Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178071 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #760 on: March 18, 2007, 03:42:02 pm »
Yeah...  Trust Ennis to think leather!...  -grin...

;D  I know .. I wonder what made him think of leather ..lol

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #761 on: March 18, 2007, 03:48:21 pm »
My contribution folkses.  :)  It went a little long, but here goes ..

Under the birch tree..

Wednesday, June 15th 1966

Ennis sat down heavily in the shade of a big birch tree in the ranch yard.  He unsnapped the buttons of his shirt and sighed, relishing the feeling of the cool breeze upon his perspiring skin.  He opened up the old tin lunch box and pulled out one of the neatly-wrapped ham and cheese sandwiches Alma had packed for him.  He gobbled it down in a few bites; he was famished.  He took a gulp of the warm brew in his thermos and grabbed another sandwich from the box.

He mostly ate his lunches alone; he liked keeping to himself.  The lesser the other hands knew about him, the better.  He looked across the yard and noticed Charlie Ed, or ‘Eddie’ as the others called him, sitting on a bale of hay by the barn door.  Ennis quickly lowered his eyes; he could feel his heart beating faster.  He didn’t dare question himself as to why he had this reaction every time he saw Eddie.  He didn’t think he could face the answer.  He managed another glance in Eddie’s direction; he swallowed hard when he realized Eddie was walking towards him.  He kept his eyes firmly planted on his half empty lunch box.

“Howdy!  Del Mar, isn’t it?”  Eddie asked with a smile, offering his hand. 

“Hey ..” Ennis said, taking it, and hoping against hope that Eddie did not catch him staring at his bare chest and the strong muscles in his arm when he shook his hand.  “Yeah, it’s Del Mar..”

“Ya started about two weeks ago, right?” Eddie inquired, sitting himself on the ground a few feet away from Ennis.

“Er, yeah .. about that long ..” Ennis added, averting the other man's eyes as if his life depended on it.

“I seen ya around .. yer a hard worker.” Eddie said, smiling at Ennis' obvious discomfort.  “Me, I been here six months.  I’m saving up to move to California some time next year..”

“California?” Ennis asked, finally looking into the warm hazel eyes.

“Yeah, I got a friend there.  Hoping to start me a new life, ya know?.. My folks is long gone an’ I got an aunt here looking after me.  A man gets tired of takin’ charity, ya know? .. Gotta start makin’ my own way .. really makin' my own way, ya know?”.

Ennis nodded quietly.  “I understan’..”  A pregnant silence passed between them.

“Well .. I gotta be gettin’ back to them stables Ennis.” Eddie said, rising to his feet.  “Look .. maybe we can go fer a beer some day after work..”

“Er, okay.. sure, maybe ..”  Ennis faltered. 

He watched as Eddie walked away, brushing off the dirt from the seat of his jeans and then adjusting the straw hat on his head.  His eyes roamed on Eddie’s bare back and the dark curls of hair that fell softly on his neck.  He swallowed hard.  Eddie was beautiful, almost as much as ...  His thoughts drifted once more to Jack – he hadn’t seen him in three years now, but he thought on him almost every single day.  He leaned against the birch bark and closed his eyes.  The eyes staring back at him were as vivid a blue as ever.  He would see Jack again, he longed to, he needed to, he hoped with all the faith he could muster .. he would see Jack again.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:57:13 pm by Lucise »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #762 on: March 18, 2007, 03:58:39 pm »
Thanks, drabblers, for keeping things going while I am away! I am finding it hard to keep up with Bettermost, pictures, email, etc., while I am traveling. On the other hand, I am having a great time with my wonderful EuroBrokie friends. So, I guess that is a fair trade off! If I don't post prompts early in the morning tomorrow, will someone step in for me again? Thanks....

Hugs to all,

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline High Priestess

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #763 on: March 18, 2007, 04:25:06 pm »
Fanfic from the new member!  I hope you enjoy my humble crumbs lol!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crossing The River.

Jack's mule was somewhat hesitant as it struggled with the protruding rocks in the shallows of the stream.  Ennis was not far behind - his attentions waivering between the lamb he had strewn across his lap and the sight of Jack's shirt which was clinging tenaciously to his sculptured back.  The heat was over-bearing and the sweat emanating from Jack was bringing about a profound thirst in Ennis.

Ennis took his own horse on a different route to avoid causing unnecessary disruptance to his lamb.  As the crisp and cool water slapped against the hocks of the horse, Ennis' mind drifted - thoughts of Jack were now over-bearing and Ennis wondered if Jack was of his own persuasion.  Ennis struggled and fought with the knowledge that he was to wed another - he knew that he had to surpress his inner yearnings for now at least.....
I love to cook with wine.  Sometimes I even put some in the food!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #764 on: March 18, 2007, 05:02:21 pm »
Hey HighPriestess!

Welcome to the Drabblefest!  :)

Offline High Priestess

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #765 on: March 18, 2007, 05:17:27 pm »
Hey HighPriestess!

Welcome to the Drabblefest!  :)

Why thank you very much Lucise - glad to be here!

Regards,

Lo  :-*

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #766 on: March 18, 2007, 06:06:16 pm »
M,
I am so glad your back here today, I missed you the last couple of days. :)

Thanks for another beautiful drabble.

High Priestess,  Welcome!!!!  I am real happy your here :)

Thank you TH for the great drabbles.

Cheers to all,

Marl

Offline High Priestess

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #767 on: March 18, 2007, 06:15:27 pm »
Marl, thank you so much for both the invitation to join the gang and for the lovely welcome.

I am so grateful to you - this seems a great place to hang out - I have been treated so nicely and to that end I think I will be a regular poster when time permits!

I am indebted - this forum really rocks!  So much to read and explore!

My very best wishes,

Lo x  :-*

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #768 on: March 18, 2007, 06:18:14 pm »
What wonderful drabbles today!  :)

.  .  .  Ennis stopped and looked at the stars. He did have faith in those stars.

Marl, I agree with Milli - I love this drabble-story!  This line is particularly beautiful - Ennis really wants and needs to have faith in something, doesn't he?

.  .  .A small hand on his leg... "It gonna be alright, Mister."

.  .  .One never knows where comfort will come from in life... and Ennis was not about to reject it... - even from the mouth of a small boy. 

.  .  .He smiled, reached out and grabbed his arm squeezing it gently and said.  "It will come to you, son... It will come to you."

TH, thank you so much for these two drabbles. I was so moved  - they brought tears to my eyes (and a smile to my face).  All of us need to be open to the comfort and love that's offered to us. 

.   .  .  He would see Jack again, he longed to, he needed to, he hoped with all the faith he could muster .. he would see Jack again.

Amazing as always, M!

High Priestess, it is great to meet you!  We love seeing new drabblers.  Your writing is beautifully descriptive and we hope to see many more of your drabbles!   :)

Thanks,
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline High Priestess

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #769 on: March 18, 2007, 06:21:46 pm »
Lucise - that signature pic is very hot!  :o Hehehehehe!

It's the best I have ever seen!  Wow!  Don't change it any day soon, it's really provocative and also evoking of my emotions.  Such a great movie and love story - your sig really captures the intensity of this.  Excellent!

Regards,

Lo  :-*