Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178172 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #530 on: March 05, 2007, 10:34:17 am »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Thanksgiving, 1976

Ennis turned the can over in his hand, then smiled at Jack. “You really do take good care a me.”

“I’m tryin’.”

(195 words)

Ow, Jack you're more than trying! Can you follow up on that dinner Leslie?  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #531 on: March 05, 2007, 10:37:11 am »
   The dog days of summer seemed to be stretching on and on this year.  Eight fifteen in the morning, standing at the checkout in the grocery, and already it was up over 90. 

"Those cabbages ain't worth buyin', Jack."  He ran a tentative finger across his lips...

"They's brussells sprouts!  ...  ...  But you knew that, didn't ya?"

"Sorta...  "

Jack just shook his head.  "Sometimes, Ennis, sometimes."

LOL! I agree Ennis, Brussels sprouts in the summer? Never!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #532 on: March 05, 2007, 10:54:22 am »
He stayed in the small darkened space between the buildings for a long while, but no other passed by.  After the pain and wrenching subsided, he raised is head, the flop sweat soaking the collar of his shirt.  Reluctant to leave the cool, safe refuge he had found, he raised his whole body upright, yet couldn’t quite seem to straighten out the slump in his posture that had begun the day he and Jack were told that their summer was over.  Regardless, he had a long way to go and a short amount of time to get there before the heat of these August days was such that continued progress would be foolish.

Somewhere near the noon hour, he paused in his progress to survey his view.  There was nothing of value left in his vision, a situation that mirrored the state of his soul.  He had gone too far. The high heat was upon him, and there was nowhere to hide from it.

I always thought about the wind and snow as resembling the unforgiving Wyoming climate, crushing down on Ennis. I really liked how you describe the heat doing just that. 'the heat was upon him and there was nowhere to hide' ...

Beautifully done Scott, once again.  :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #533 on: March 05, 2007, 11:45:37 am »
.  .  . I never really understood the sayin, dog days of summer like this afore.  But for me it will always mean the helpin from these beautiful, and hard working animals.  They are keen of eye, and quick of foot..A beautiful thing to see as they go about their daily chores...Fine animals for sure..

How perfectly Ennis, Janice.  He does love his horses.

Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Thanksgiving, 1976
.   .  .
Ennis turned the can over in his hand, then smiled at Jack. “You really do take good care a me.”

“I’m tryin’.”

I've had my visit to the Lazy L - my headache is gone and all is right with the world.   :)  (And, yes, I was waiting for brussel sprouts  :laugh:)

. .  . There was nothing of value left in his vision, a situation that mirrored the state of his soul.  He had gone too far.  .   .   .

Where is the emoticon that denotes "shaking head in wonder and awe"?  I'd use it for everything you write, Scott. (And I loved the dog's name  :))

The dog days of summer seemed to be stretching on and on this year.  Eight fifteen in the morning, standing at the checkout in the grocery, and already it was up over 90. 

"Those cabbages ain't worth buyin', Jack."  He ran a tentative finger across his lips...

"They's brussells sprouts!  ...  ...  But you knew that, didn't ya?"

"Sorta...  "

Jack just shook his head.  "Sometimes, Ennis, sometimes."

Short, sweet, and very funny!   :laugh:

You guys are the best,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #534 on: March 05, 2007, 01:58:20 pm »
Morning all!  :)

Sweet lips ..

Jack held onto Ennis’ hand for support.  He could feel the weight of the man on top of him, and Ennis’ left hand clutching the back of his shirt for dear life.  The peaceful silence of the moonlit night was interrupted by the sound of heavy breathing coming from the tent and the thumps of Jack’s fist slamming the cold ground.  He felt so close to the edge, his vision grew blurry.  He finally let go when he heard Ennis’ loud moan and felt him spill his seed deep inside him; his knees gave way.

He heard the thud of Ennis’ belt buckle hitting the ground as he landed on the bedroll beside him.  They were both out of breath.  Ennis lay on his back, his eyes closed, his chest rising and falling with heavy intakes of breath.  Jack pulled up his pants and located his coat lying in a corner of the tent.  He lay down facing Ennis, propping himself up on an elbow.  He managed a little smile when he noticed that Ennis had fallen asleep with his jeans still around his thighs.

Jack was grateful for the steady stream of moonlight pouring in through the flap of the tent.  He studied Ennis’ face – the soft blond curls, the sleeping eyes, and the curve of his slightly-parted lips as he snored softly.  At that moment, he knew nothing would ever be the same again.  He lowered his head cautiously and placed a light kiss on Ennis’ lips, the sleeping man did not stir.  He brought his head down to the bedroll, quietly whispering to himself, “G’night, sweet lips..”

(~ 271 words)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 02:22:59 pm by Lucise »

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #535 on: March 05, 2007, 02:58:14 pm »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Thanksgiving, 1976

“Ya know, Jack, there are only two of us.”

“Yeah, so?”

“Well, that looks like a helluva big turkey for two people.”

“Just fourteen pounds. We’ll have lots for leftovers.”

Ennis looked dubious. “If you say so. What’s this?” he asked, holding up a small green vegetable.

“Brussels sprouts. My mama always made em for Thanksgivin’.”

“Never heard of em. It looks like a lil cabbage.”

Jack laughed. “Yeah, it does. What did yer family have for Thanksgivin’ dinner?”

Ennis thought for a minute. “Well, turkey and stuffin’, a course, with gravy and cranberry sauce. And creamed onions and green beans. No brussels sprouts though.”

“How did yer mama make the green beans?”

“In a casserole, with mushroom soup and those lil crunchy onion bits. Alma made em the same way.”

“I had a feelin’,” said Jack, as he opened the cabinet. He pulled out a can of Durkee’s French Fried Onion Rings and handed it to Ennis. “I’m makin’ em that way for you, too.”

“I’m tryin’.”

(195 words)

aaawww, I just love how your boys take care of each other.   :D

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #536 on: March 05, 2007, 03:02:36 pm »

aaawww, I just love how your boys take care of each other.   :D

C*

Oh, C*, you're another wonderful cheerleader, just like Marie. Maybe she'll lend you her pom poms?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #537 on: March 05, 2007, 03:09:13 pm »
Oh, C*, you're another wonderful cheerleader, just like Marie. Maybe she'll lend you her pom poms?

L

lol   I've seen  a smiley with pom poms over on another site. 
I wonder if it will work here.    hhhhmmm              &**)

Edited to add:   Nope, it didn't work.    lol
Guess I have to borrow Marie's.    hehehe     ;)

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #538 on: March 05, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »
Edited to add:   Nope, it didn't work.    lol
Guess I have to borrow Marie's.    hehehe     ;)

In any case .. Cheers ladies!  ;D

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #539 on: March 05, 2007, 03:19:25 pm »
In any case .. Cheers ladies!  ;D

LOL     PERFECT!!!      :D
Thank you, Lu.   :)

C*