Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183059 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2870 on: July 09, 2008, 02:43:52 pm »
SPRING 1989

Ennis's eyes  fixed on the pavement on Colorado I-76 ahead didn't notice as the odometer on his truck went from 49,999.9 to 50,000.0 almost simultaneously with clock on the dash turning 12:00 am. from  11:59. Light traffic in the interstate traveling east, only an occasional semi, only sounds are the hiss of tires on the pavement, distant hum of the motor and  Dwight Yoakam with  'I Sang Dixie' softly on the pickup radio.  Ennis and Jack had spent the day in Denver and had decided to take in a 9:50 showing  'Field of Dreams' at the Cherry Creek Mall.

"Out pretty late tonite ...aren't we Ennis." Jack turned to look at Ennis.

"Guess so...liked the movie...worth it..."

"OK to drive?"

"Sure"

"Not going to be to tired when we git home?" Jack squeezes Ennis's shoulder.

Ennis still looking ahead. ".....ever know me ta be to tired?....." Ennis grinning said under his breath.

"What?"

"Ya heard me..."

"Just most nights by this time yer snorin' yer head off."

"Whut!....me snore....ain't never snored!"

"Ya sure do....sound like a tornado going through the house..."

"Yer the one that snores....must be hearin' yerself....sometimes Ah think one of 'em buldozers ridin' in our room....surprised the windows don't shatter....the noise ya make."

"Ennis.... didn't say I mind....fact is...don't think I could sleep at all....if I didn't have ya there snorin' next ta me." Jack leans toward Ennis.

Ennis silent for a moment then speaks. "...Me..me neither..."

"What's that Ennis?"

"...Ya....ya heard me."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:30:57 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #2871 on: July 10, 2008, 12:40:26 pm »
Eerie words Marie.

Brings me goosebumps, and tears in my eyes  . .

Offline stonebiscuit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2872 on: July 11, 2008, 06:10:23 am »
Home

The hills rolled beneath a boy with his dry biscuits and jam. Sheep nestled into the grass around him like sugar on a hot cake. Sipping greedily from his thermos to cool his dry throat, he kicked around a few loose stones. They tumbled recklessly from his perch, scattering the stupid sheep. Sun peered intermittently through bloated clouds. The quiet.
Packing his mule to head back to camp, he found his heart racing now. Even in his drawn, lazy state his body pulsed energy from deep within. And then he rounded the corner and a fire ignited his dulled eyes. The whine of a battered harmonica talking to the still, dark air.
If music be the food of love, play on, Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,The appetite may sicken, and so die.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2873 on: July 11, 2008, 01:35:03 pm »
SPRING 1989
...fact is...don't think I could sleep at all....if I didn't have ya there sorin' next ta me." Jack leans toward Ennis.

Ennis silent for a moment then speaks. "...Me..me neither..."

"What's that Ennis?"

"...Ya....ya heard me."

I just love these little slices of sweet life!  And I liked "Field of Dreams" too.  Thanks, Mark!

Home

The hills rolled beneath a boy with his dry biscuits and jam. Sheep nestled into the grass around him like sugar on a hot cake. Sipping greedily from his thermos to cool his dry throat, he kicked around a few loose stones. They tumbled recklessly from his perch, scattering the stupid sheep. Sun peered intermittently through bloated clouds. The quiet.
Packing his mule to head back to camp, he found his heart racing now. Even in his drawn, lazy state his body pulsed energy from deep within. And then he rounded the corner and a fire ignited his dulled eyes. The whine of a battered harmonica talking to the still, dark air.
If music be the food of love, play on, Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,The appetite may sicken, and so die.

Pairing "Twelfth Night" and Brokeback  - I love it! Shakespeare is timeless.   Thank you, stonebiscuit!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2874 on: July 11, 2008, 01:37:33 pm »
Farsighted

Ennis gazed through the window at the westward sky.  "Better go, darlin, there's a storm comin' and I don't want you getting caught in it." 

Junior put her hand on his arm and peeked out.  "I don't see anything."

Ennis nodded slightly.  "It's there, I can see it."

"Okay, okay, just let me leave you some of this soup – hand me your thermos."

"Uh…." He scanned the small trailer.

Junior shook her head in mock exasperation as she turned and saw it on the counter.  "Daddy, I swear, you see things miles away, but miss what's right under your nose."

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2875 on: July 11, 2008, 01:41:09 pm »
Let's try these for today:   :)

• world record
  • breakthrough
  • messenger

Marie

Offline stonebiscuit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2876 on: July 15, 2008, 09:01:57 am »
Tracks

A bubbling tide erased the horse's prints as they made them, as if the trekkers were floating along the water's edge. The first flying horses.
Jack reached over to rest his hand on Ennis's shoulder almost falling off his horse.
"Always the clown" Ennis's mouth turning a grin that made his eyes dance.
As they were dismounting, a truck passed by in the near distance. Expecting Ennis to freeze, Jack was left gaping when his friend's lips pressed hard onto his own without notice. Laughing now, they fell onto the wet sand, their combined warmth acting against the chill breeze. Ennis ran his hand through Jack's shaggy black hair.
A small boy stood behind a rock, the bottoms of his grey shorts slightly muddied. He discarded his apple core before turning to go home and tell his Daddy about the two men on the beach.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2877 on: July 17, 2008, 10:41:02 am »
last Friday's prompt

Messengers

Train told him. Crow told him. Watch thrown into his hand, half-broken, shoved into his jacket pocket, told him. And the beat of his own heart, felt clear as day, that echoed back to him when he pulled Jack close, held him between himself and the fire.

Hands, nicked and scarred, told him. Hands that knocked his hat to the ground when a kiss was worth more than fear. Hands that bloodied him to the earth to pay for what was lost to the cold. Hands holding on like a drowning man that grasps and fights the rescuer. Hands that stroked his face, work-roughened skin turned to silk.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2878 on: July 17, 2008, 02:35:16 pm »
Tracks
.. Laughing now, they fell onto the wet sand, their combined warmth acting against the chill breeze. Ennis ran his hand through Jack's shaggy black hair...

What a lovely image.  :) 

last Friday's prompt

Messengers

Train told him. Crow told him. Watch thrown into his hand, half-broken, shoved into his jacket pocket, told him. And the beat of his own heart, felt clear as day, that echoed back to him when he pulled Jack close, held him between himself and the fire.

Hands, nicked and scarred, told him. Hands that knocked his hat to the ground when a kiss was worth more than fear. Hands that bloodied him to the earth to pay for what was lost to the cold. Hands holding on like a drowning man that grasps and fights the rescuer. Hands that stroked his face, work-roughened skin turned to silk.

Fern, I love this!  There's something so raw and direct and elemental about it, and that's so heartbreakingly apt. 

Thanks,
Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2879 on: July 17, 2008, 02:36:27 pm »
A few more prompts:

• bulletin board
  • Norman Rockwell
  • comforter

Marie