Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178083 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #720 on: March 14, 2007, 09:30:08 pm »
One of the best drabbles I ever read. Everything perfect within this short piece: Ennis' thoughts about god, the fact that he didn't want to dream about Jack right then because it has been so hard the last days. Tom's unintrusive ways.  Oh my.

It's a hopeful one, but at the same time so, so sad, it has me in tears nonetheless.

Thank you Marlen.

I almost don't even know what to say, Chrissi, your kind words mean so much to me.

And of course yours always do,  Marie.

I guess all I can say is thank you so very much :)

:-*

Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #721 on: March 14, 2007, 10:02:21 pm »
He didn't have a reply, and he didn't make one.  He just watched Bobby walk away toward the pins, where the mounting was done.  He suddenly felt his legs feel like they could not,
further hold him.  He had a sudden surge of anger, like he had never had.  In his, entire lifetime.  He paused, then.    "I'm gonna kill that sumbitch.  That mother fucking, ignorant, sumbitch.  He has
gone too damn far.  This time.  Im gonna kill him."

I understand the feeling ..  :-\

Cheers J.  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #722 on: March 14, 2007, 10:12:14 pm »
Mark, Chrissi and Marl ~

Thank you for those awesome drabbles   ..  :-*

~M

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #723 on: March 15, 2007, 12:51:19 am »
Greetings.   :)

My day has been busy as heck, but I managed to find time after work for a dabble..
Here goes.

In the face of God ..

Monday, November 7th 1983

He sat quietly on the third pew from the church door.  He was alone except for two older gentlemen sitting on the last bench at the back.  It seemed like such a long time had passed since he’d been to the Methodist church, he wasn't sure why he'd come today.  He felt weak, his back was sore and his eyes were puffy from all the crying he’d done that morning.  He felt pathetic and feeble but he tried his utmost to keep a plain look on his face.  He stared straight ahead at the pulpit; his eyes falling upon the open book on the wooden stand.

‘So you punished him for being queer, did ya?  Boys like me and him end up in hell, don’t we?’  His tears clouded his vision but he would not let them fall. 

‘Could’ve been me an’ him .. Pine Creek .. on this very day.  He made me happy, we was happy together … what the fuck is so wrong with that, hunh?   ‘Cuz we’re queer, is it?’

‘Two guys livin’ together, no way – your own words, the chastising voice in his head shot back.  ‘If ya can’t fix it, ya gotta stand it - your own words again! it persisted.

He shook his head as if to dislodge the voice that haunted his days and fueled his nightmares after dark.  He took in a deep breath and swallowed with difficulty.  He chided himself for being so weak but he could not stop the tears that now rolled down his cheeks.  He wiped them off quickly and picked up his hat from the seat next to him.

As he walked out of the church, he glanced over at the two gray-haired men on the last bench.  They were sat close together and he noticed that they held onto each other, their intertwined fingers resting on a tired knee.  He walked past them quietly, nodding at the minister standing at the door.

He lit a cigarette and sat beside his trailer window.  He looked out at the fields in the distance, lost in a reverie .. His mind roamed back to the days of his childhood and to the sight of Earl lying amongst the dead leaves, abandoned like roadkill.  He shuddered at the crystal-clear image conjured in his mind’s eye ..  His thoughts drifted to the two old men he’d seen at the church, holding hands unashamedly, right there in church .. in the very face of God, if he indeed existed.  He wondered if his life might’ve turned out differently if he’d first witnessed at that tender age what he’d seen today. Before long, it was spring time; the old faces in his dream were replaced by younger ones and the pair holding hands was his Jack and himself, together again ..  He cried, and for the first time in many long days, he smiled ..

That was one of the most beautiful things ive read in all the bbm fanfic.  I thought i was passed the tears like that one brought...
just very special.                                                  janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #724 on: March 15, 2007, 02:38:05 am »
    That was one of the most beautiful things ive read in all the bbm fanfic.  I thought i was passed the tears like that one brought...

:-*
Thank you Janice.  :)

~M

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #725 on: March 15, 2007, 11:58:39 am »
Morning everyone.

Nobody appointed me to do this, but since Leslie is off enjoying her vac with Fabienne ..
I thought I'd jump in an offer some prompts for today.  :)

* business
    * enthusiastic
    * a silver lining

Please do drabble away!    ;)
Cheers!

~M

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #726 on: March 15, 2007, 12:09:45 pm »
Morning everyone.

Nobody appointed me to do this, but since Leslie is off enjoying her vac with Fabienne ..
I thought I'd jump in an offer some prompts for today.  :)

* business
    * enthusiastic
    * a silver lining

Please do drabble away!    ;)
Cheers!

~M

LOL!!!  I was just gonna do the same thing -  but your prompts are much better, Milli! 

.  .  .
     Jack asked immediately.  "What in heck is wrong boy?  You getting too big for your daddy to hug you no more.?"  Bobby said " daddy that ain't it."  "What then, what is it?"  "Well I figured people would think I was queer.  Grampa said, you was queer. So if I hugged you, people would think I was queer too."   Jack just froze dumbfounded where he  stood.
.   .   .   

GRRRR .... >:(  That made me so angry, Janice - but I was also so touched. 

Milli, I echo Janice's words - you keep outdoing yourself.  I can't describe how touching and beautiful that was.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #727 on: March 15, 2007, 01:57:34 pm »
My contribution:  :)

Mirror on the wall ..

October 1983

She switched on the lights in the bedroom and walked in, closing the door behind herself.  She stripped off her clothes and slipped into the bathrobe she found hanging on the bedpost.  She sat down at the dressing table and looked at her reflection in the mirror – she felt tired and old and unattractive just then.  She looked at the bags starting to form underneath her eyes and the dark roots that betrayed the blonde perfection she wished her hair to be.  She made a mental note to make an appointment with the hairdresser.  She slowly opened the robe at the front, further scrutinizing the reflection before her – her skin was smooth, and her breasts almost as firm as they’d been when she’d met him more than fifteen years before. 

“We were herding sheep up on Brokeback one summer, back in ‘63”, the man had said to her on the phone.  She sighed heavily and looked at the photograph resting on the vanity.  She picked it up and wiped the dust particles on the glass frame, a sad smile on her lips. ‘So handsome  ...’ she whispered to herself; the smiling blue eyes in the photograph stared back at her.

‘So all these years, you wanted him?’ .. she spoke quietly, moving a finger over the face in the picture ..  ‘All the time I was buried under work, the family business.. All that time, you wanted him?  All that talk about Brokeback and all those trips.. All that time, it was him..?’  She shook her head, her lips quivering ..

She startled when a knock came on the bedroom door.   “Yes?” she answered, drying the tears with the back of her hand.

“Ma, you okay?  I thought I heard crying..” Bobby said in a low voice, walking towards her.

She smiled wanly, “Thank you sweetheart.  I’m fine..”

“I miss him too Ma,” he said taking her hand.  “He won’t be there when I graduate from high school or when I get married or none of that.  I know ..  Sometimes he looked so unhappy, but I know he loved ya.”  Two lone tears fell on the robe as she lowered her head.

“I’ll be ya silver lining, Ma, I’ll look after ya ..”

“You’re only sixteen.  When did ya get so wise?” she said, raising her eyes to her son’s face.  He shrugged, holding tightly onto her hand. 

“We’ll be okay Ma..” He paused a little, “That’s dad’s bathrobe, isn't it?”

She sniffed and managed a weak laugh, “Yeah, it is ..”

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 03:07:56 pm by Lucise »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #728 on: March 15, 2007, 03:42:51 pm »

Its very late, in the afternoon, on the fourteenth  of May.  Cassie drives up to Ennis'
trailer, and goes to the door.  "He said he was going to be home, last night."   She is very
enthused to see him again. After his week off, with his fishing buddy.  She  figures he will
now be ready, for some real loving.  She raps on the door.  It gives an unsolid rattley sound. 
She is used to it, by now..  She realizes rather belatedly his pickup is not here. Very well, she
figures.   She isn't used to the business, of chasing after men.  They are the ones usually doin the chasin.   But, I will just leave him a note.  She decides, then. 
     She walks back to her car.  Looks in the console, and finds pen, and a piece of paper.  Its only, the old envelope from her last electic bill.  But it works.  She quickly scribbles the fact,
she is going to be home all evening.  For him to come on by.  Soon as he gets home.  She is anxious to see him...How much she has missed him, and if he can't make it.  She will drive
on out to the ranch, and see him tomorow.  Maybe around his lunch hour, and they can have, a picnic lunch together..  She will make him a lunch and bring it along..  She sees that
the inside of the envelope, has that shiny silver lining, that some of the  utilities use.  Maybe that will be a good omen, she wonders,, "LOVE CASSIE'

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:09:54 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #729 on: March 15, 2007, 04:30:16 pm »
May 9th 1988 6:10 PM

Jack slipping a red and white carnation boutonnière to Ennis's lapel. "Jack...Jack...got somethin" fer ya.."

"Mmm..." Jack raises is eyebrows.

Ennis retrieves a small box wrapped in fancy gleaming paper from small compartment in their shared suitcase hands it to Jack hardly able to contain himself. Jack carefully opens the package careful not to tear the paper. Still in the original mailing box addressed to Ennis c/o Andy and Rita Colins, Jack opens the outer package finding a smaller dark burgundy box inside. Lifting of the cover, removing a layer of cotton, Jack sees a very ornate sterling silver belt buckle, in the center are two horses and riders, one with rope lassoing a small calf in gold. Jack is left speechless bites its lower lip.

"They call that design 'Team Roper' .It's me 'an you bud...Yer the one with the rope..."

Jack, eye moist,  still at a loss. "Oh Ennis.....It.....It sure is...."

"Turn it around...look at the back...." Jack turns the buckle over in his hand. Sees.

Jack and Ennis May 9th, 1963

"Ennis......Ennis.....this is somethin'....you sent away fer this?....Had it made special."

"Aw heck....Ain't nothin'...."

"Sure is Ennis...." Jack picks up the mailing box looks at the postmark. "Hey Ennis....they sent this to you in March....You....You  knew all along....You knew it 25 years comin' on, had sometin' planed all along....."

"Didn't know how long it a take is all....don't mean nothin'"

"Was April when I fist told ya how long it been ......acted like you didn't even remember....You had somethin' planned the whole time....."

Ennis looks down shyly, Jack embraces him resting his chin on his shoulder. "Got sometin' fer you too."

"Where did cha hide it!....I didn't....find......"

"I knew I couldn't trust you.....had it sent to the hotel....they kept it here......"

"Damn you Twist....."

Excerpt from as yet otherwise unwritten, unreleased Chapter 4 of "SHIRTS..."

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 12:02:08 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.