Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178073 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #680 on: March 11, 2007, 06:52:13 pm »
I like the divers best too!  ;D

Everybody likes the divers....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #681 on: March 11, 2007, 06:57:59 pm »
My..
Alexandre Despatie was just the one I had in mind!  8)  Cheers Leslie!
Plus, he is one of ours .. Canadian!!  ;D

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #682 on: March 11, 2007, 07:33:09 pm »
Great drabbles today, Leslie and M ;D

I remember those Olympics too. I was between things that summer, back and forth in two different cities, but I kept watching the Olympics.  I also cannot believe it was so long ago.
Yes and I love the divers too. :D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #683 on: March 11, 2007, 07:34:42 pm »

Just a bit of trivia...on August 5th, 1984, while the marathon was going on, my husband and I were attending the Maine Festival which that year happened to be on the Bowdoin College campus, Joan's alma mater. As the race was progressing, the excitement throughout the crowd was building, and TVs even started appearing. It was a very cool place to be and totally coincidental. Until that day, I am not even sure I had ever heard of Joan Benoit!

Leslie

Thanks for sharing that - what a nice memory!  I'm sure most people hadn't heard of her before that day, I know I hadn't - but that sure changed quickly!  As for Monsieur Despatie, "My . . ."  is right, Milli - My. . .  to the nth degree.   ;D

Thanks, Leslie
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #684 on: March 11, 2007, 10:29:43 pm »
Hey Barbara .. what sort of icons are you looking for?  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #685 on: March 12, 2007, 04:11:53 am »
Hiya!

Barbara - I am not sure if you were looking for banners, but seeing as we don't have any on the LJ at the moment ..
Here are 2 potentials ..

Along the lines of something you could use?  :)

~M

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #686 on: March 12, 2007, 06:24:43 am »
Hi everyone,

For today:

• genie
  • baby carriage or stroller
  • razor

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #687 on: March 12, 2007, 07:20:09 am »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
August 31, 1976

Ennis leaned against the wall of the bathroom, watching Jack as he rubbed shaving cream across his face, then picked up his razor. “I like watchin’ ya shave,” he commented.

“Ya do?”

Ennis nodded.

“What, ya think it’s sexy or somethin’?”

Ennis shrugged. “Mebbe sexy, I dunno, mebbe just a guy thing.”

Jack smiled at him as he continued to scrape the razor across his cheek. “A guy thing, huh?” he said, with a small wink. “Yer gay, En, y’know that.”

“Yeah, I know,” replied Ennis, looking down at his feet.

“Ever get a shave from a barber?”

Ennis shook his head no. “Ain’t got the money for that kind a stuff,” he said. “Besides, I ain’t sure I’d like some guy rubbin’ his hands all over my face.”

“Ya like me rubbin’ my hands on your face…”

“Yer diff’rent.”

“True.” Jack finished his shave, washing the remnants of cream off his face and rinsing his razor in the running water. “Who cut yer hair?”

Ennis looked puzzled. “What d’ya mean?”

“I mean, did ya go ta the barber for that?”

“Oh, no. My mama cut my hair, then my sister, then Alma.”

“But ya ain’t been with Alma for a while. Who’s been cuttin’ it now?”

“I tried ta do it myself,” said Ennis, his voice soft.

Jack stepped close to his lover and ran his fingers through his hair. “I could probably cut yer hair,” he said. “Not too hard ta learn ta do…”

Ennis didn’t say anything, just felt Jack’s touch and gentle caress at the base of his skull.

“Ain’t cuttin’ off the curls, though,” he said, leaning in for a kiss.

(284 words)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #688 on: March 12, 2007, 12:00:31 pm »
Wow - Gorgeous banners, M !!!!

Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
August 31, 1976

Ennis leaned against the wall of the bathroom, watching Jack as he rubbed shaving cream across his face, then picked up his razor. “I like watchin’ ya shave,” he commented.
.  .  .

Ennis didn’t say anything, just felt Jack’s touch and gentle caress at the base of his skull.

“Ain’t cuttin’ off the curls, though,” he said, leaning in for a kiss.

Man-oh-man, L, shaving and hair caressing in one drabble!  Ahhh.... :)

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #689 on: March 12, 2007, 12:34:47 pm »
     A late Dec. day dawns on Riverton Wyoming.  Alma, Martin, wakes as usual at the early
hour, of 5:30 am.  She thinks of the day she has before her.  Her sleeping husband lies on the
bed next to her.  The fetus in her stomach, is beginning to stir.  It seems to need to have nourishment as well.  The precurser I guess to the early morning feedings when it finally does arrive.  She is nearly ready.  She had gotten rid of most of the girls baby things.  None of them
would be very nice, for the newborn though.  They were a lot of hand me downs from her sister, and other friends and family.  The only, new things she had gotten for the two girls, was
the knitted baby blankets, she had made for her tiny babies before they were born. 
     She had never had the money to buy a lot of beautiful, extras before.  This time was
gonna be different.  As if by some magic genies ability.  She now has a beautiful new bed, with all the fancy bedding and bumpers.  Its a lovely shade of green. That way it is ok for boy or girl.   Monroe had insisted that
his boy, was gonna have the best.  He always insisted.   "It was going to be a boy".. But then
don't most men do that?  She too seemed to feel it would be a boy, however.  She now has
new store bought blankets. sheets, and four dozen diapers.  She has gowns, and pajamas of
all colors, and little white t-shirts, that tie on the side.  She feels she has an abundance of
beautiful and lovely things.  The one thing, she has always dreamed of having though, was a
beautiful carriage.  One like you see all those fancy children with nannies, walking them thru a
park, have.  The fine hood, to protect the little treasure, and keep it dry in case of a sudden
spurt of rain or a bit of snow.  Those babies always seem to have been entirely protected.  No
harm, could ever, come to them.  That is what she would have, this time.  Monroe has said.
His son, will have the best, of everything.  They have to go all the way, to Laramie, to get it.  There is no place local that even sells them.  Yessir, she is in a different world, this time.  No
more hand me downs, or make dos for her, or for her babies neither.  Its time to get the
food ready, they will be leaving, right after breakfast.
     Ennis Del Mar, is on the other side of town, he is looking in the mirror, scrapes his hand across his morning stubble.  He wonders, acceptingly how many more shaves he can get
out of this razor before, he has to use a new one.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 04:16:56 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind