with unseeing eyes, he was beheld by
a trio of darkest brown.  The youngest beheld, and froze with fear.

74 words
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:50:08 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind