Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1198060 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2840 on: June 02, 2008, 01:39:57 pm »
Some prompts to start the new month:   :)

• June bugs
  • trouble
  • bumpy

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline stonebiscuit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2841 on: June 03, 2008, 09:25:03 am »
Breathing

Silent air. Teased by rising slopes that surrounded his grassy island. He threw on his windbreaker, took a horse from the barn and galloped recklessly into the night; moonlight streaking the sky above him. Towards the beckoning ranges he was almost flying, the whipping wind clearing his haunted mind.
Lying down in a clearing, the sweet grass filling his nostrils. His bed may be bumpy, but sucking in the stars he was floating.
In the morning light he rose refreshed as if he’d been sleeping on silk. Trotting toward home in the smile of the sunrise, such a beautiful sight for such watery eyes.
Together they had ridden these paths. As careless as two June bugs.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2842 on: June 03, 2008, 10:21:18 am »
Quote from: stonebiscuit
Rain tears streaking the windows. Inside, the walls swallowed him. ....They drew together, wind throwing the rain against the windows.

Towards the beckoning ranges he was almost flying, the whipping wind clearing his haunted mind....

Quote from: cwby30
all Earls Richs daddys, rushing out to confront him, only to evaporate into thin air when they hit the warmth of Jack’s caring.  It left him breathless.

the hard shell which their love strained to break into and out of. 

Gorgeous drabbles, cwby and stonebiscuit. Thank you so much.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2843 on: June 03, 2008, 01:28:56 pm »
Breathing

Silent air. Teased by rising slopes that surrounded his grassy island. He threw on his windbreaker, took a horse from the barn and galloped recklessly into the night; moonlight streaking the sky above him. Towards the beckoning ranges he was almost flying, the whipping wind clearing his haunted mind.
Lying down in a clearing, the sweet grass filling his nostrils. His bed may be bumpy, but sucking in the stars he was floating.
In the morning light he rose refreshed as if he’d been sleeping on silk. Trotting toward home in the smile of the sunrise, such a beautiful sight for such watery eyes.

Your descriptions are gorgeous, stonebiscuit.  Thanks!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2844 on: June 03, 2008, 01:42:02 pm »
Double Talk

"Hmm…they say the June bugs are gonna be worse this year than last."  Ennis laid the paper down and took off his glasses, rubbing the bridge of his nose. 

Jack laughed as he turned the hot dogs on the grill.  "How do they know?"  And who's 'they' anyway?  You're just troublin trouble and you know what I always say, 'Don't trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.'"

"Yeah, yeah, I know.  Been listening to your double talk for enough years, haven't I?"

Jack put the hot dogs on a dish and grabbed a jar from the table, grinning widely as he started scooping.  "Double talk, huh?  Then I guess you know by now that I relish relish."

Ennis shook his head and groaned, suppressing a chuckle.  "Here we go," he thought.

"And I'm also bananas for bananas.  He looked up at Ennis who had burst out laughing by now, and winked.  "But I'm especially nuts for –"

Ennis's reflexes were still uncommonly quick and he had Jack in his arms before he could finish.

"It's a damn good thing I know how to stop yer yammerin," he murmured, rubbing his cheek against Jack's, "cause I sure do love to love ya."

~~~~~~~
200 Words

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2845 on: June 03, 2008, 07:56:37 pm »
Quote from: mariez
Double Talk

"Hmm…they say the June bugs are gonna be worse this year than last."  Ennis laid the paper down and took off his glasses, rubbing the bridge of his nose. 

Jack laughed as he turned the hot dogs on the grill.  "How do they know?"  And who's 'they' anyway?  You're just troublin trouble and you know what I always say, 'Don't trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.'"

"Yeah, yeah, I know.  Been listening to your double talk for enough years, haven't I?"

Jack put the hot dogs on a dish and grabbed a jar from the table, grinning widely as he started scooping.  "Double talk, huh?  Then I guess you know by now that I relish relish."

Ennis shook his head and groaned, suppressing a chuckle.  "Here we go," he thought.

"And I'm also bananas for bananas.  He looked up at Ennis who had burst out laughing by now, and winked.  "But I'm especially nuts for –"

Ennis's reflexes were still uncommonly quick and he had Jack in his arms before he could finish.

"It's a damn good thing I know how to stop yer yammerin," he murmured, rubbing his cheek against Jack's, "cause I sure do love to love ya."

~~~~~~~
200 Words

Doubly yummy double drabble.:D   Thanks, marie!
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2846 on: June 05, 2008, 01:39:56 pm »
Some really random prompts for today .....  :)

• oops
  • uh oh
  • ouch

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2847 on: June 09, 2008, 03:43:41 pm »
Interjections

As she carried the mail into the kitchen, she kept one ear tuned to the drama being played out in the girls' bedroom, an expert at measuring the level of significance by their inflections, and she was reassured when the "oops" and "uh ohs" and "ouches" remained trivial. 

The pile started to slip from her hands – oops. She hesitated when she saw there was a postcard in the midst of it - Uh Oh.  Holding it gingerly by a corner, she turned it reluctantly to read the words, but her eyes instead went directly to the dreaded signature –

"Jack."

OUCH.

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline stonebiscuit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2848 on: June 11, 2008, 04:12:50 am »
Company

Alma Jnr. messing about in the poky kitchen. Crash.
“Oops, sorry Daddy”…mopping up spilled milk. He could have sat and watched her all day.
The box of a house sealed him in, a claustrophobic coffin.
“Mr. Del Mar?”…a weedy man standing at his door.
“Ah…um, yes”, Ennis shifting dirt from his fingernails, eyes looking past the figure in his doorway out to the blustery plains, “I help you?” the words floated out and into the dusty breeze as if they’d never been spoken.
“This get itself into ma mailbox, was told you lived here so here ya are” handing over the stained envelope.
“Uh oh”, the breeze snapping the paper before Ennis could get a proper hold on it.
The weedy man took off after it down the drive.
“Who’s that Daddy?”, Alma Jnr. simultaneously peering out the window and gazing disapprovingly into her father's cobwebbed closet.
“Neighbour, I guess”.
“Ouch!”
“Sweetie?”
“Daddy this thing’s fulla splinters”.
The weedy man reappeared with the envelope. Ennis turned it over in his hands……A bill.
“Coffee Daddy?”
“You bet”.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2849 on: June 11, 2008, 01:50:39 pm »
Company
“Oops, sorry Daddy”…mopping up spilled milk. He could have sat and watched her all day.

I like this line a lot; there's so much going on within this one drabble and you've conveyed that so well.  Thanks, stonebiscuit.

Marie