Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1184232 times)

Offline insane-romantic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My Myspace
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2007, 04:11:12 pm »
Ennis...Ennis can you hear me? I'm right her beside you bud. I can't ever tell you how much it means that your up here with me in my room. When I was growing up, didn't have no brothers or sisters, no other kids around.. Always had chores after school, no one would come all the way out here to play. The toy rider, the little pickup, nobody's hands on 'm but mine. And now here you are in my room where I lay in my bed under the quilt my mama sewed at night praying to the Lord to bring me someone so I wouldn't feel so all alone. And he sure answered my prayers bud, that day so many years ago when I first saw you, know 'n  I was a goin' to spend summer with ya, I knew then the Lord gave me Ennis Del Mar, you are  my very best friend, been everything to me, became a man with you that summer. Now don 't ya go worrin' about me always wishin' for what cudd'a' been, I'm save 'n a place for us and we'll be together for always.

Ennis..... could you please look in on my mama from time to time, it been so hard for her, I know you will bud...I know I don't even have' t ask.

One more thing Ennis, if you can hear me, go to the closet, there is something of both of ours together there, you'll know when you see it, take it keep it close, it'll help you through until were together again. I...I love you so very much Ennis.

This is amazing, very sad :( I can imagine Jack saying it too.... you're a very good writer! :)
I saw you were sick and tired of my wrong turns.
If you only knew the way I feel,
I'd really love to tell you,
But I could never seem to say
The things I needed to.
On a day like today
No other words would do.

Keane: On A Day Like Today

Offline el_wing

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • and bite me too...
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2007, 04:59:40 pm »
“Why you have to leave a day earlier than we planned?” Jack asked, kicking leg on the night stand.

“Work. Can’t help it. Gotta make a livin’.” 

"Damn it. I hate this."

“Come here darlin’,” Ennis coaxed.

Ennis’ lopsided smile only pissed Jack off more. Jack crossed his arms and anchored himself to the spot on the other side of the bed. Like warring parties, neither wanted to cross the great divide of the old feather bed in Don Wroe's cabin.

“Quit yer mopin’. I know ya wanna come here,”  Ennis said, looking down as his foot bumped Jack’s duffle bag. He nudged it again with his toe. He raised his eyebrow as he bent down.

“Don’t—ya--dare,” Jack said as Ennis reached down inside Jack’s beat up bag, pulling out the familiar old lariat.

“Now what’s this?” Ennis asked, looping it easy around his hand, moving it between his fingers like he was stroking a part a Jack.

Jack swallowed. Sweat beaded on his forehead. Damn, he thought.

In a blink, Ennis snapped the lariat over Jack’s shoulders, trapping his strong arms and sweeping Jack up and over, wham, on to the bed.

Before Jack could squeal a tiny protest, Ennis pulled himself over the top a Jack like the wedding ring quilt already tucked tight into the bedframe. Jack’s lips protested with only a "S-s" when they stopped. Jack eyes grew wide and pensive. The kiss that come next was liquid fire. To Ennis’ delight, the tighter he pulled the rope, the harder Jack got. He unsnapped Jack’s jeans and pushed them down with the back of his hand. He fastened onto Jack rubbing him as hard and as tight as the rope around him.

After that night, that lariat only roped select two legged livestock.

249 words
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 05:04:37 pm by el_wing »
Leaves turn over with the times,
The sun breaks each day with shines,
Hither awhile, then whither back--
It is life that people lack.
     ~el-wing

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2007, 06:39:06 pm »
One more dabble ..  8)

You got me ..
"You got me, cowboy"  he said with a twinkle in his eyes
"Now tame me!"

Awesome . . . as always!  Please keep dabbling!

“Here ya go buddy.”  He handed the hot cup of tea to Jack, who grasped it in both hands.

“Thank yer,” he said as he let the warm liquid slip down his throat.  A moment later, Ennis could sense Jack falling asleep.  He gently touched Jack’s face as the blue eyes went dark with sleep.  The fever had broken, and he could feel the cool sweat break out over Jack’s forehead.  When Jack took sick a few days ago, Ennis cursed him silently for ruining this week, but with him sleeping and being healed by Ennis touch, he could now feel only what he would never say out loud.

He reached across his sleeping friend and tucked the quilt in around him.

122 words

This one's for Janice

Aww........ sweet Ennis.

Jack swallowed. Sweat beaded on his forehead. Damn, he thought.

In a blink, Ennis snapped the lariat over Jack’s shoulders, trapping his strong arms and sweeping Jack up and over, wham, on to the bed.

Before Jack could squeal a tiny protest, Ennis pulled himself over the top a Jack like the wedding ring quilt already tucked tight into the bedframe. Jack’s lips protested with only a "S-s" when they stopped. Jack eyes grew wide and pensive. The kiss that come next was liquid fire. To Ennis’ delight, the tighter he pulled the rope, the harder Jack got. He unsnapped Jack’s jeans and pushed them down with the back of his hand. He fastened onto Jack rubbing him as hard and as tight as the rope around him.

After that night, that lariat only roped select two legged livestock.

249 words

Damn, is right, Jack.  I knew I was gonna like that lariat prompt.

Thanks again, all.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2007, 02:29:47 am »
“Here ya go buddy.”  He handed the hot cup of tea to Jack, who grasped it in both hands.

“Thank yer,” he said as he let the warm liquid slip down his throat.  A moment later, Ennis could sense Jack falling asleep.  He gently touched Jack’s face as the blue eyes went dark with sleep.  The fever had broken, and he could feel the cool sweat break out over Jack’s forehead.  When Jack took sick a few days ago, Ennis cursed him silently for ruining this week, but with him sleeping and being healed by Ennis touch, he could now feel only what he would never say out loud.

122 words

This one's for Janice

I love the sincerity you put into your work., and the kind and loving way you express all of the  simple connections  in your writing..so unfettered, and honest...       thank you Scott         janice
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:32:51 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2007, 02:42:16 am »

122 words

This one's for Janice

wonderful drabble scott!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2007, 10:18:36 am »
Good morning drabblers...

Yesterday was the first day I missed writing a drabble  :( I am leaving for Salt Lake City on Tuesday and I am rushing to catch up on lots of loose ends here at work, and I am finding my mind is occupied with that...no time for being creative right now! But I am glad others are still feeling the buzz. Wonderful contributions yesterday, as they all have been. I love the drabblefest!

For today, try these:

• calendar
  • telephone
  • exquisite

If people want to send me ideas for prompts, please do. This is not a one woman show, by any means!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2007, 01:14:27 pm »
July 12, 1971

Ennis wiped the sweat of his brow as he took a bite of macaroni and cheese from his plate shared with a couple of hot dogs and string beans. He glanced up at the photoShayde Seed & Feed store in the wall, numbers and squares below indicating it would be another two weeks...two more weeks until he would be up in the Big Horns with ...Jack. Two weeks of sweating at the ranch under the unrelenting sun, two weeks until he could leave at noon and head up to the mountains, two weeks until he could swim in the cool crisp water, two weeks until he could be with...Jack.

Jack sat at his desk, brochures of the lastest New Holland farm equipment plied on his blotter, his eyes stopped at the far right. Two weeks until he would see Ennis. Two weeks of pages to tear off, until the one with the number 27 was revealed. Two weeks of appointments, lunches, machinery deals to close. Two weeks until he would jump into his Ford pickup heading north, closing in the miles between him and Ennis. Two weeks until he feels those arms around him locked in a steel embrace.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:05:24 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2007, 02:59:03 pm »
        Jack stared at the road sign,,it was very early in the morning..the sun on his right...just coming up..
the glare of the morning sun, always made the trip north more difficult...Today starts the time of him and
Ennis.  No phones to ring, inviting annoyances and irritations of his mundane life.. no calendars,,,with endless and meaningless dates and times,  and no goodbyes..! 
       It is simply a time of exquisite happiness, love and joy... He is going to Ennis,, he is going back,
he is going home, to Ennis..  All the other times in between are like being in exile.  He is the weary
traveler,,going home..

98 words
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:14:16 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2007, 03:13:11 pm »
Thorn
Alma hated the calendar. As soon as he got one of those darned postcards, Ennis always stepped in front of the calendar and marked the days he would go FISHING with Jack Twist. He used to encircle the days he would be away, no further comments - and none needed. Another whole month she had to face her husband's evil every time she walked out of the kitchen. It never failed to catch her eye.

75 words
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 03:20:41 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2007, 09:14:29 am »
Better late than never! My contribution to yesterday's prompts.

October, 1963

Ennis and Alma sat in the front seat of his truck, Ennis’s arm loosely draped across Alma’s shoulder. She turned her head and smiled at her husband-to-be. “Y’know, Ennis, I was thinkin’, we’re gettin’ married in three weeks, mebbe we should go to the jewelry store, buy some rings.”

Ennis looked at her. “I ain’t got much money…Aguirre cheated me out of a month a pay. Can’t buy anythin’ fancy.”

“I don’t need a diamond, Ennis. Just a plain gold ring, ta show we’re married.”

Ennis turned his head and looked at Alma soberly. “Ya still want ta go through with this?”

“A course I do. I love you.”

Ennis nodded, but didn’t say anything in response.

October, 1965

Lureen leaned over the glass case, pointing to a large emerald cut diamond. “Oh, Jack, look at that one!” she exclaimed. “It’s exquisite!”

“And it probably costs a fortune. I ain’t got that kind a money,” said Jack, frowning at the ring as the jeweler took it from the case.

“Oh don’t worry ‘bout that. Daddy said he’d make us a loan…hell, he’ll probably just buy the thing for us, if I ask.” She looked at the jeweler. “What do you have for men’s rings? Something with a diamond.”

“A diamond for me?” stammered Jack. “Ain’t right. I just want somethin’ plain and simple. Hell, I don’t know that I want a ring at all.”

“A course yer gonna have a ring, and it’s gonna have a diamond. We’re gettin’ married, after all.”

Jack nodded, but didn’t say anything in response.

262 words

« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 06:19:55 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!