Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178104 times)

Offline High Priestess

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #770 on: March 18, 2007, 06:24:45 pm »
Why thank you for the lovely welcome Mariez!

Great to finally be on a forum where people really appreciate this great love story!  Your comments were most kind - thank you for making me feel comfortable.

With best wishes,

Lo x  :-*
I love to cook with wine.  Sometimes I even put some in the food!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #771 on: March 18, 2007, 06:37:06 pm »
Marie- I just can't stop thank stop thanking you and thank you again, Milli, for your kind wordsl

Its funny, that line about Ennis and the stars just stayed with me all day since I wrote it this morning. I am so glad that you liked it Marie, I was hoping you would.

:-*

Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #772 on: March 18, 2007, 06:50:13 pm »
M,
I am so glad your back here today, I missed you the last couple of days. :)

Thanks for another beautiful drabble.
Marl

Aww, cheers Marl!   :-*

Lucise - that signature pic is very hot!  :o Hehehehehe!

It's the best I have ever seen!  Wow!  Don't change it any day soon, it's really provocative and also evoking of my emotions.  Such a great movie and love story - your sig really captures the intensity of this.  Excellent!

Regards,

Lo  :-*

Glad you like the siggie pic, Lo! 
And sure thing, I'll keep it for a time longer!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 06:54:02 pm by Lucise »

Offline High Priestess

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #773 on: March 18, 2007, 07:37:20 pm »
Oh goodie Lucise!!

I am gonna swoon any minute looking at the various *cough* developments on that sig  ;D

Don't ever change it unless you have a hotter one to replace it....NO...what am I saying?  My heart can't take any more!!!  :laugh:  (swoons in a ladylike fashion)  ;D

Lo x  :-*

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #774 on: March 19, 2007, 02:15:33 am »
      Ennis is sitting on the small bed, in his trailer.  He is watching the late evening news.  Well more listening, than
watching it.  Some guy on the TV from a place in the midwest, is saying how his house is being flooded yet again, by the Mississippi and the Missouri rivers overflowing the levees.  The whole town is neck deep or worse in water.  The National Guard is picking people up in boats, and helicopters, and taking them to other safer, for the moment. resting places.  He is crying, and saying how he has "no idea where, his wife and children are.  They are somewhere and I dont have any idea where," the man sighs.
       He thinks back on his life, and wonders what it all means.. People have hopes, when they start out, that they will have enough money, and enough, friends and family to live happily. " But what does that mean, really?"  "Some people work their entire life to have a piece of the good life, and then nature, comes along and destroys it in the blink of an eye." 
      "Some have faith that the good lord will provide, the necessities of life.  All they have to do is, just show up every day, and by some miracle of life, the fortunes will arrive."
      "Then there are others, that go out and work, and dilligently do so in the lives of others as well as their own.  They expect nothing, and work and give and are very strong minded, and caring.."
      He then ponders; " what will the lord find in me?  When and if I get to that place where he has to make the choice where I will go."  "Will he find no charity for me?  Simply because the person I loved on this earth was a man.  I didn't choose to love him.  It just was, same as i had brown eyes, and blond hair.  The same as I was tall, or skinny, or any other way he made me."  "Is he then going to say I deserve no charity,   Simply for being how he made me.  For who i am."  "I can then have no faith. Or hope, if I, do not then deserve charity."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 02:22:17 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline High Priestess

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #775 on: March 19, 2007, 06:43:08 am »
The Tent

Jack was growing increasingly impatient as Ennis' audible shivvering became all-encompassing a sound in the otherwise silence of the midnight mountain air. 

Hauling himself into an upright position, Jack pulled the flaps of the flimsy tent to one side and observed his own steamy breath as he coaxed the rather drunken Ennis into the warmth of the nest.

Ennis didn't need to be invited a second time as he staggered toward Jack, clutching his meagre blanket, his hands almost blue with cold.

'Steady there' Jack uttered as Ennis clumsily entered the tent, almost detaching it from it's pegged moorings.  Ennis sank down beside Jack, delighting in the warmth of his body.  Jack was suddenly all too aware of his friend's cold and shivery body and his first thought was to wrap a comforting arm around him but he resisted for now.  He didn't want Ennis to mistake his well-intentioned gesture for one born of a more selfish motive.

Ten long minutes had passed but it was clear that Ennis was still wide awake - and still shivvering.  Jack feigned sleep and turned to face Ennis, lazily draping his left arm over his friend - it was a test of high magnitude and not one without risk......

(To be continued)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #776 on: March 19, 2007, 08:16:08 am »
"There are a lot of ignorant people in the world, Ennis.  They are called 'the poor' but they are not stupid.  You didn't get much schoolin' but you are not stupid.  .  . '

That was beautifully profound, TH.  Once had this very discussion about Ennis - he is indeed a smart man - the intelligent aren't necessarily educated and the educated aren't necessarily intelligent. 

.  .  .
      He then ponders; " what will the lord find in me?  When and if I get to that place where he has to make the choice where I will go."  "Will he find no charity for me?  Simply because the person I loved on this earth was a man.  I didn't choose to love him.  It just was, same as i had brown eyes, and blond hair.  The same as I was tall, or skinny, or any other way he made me."  "Is he then going to say I deserve no charity,   Simply for being how he made me.  For who i am."  "I can then have no faith. Or hope, if I, do not then deserve charity."

That's so touching, Janice - so sad.  Of course Ennis is so deserving of love.

.  .  . it was a test of high magnitude and not one without risk......

I really like the way you phrased that! 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #777 on: March 19, 2007, 08:21:03 am »
Good Monday Mornin' drabblers,

How about these prompts for today:

• a board game
  • silly
  • dusk

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
« Reply #778 on: March 19, 2007, 09:16:44 am »
the intelligent aren't necessarily educated and the educated aren't necessarily intelligent. 

... aint that the truth!...  Thanks for the comments... 

I think it was Archbishop Temple who said that God must love the poor because He made so many of them... 

-smile
I know you think I know that you know what you think I said.
Know you what you think I know you know is not what I meant?

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
« Reply #779 on: March 19, 2007, 09:39:54 am »
He leaned against the birch bark and closed his eyes.  The eyes staring back at him were as vivid a blue as ever.  He would see Jack again, he longed to, he needed to, he hoped with all the faith he could muster .. he would see Jack again.

-smile...  Really well put...  thanks... 
I know you think I know that you know what you think I said.
Know you what you think I know you know is not what I meant?