Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178305 times)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #600 on: March 07, 2007, 07:44:40 pm »
These drabbles are wonderful...All of them! 

Thanks lesile, lusice, janice, marlb, marie and everyone else for bringing these wonderful tidbits of joy to my otherwise boring life.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2007, 02:57:37 am »
Can I second what dev said? I know i don't comment on everyone's drabble, but i read them and thoroughly enjoy them all!

Jack and Ennis lay on the bedroll,  sweating profusely, from the aftermath of their, heated and boisterous sex.  Jack smiled up into the inkydarkness, and thought of  the many
times they had been this way.  How often over the years they had lain together, and in how many
different places.  Don't you ever wonder, he pondered, how, we seem to find just the right
way, just the right position, to twist our legs around each other. 
     "Well," Ennis replies," what , ya think we're sposed to do with em.?"
     "I can't say, but it seem like it would take more planning,,we just seem to do it.  "Heh,
"Jack, you are plum crazy.  You know that, don't ya?  Who else could fuck, the livin daylights
outa somebody, and be thinkin about their legs?"  "Jack chuckles, and rolls over onto his side
looking into his lover eyes."  "Well, I guess I should be just thinking about the stars and shooting stars then."  "Well cowboy, I definately got my work done then.  That last time, you pushed my spleen out the other end."  "I saw plenty a stars that time.."
And Janice! First you don't want to drabble for fear of not measuring up and then you come up with this??

::)  ::) How am I going to get any work done today?

but thank you anyway  ;)

Keep drabbling everyone!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #602 on: March 08, 2007, 07:34:30 am »
Morning friends,

Give these a go...

• negligee
  • pink
  • promises

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #603 on: March 08, 2007, 08:07:36 am »
     Alma Del Mar, sits on the couch, holding her small daughter.  The other one yet asleep.  She
tries to think over the events, of the past 14 hours of her life.  Her mind a whirl of unrelenting,
puzzles.  What has happened?  She wonders.  What is happening now?  What is it, that I
saw between my husband, and his friend? She knows, what it is, she thinks she saw.  She
knows, what it appeared to be.  She feels, like all the promises they made on the day they
married, were blown to the wind.  Like chafe after harvest.  She saw her husband hold a man.
She saw her husband kiss a man.  "He never, kissed me like that. She knows."  That is the one
thing she is sure of.  If she never understands, the rest of what she saw, she knows that much,
for certain.  She wonders, while the hot tears of silence, pour from her eyes.  If it will only last
a few days, as he said?  "Are they only going to do a little fishin?"  "Did they only get to talking,
and lost track of the time?"  "Oh God. she shrieks in unspoken words."  "What, am I gonna do?"
"What, am I going to do?"  "I have two babies, and no education, What will I do now?"
"Ennis, please come on back, I'll never say nothin, I'll just pretend I never saw nothin."
"I swear."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:29:14 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #604 on: March 08, 2007, 08:20:20 am »
Something previously written, from ALBFS

Hal shook his head, the movement barely noticeable. “No,” he whispered, “but Ennis, do somethin’ for me?”

“Sure, Hal,” said Ennis, “what do you want?”

“Kiss me…” he whispered.

Ennis looked at Hal, slightly surprised at the request, but figured it was easy enough to do. He rose up slightly from the chair and leaned over the bed, kissing Hal lightly on the forehead. He went to sit back down and Hal opened his eyes again. “On the lips…” he said, his voice barely audible.

Ennis hesitated for a second at this request. He had never kissed a man other than Jack before. But as he looked at Hal’s blue eyes he realized that he wanted to kiss this man. He held Hal’s face between his hands and leaned in, pressing his lips against the older man’s, feeling them soft beneath his own, lingering for a minute. He pulled back but kept his face close, looking deep into Hal’s eyes. “Yer a good man, Ennis,” whispered Hal. “I know why Jack loves you.” His eyes closed and his head seemed to sink back into the pillow, as if the talking and kiss had completely exhausted him.

Ennis sat down and picked up Hal’s hand again. He looked at his face then looked out the window. The storm seemed to be ending, leaving as quickly as it came. He watched, seeing the rain move across the field, heading east.

He pushed the window open again and the wind blew in, smelling of rain, and grass, and late summer thunderstorms. The sun broke through the clouds and there was a brilliant patch of blue sky and in the patch, a rainbow formed, arcing over the barn and across the sky, the end disappearing in the trees by the river.

Hal gave a shuddering breath and then Ennis felt a spark of electricity travel through his body. His head turned, almost involuntarily, and he looked at the rainbow. “Goodbye, Hal,” he said, then turned back to the Hal, realizing instantly that his life was no longer in his body. “Oh my God,” he thought, “Hal died and he left through me.” He put his hand over his mouth and tears started to run from his eyes and spill down his cheeks. He looked at the rainbow again. “Goodbye, Hal,” he whispered a second time.

Ennis sat there for many long minutes, still holding Hal’s hand and letting the tears run freely down his face, not trying to stop them, not wiping them away. Finally, the rainbow faded and the sun came out more fully, casting a pinkish-yellow light across the barn and the field. Ennis laid Hal’s hand down, and straightened the sheet across his chest. He stood up and pulled a handkerchief from his pocket, wiping his eyes and blowing his nose, then went out of the room and headed downstairs to find Jack.

(482 words)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 11:08:13 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #605 on: March 08, 2007, 08:28:25 am »
These drabbles are wonderful...All of them! 
.  .  .
Yes, aren't they, dev?  But don't thank me, I'm just the cheerleader!   :laugh:

::)  ::) How am I going to get any work done today?

but thank you anyway  ;)

Keep drabbling everyone!  :)

HEY, FABIENNE! Heads up - I'm throwing you one of my pom poms!  Catch!  :)  I know what you mean about the work.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Beatrice

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #606 on: March 08, 2007, 08:34:51 am »
Promises the prompt...

Tears

Not right, him just lyin’ there, listenin’ t’ those muffled sobs fillin’ their fancy tent. But, he had no way a fixin’ things, no way t’ give comfort, had nothin’ t’ help ease all that pain n’ hurt.

‘Cause he couldn’t do it, he couldn’t whisper in the dark those words, makin’ promises, givin’ him hope. ‘Cause in this world, no matter how right, they had no chance in hell a ever comin’ true.

So, Ennis did what he could do. Just held on, crushed up close, heart collectin’ Jack’s tears, knowin’ that each one that fell carried his name.

B
"He was the refuge of my spirit, the sweet solace of my griefs...what more is there, then can I say? Was it not a foretaste of blessedness thus to love, and thus to be loved?" St. Aelred, from his eulogy for his lover, Simon.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #607 on: March 08, 2007, 08:42:12 am »
.  .  .  She feels, like all the promises they made on the day they
married, were blown to the wind.  Like chafe after harvest.  .  . .
.  .  .
"Ennis, please come on back, I'll never say nothin, I'll just pretend I never saw nothin."
"I swear."

Janice, you're a wonder.  Yesterday you made me laugh out loud, and today . . .
I mentioned to Marleen the other day that there are so many layers to the Brokeback story and so much sadness left in the wake of society's ignorance and hate . . .  sigh.

.  .  .
Ennis sat there for many long minutes, still holding Hal’s hand and letting the tears run freely down his face, not trying to stop them, not wiping them away. Finally, the rainbow faded and the sun came out more fully, casting a pinkish-yellow light across the barn and the field. Ennis laid Hal’s hand down, and straightened the sheet across his chest. He stood up and pulled a handkerchief from his pocket, wiping his eyes and blowing his nose, then went out of the room and headed downstairs to find Jack.

Damnitall, Leslie. You know what Hal does to me.  One of my all-time favorite scenes - not just in ALBFS - but any story.  :-*

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #608 on: March 08, 2007, 08:45:08 am »

HEY, FABIENNE! Heads up - I'm throwing you one of my pom poms!  Catch!  :)  I know what you mean about the work.

Marie

Got it! Thanks. I'll ask my daughters to work out a routine for me. They're much better at that sort of thing...  ;)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #609 on: March 08, 2007, 08:51:54 am »

...“Goodbye, Hal,” he whispered a second time.

I remember this scene vey well. I loved the relationship Ennis and Hal developped.

Tears

Not right, him just lyin’ there, listenin’ t’ those muffled sobs fillin’ their fancy tent. But, he had no way a fixin’ things, no way t’ give comfort, had nothin’ t’ help ease all that pain n’ hurt.

‘Cause he couldn’t do it, he couldn’t whisper in the dark those words, makin’ promises, givin’ him hope. ‘Cause in this world, no matter how right, they had no chance in hell a ever comin’ true.

So, Ennis did what he could do. Just held on, crushed up close, heart collectin’ Jack’s tears, knowin’ that each one that fell carried his name.

Beatrice, you totally slayed me with this one  :'(