Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178247 times)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2007, 10:44:24 am »
For today, take a creative writing turn with the following:

• fire
  • high heeled shoes
  • newspaper or magazine

Leslie

Leslie, looks like we go off topic sometimes though I love everything written here on this thread. 
I know you said we are to use all  three prompts to be included in our drabble.  I'm a bit shy with my posts.  Here goes;

Jack and Ennis sit high up on the Wyoming mountain in the chilly air warmed by the fire and whiskey they share
as they talk about whats been going on in each of their lives since they last were together.

Three long months apart and finally together.   Being together feels right.  Its the only thing that feels right in their lives. Jack knows this, and so does Ennis, though Ennis would never admit to it.

Ennis sits quietly thinking about finding a better job with more time off so he can spend it with his lover, although
there's nothing much to offer in The Riverton Post Newspaper classified ads, but he will continue to look.

Jack talks to Ennis about how he hates working for old LD Newsome, but it affords him to buy is wife
the ridiculously over priced high heeled shoes she's had her eye on for sometime.

He expresses to Ennis his unhappiness in his marriage and his job.  The longing and wanting and needing to build some sweet life with Ennis pours out of his soul as they sit by the fire.  Ennis just listens saying nothing.

We could have a place of our own Jack insists, but the ever hopeful Jack gets shot down yet again by stubborn Ennis who continues to worry about the men with tire irons.

Jack, disappointed settles for the few times they are together each year as he takes another swing off the bottle before handing it to Ennis.  Its gonna be a cold night, but they will keep each other warm.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 10:56:18 am »
Leslie:

I have a question regarding the prompts: must/should we include all three prompts? Or is it ok to choose just one (like I did with "fire" today) or two?

This was really a great idea Leslie  :-*. I also love all the creativity that's floating around here and I've enjoyed all the stories.

brokeback_dev, Fabienne and June:

Thanks for your feedback to my story (the one with the dog).

No, you can use only one prompt. And you don't necessarily have to use the exact word. For example, say you took "high heeled shoes" and called them "stilettos" or "suede pumps"...that would be fine. I am actually ruminating on cowboy boots which are a form of high heeled shoes, in my view.

The prompts are mostly to spark your creativity and to see how different people "spark" to the different prompts.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2007, 10:59:02 am »
Leslie, looks like we go off topic sometimes though I love everything written here on this thread. 
I know you said we are to use all  three prompts to be included in our drabble.  I'm a bit shy with my posts.  Here goes;

Jack and Ennis sit high up on the Wyoming mountain in the chilly air warmed by the fire and whiskey they share
as they talk about whats been going on in each of their lives since they last were together.

Three long months apart and finally together.   Being together feels right.  Its the only thing that feels right in their lives. Jack knows this, and so does Ennis, though Ennis would never admit to it.

Ennis sits quietly thinking about finding a better job with more time off so he can spend it with his lover, although
there's nothing much to offer in The Riverton Post Newspaper classified ads, but he will continue to look.

Jack talks to Ennis about how he hates working for old LD Newsome, but it affords him to buy is wife
the ridiculously over priced high heeled shoes she's had her eye on for sometime.

He expresses to Ennis his unhappiness in his marriage and his job.  The longing and wanting and needing to build some sweet life with Ennis pours out of his soul as they sit by the fire.  Ennis just listens saying nothing.

We could have a place of our own Jack insists, but the ever hopeful Jack gets shot down yet again by stubborn Ennis who continues to worry about the men with tire irons.

Jack, disappointed settles for the few times they are together each year as he takes another swing off the bottle before handing it to Ennis.  Its gonna be a cold night, but they will keep each other warm.

Dev,

Thanks for joining in! This is great. Just to clarify, you don't have to use all three prompts (or even the exact words, see my post to Chrissi) but I have to say, I think you did a great job working them into this drabble. Nice work!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Scott6373

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2007, 11:08:16 am »
Jack swallowed down the last of the whiskey in his glass.  He was drunk.  He was mad.  He was feeling the need for Ennis inside of him.  Damn, he thought.  If he had known sooner that Lureen was going away for the weekend with Bobby, he could have tried to get together with Ennis.  Not enough time; never enough.

He stood, and swayed in place a little, the whiskey doing it’s best to send him down.  He maneuvered his way, barefooted and shirtless into the bedroom.  Lureen had left in such a hurry, that the clothes she wore to work lay on the floor at the foot of the bed.  He sat, bent over and picked up the blouse, rubbing it against his bare chest.  Sure felt better than denim he thought.  He regarded Lureen’s shoe lying by his foot:  Pointed toe, high heel pumps.  How could she wear those he though.  He let his toe catch the shoe.  He slipped his man’s foot inside the tiny shoe.  He turned his foot back and forth in admiration of the look he achieved.

“Jesus Christ…I’m really queer.” 

186 words
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:33:07 am by Scott6373 »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2007, 11:19:37 am »
No, you can use only one prompt. And you don't necessarily have to use the exact word. For example, say you took "high heeled shoes" and called them "stilettos" or "suede pumps"...that would be fine. I am actually ruminating on cowboy boots which are a form of high heeled shoes, in my view.

The prompts are mostly to spark your creativity and to see how different people "spark" to the different prompts.

Leslie

Thanks Leslie.

Jack swallowed .....

Loved this one  :laugh:

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2007, 11:39:28 am »
Dev,

Thanks for joining in! This is great. Just to clarify, you don't have to use all three prompts (or even the exact words, see my post to Chrissi) but I have to say, I think you did a great job working them into this drabble. Nice work!

Leslie

Thanks for the coax Leslie.   And thanks for the clarification...

Jack swallowed down the last of the whiskey in his glass.  He was drunk.  He was mad.  He was feeling the need for Ennis inside of him.  Damn, he thought.  If he had known sooner that Lureen was going away for the weekend with Bobby, he could have tried to get together with Ennis.  Not enough time; never enough.

He stood, and swayed in place a little, the whiskey doing it’s best to send him down.  He maneuvered his way, barefooted and shirtless into the bedroom.  Lureen had left in such a hurry, that the clothes she wore to work lay on the floor at the foot of the bed.  He sat, bent over and picked up the blouse, rubbing it against his bare chest.  Sure felt better than denim he thought.  He regarded Lureen’s shoe lying by his foot:  Pointed toe, high heel pumps.  How could she wear those he though.  He let his toe catch the shoe.  He slipped his man’s foot inside the tiny shoe.  He turned his foot back and forth in admiration of the look he achieved.

186 words

LOL you're too funny Scott !

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2007, 12:11:58 pm »
Cant' tell you how much I am loving this thread!  Now I know why I don't write fiction - I am humbled and amazed at the imagination and creativity of these drabbles!

Breakfast would be starting a little late today.

As always, love your writing style, B!  You can really pack a punch in 100 words!

"No fire" - 
Aguirre said and now he freezes his ass off on the mountain.
Fire  -
warm and cozy, with Ennis sitting across him, drinking, sharing his sad story
Fire  -
dies down, brings Ennis to him
Fire -
of passion, Ennis's and his
Camp fires -
countless
Fire -
BBQ with Lureen, the fire not half as warm as on a cold mountain
Fire -
adding fuel to the fire of short leashes and coffepot travels
Fire -
in a crematory, finally consuming him whole

Word count 79

Really loved the way you used the prompt! Very effective - and, wow, I gasped at the end! 

Please don't be shy - that was wonderful - loved this last paragraph!

186 words

ROFLMAO!!!   :laugh: - and I really needed that!

Thanks again, everyone!  Keep 'em coming! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2007, 12:46:46 pm »
I am really enjoying this thread  :) Thanks once again Penthesilea, Beatrice, Dev and Scott for all the wonderful new drabbles  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2007, 01:47:14 pm »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Sometimes late in the evening, usually after Jack had gone to bed, Ennis would pull out some of Hal’s old “physique” magazines. He didn’t find the pictures particularly erotic but it gave him a connection to Hal, thinking of him, sitting in this same living room, looking at the same images that Hal had, many years before.

Ennis pulled one off the shelf, noticing the date was October, 1960. It had a drawing by Tom of Finland on the cover. He had come to recognize Tom’s style…handsome men with stylized hair, broad shoulders, molded asses. “I suppose it’s sorta sexy,” Ennis thought, but really wasn’t convinced.

He turned the page to a picture of a man straddling a motorcycle and saw a piece of paper, tightly folded and tucked in the crease. Puzzled, Ennis pulled it out. It was a letter, written in pencil.

October 17, 1963

Dear Hal,

I’m leaving today. We said our goodbyes last night and I guess that means I won’t be seeing you again, won’t be back next summer. I don’t suppose we’ll talk on the phone, gotta make it a clean break.

But I wanted to tell you something, and I am putting it here because I know you like this picture. Hopefully you’ll see this. It might not be for a few weeks or months but that doesn’t matter. I guess I have all the time in the world now.

I love you, Hal. I’ll always love you, I know that. Til the day I die. I am breaking my own heart because I can’t find the courage to live with you. I’m sorry Hal. You’re a better man than me. You deserve better than me. Maybe you’ll find him.

My heart is yours,

Pete

Ennis refolded the paper and put it back in the magazine. “I ain’t lookin’ at this one again,” he thought, as he headed upstairs to his sleeping lover.

(324 words)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:13:35 am by MaineWriter »

Scott6373

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2007, 01:54:57 pm »
Damn you Leslie...damn you damn you damn you.  Where the hell are the kleenex?   :'(