Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178070 times)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #940 on: April 05, 2007, 09:30:47 am »
Well, I like it better without all the white stuff, especially in April!

Here's a warmer view, from last August.

hey Leslie if you like the warmer view, why dont you come down here to Fla and get that at least 9 months out of the year! ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #941 on: April 05, 2007, 09:38:41 am »
hey Leslie if you like the warmer view, why dont you come down here to Fla and get that at least 9 months out of the year! ;)

Thanks for the invite, Dev, but I could never live in Florida...

Okay folks, enough diversions here. Let's get drabbling!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #942 on: April 05, 2007, 10:01:59 am »
(I don't mean to keep stringing this out, but I am already way over....)

The Apartment

(July 2003)
“We were together for seven years” the artist repeated, his eyes gazing off at an unseen distance.  “After the first year or so we got a nice apartment.  Those were some great days.  I kept hoping it would never end.  There was a snowstorm once, we got way over a foot of snow, we didn’t get out of …….”  The artist looked over at Ennis, and gave a little laugh.  “We didn’t go outside for over three days” he said with a chuckle.

“You know, sometimes a person could be living the best days of their lives and not even know it.  Not have a clue.  But I did know” the artist continued.  “I really did.  I always wished there was a way to copy the special days on a Xerox machine, so you can take them out and look at them and repeat them over and over again, every time you need to.”

Ennis turned away from the artist.  He could feel the tears grow in his eyes.  How often he thought, “if only I’d known, if only I’d known.”

The artist picked up his tea cup.  He took the one from Ennis too.  He silently got up and went to make some more hot tea.

He came back to the table with the two hot cups.  Ennis took one in his hands.  The artist sat back down, and held on to the handle of his tea cup.  “We had a real nice place, real nice.  Friends from all over the city came over all the time.  It almost was like a party every night.  I didn’t always want to be around a lot of people.  But those evenings, I always knew, that soon I’d be alone with him.”  The artist took a sip of tea and sighed.

“Luckily, he came from a little money, we had real nice place.  I could never have had it on my own.  There even was a swimming pool, a big one in the basement.”  All of a sudden the artist let out a loud laugh.  Ennis was startled and looked up at him.  “I just thought of the time, well, we had a little too much wine, and we went swimming in the early morning.”  The artist laughed again.  “We went swimming the natural way” he said, looking directly at Ennis.  “We didn’t know it was the time the old ladies in the building had their daily swim.”  The artist laughed again, his face suddenly looking like it was lit from the inside by the sun.  Ennis smiled too.

But just as quickly as it came, the sun faded away.  The darkness came back again.

“Yes, I wish I had a copy of those days, damn, I wish I did.”

Ennis closed his eyes.  He wished that he did too.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:13:09 am by Cameron »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #943 on: April 05, 2007, 10:06:19 am »
Twenty minutes later the pair head for the door, Ennis resumes his banter “Ah whole month….Huh?…What took ya so damn long?…..Scared…er what Jack.” Ennis looks back, Jack pushing him, through the door.

“Scared?….Me?…..If I made ya come inta that tent one night sooner you’da gone running down lickidy split….left me up there ta tend the sheep myself……’Sides wanted ta court ya proper….” Jack said as they walked the deserted hallway to the elevators.

“Court me proper?…..All I remember is ya sneakin’ a lookin’ when I wuz washin’ up, bet ya didn’t think I saw?…… Huh?…..getting’ me drunk so I couldn’t ride up ta the sheep….an….telling’ me ta come in the tent……and…”

“And?….” Jack turn to Ennis. “What about before?”

“And….and……

"And?

"And telling me all them bull riddin’ stories…at night by the campfire …lookin’ up at the stars…..and … skinning that Elk ya went with me ta shoot……and askin me ‘bout my brother ‘n sister…..and washin’ my face up that time I fell of the horse….sayin’ we should be both stayin’ in camp at night……..having my supper always ready when I came back, even if it was burned…….”

“And?….”

Ennis looks down.

“And….” Jack places is hand on Ennis’s shoulder. “And….singing ta ya when ya fell asleep by the fire….holdin’ ya …just a little….”

“Jack….that wuz you?”

Jack nods, the door opens to an empty elevator car and they step in.

“Thought all this time I dreamed that….”

“More than once bud…”

“Damn you Twist….” Ennis’s eye start to fill. Jack grabs in in a tight embrace, broken only when the bell chimes and the doors open to the lobby.

“Hey Ennis ya wanna walk by the pool on the way out?”

“There’s a pool?”

“And Jacuzzi.”

“C’n we swim?” Ennis says with excitement.

“Sure Ennis…Brought some old trunks I had just in case.”

“Don’t know….never swam with trunks on before….especially with you…..mebe we can come down here middle o’ the night an swim when no ones around….huh?”

Jack smiles back at Ennis, winks. “Sure enough Ennis….” Security cameras be damned he thought.

Excerpt from 'SUITS, SHIRTS AND 25 MEANS SILVER'
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #944 on: April 05, 2007, 12:28:24 pm »
Shards

.  .  . just pieces of the man, never whole. 

Never whole, indeed.  You're a wonder, Fern. 

.  .  .“You know, sometimes a person could be living the best days of their lives and not even know it.  Not have a clue. .  .  .   

So true, so true.  This is a beautiful series, Marl. 

.  .  .“Don’t know….never swam with trunks on before….especially with you…..mebe we can come down here middle o’ the night an swim when no ones around….huh?”

Jack smiles back at Ennis, winks. “Sure enough Ennis….” Security cameras be damned he thought.

Excerpt from 'SUITS, SHIRTS AND 25 MEANS SILVER' 

:laugh: I thought of this chapter when I saw the prompt, Mark!  How's the next chapter coming? 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #945 on: April 05, 2007, 01:19:34 pm »
My dabble ..  :)

Up in Smoke ..

November 1978

Jack’s eyes drifted open as he awoke to the sound of a crackling fire and the whistle of the night wind outside the little cabin windows.  Ennis was sitting in the rocking chair by the wooden table, brown eyes fixed on Jack.

“What time is it?” Jack said in a sleep-clogged voice.

“’Bout eight .. I got a beef stew goin’ on the stove.  We can eat some of that soon.  Ya hungry?” he asked, still watching Jack intently.

Jack nodded and turned to look out the window.  “Fuck!  Snow’s comin’ down like crazy out there!  Bound to be about a foot of it by mornin’!” he exclaimed, sitting up in bed.  “Very nice of ya friend to give us this place for the week again, Ennis … Maybe we oughta build our own cabin some place, just you and me.  We could ya know?!”

Ennis smiled quietly, still watching him; his eyes roaming on Jack’s bare chest.

“I know where I’m gonna take ya next summer, if you’d like to go..” Jack continued, not dissuaded by Ennis’ silence.  “There’s this dude ranch over in Dubois - Paradise Ranch or Heavenly Ranch .. some name like that.  Anyway, I’m gonna take ya there for a few days.  They got ridin’ trails, and we could go fishin’, huntin’ and they even got swimming pools, not to mention some damn good home cookin’..” Jack rattled on, excitement written all over his face.

“So ya been there before..?” Ennis asked softly.

“Yeah..”

“Ya went by yerself?” brown eyes still fixed on Jack.

Jack searched Ennis’ face for a moment.  Why the fuck was he in such a mood tonight?  Everything was swell when they'd collapsed in a sweaty heap not too long ago..  “Yeah, I did..” he replied, a puzzled look on his face.

Ennis stood up abruptly and walked over to the bubbling pot on the woodstove.  He reached into his pocket and pulled out the piece of paper that had fallen out of Jack’s shirt pocket when they’d undressed hurriedly a few hours before. “We’ll meet in Dubois.  Will tell you when & where.  Randall”.  He crunched the paper and dropped it in the fire.

“Let’s eat..” he finally said, carrying the steaming pot to the wooden table.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:42:36 am by Lucise »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #946 on: April 05, 2007, 06:27:31 pm »
My dabble ..  :)

Up in Smoke ..

Ennis stood up abruptly and walked over to the bubbling pot on the woodstove.  He reached into his pocket and pulled out the piece of paper that had fallen out of Jack’s shirt pocket when they’d undressed hurriedly a few hours before. “We’ll meet in Dubois.  Will tell you when & where.  Randall”.  He crunched the paper and dropped it in the fire.

“Let’s eat..” he finally said, carrying the steaming pot to the wooden table.

Good drabble!
Sadly if I were Ennis that likely would have been that last time I ever met Jack.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #947 on: April 05, 2007, 06:43:31 pm »
Good drabble!
Sadly if I were Ennis that likely would have been that last time I ever met Jack.

Thanks Mark.  I see what you mean .. :)

I guess 'my drabble Ennis' did not want to deal with the idea that Jack was possibly seeing other men.  He chose to give Jack the benefit of the doubt and not press the matter further because he was not prepared to know the whole truth;  and he also harbored his own guilt for holding back Jack's dream of a life together .. So I guess a part of him felt responsible for Jack's 'extra-curricular' activities with other men, if he was infact having them ..  :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #948 on: April 05, 2007, 06:47:34 pm »
.  .  .“Ya went by yerself?” brown eyes still fixed on Jack. .  . .

Awww, killing me again, Milli.  God, how sad and frustrating for them both.   

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #949 on: April 06, 2007, 12:00:26 am »

:laugh: I thought of this chapter when I saw the prompt, Mark!  How's the next chapter coming? 

Thanks,
Marie
it's all worked out in my head, just have to put it down.

Mark