Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183393 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #750 on: March 17, 2007, 02:45:44 pm »
     Jack bends over to the ground and picks a blade of grass from the hilltop where he lays..  His eyes are filled with water, but he will not cry.  He is so hurt, and distraught, he can not even think.. But there it stood, like an omen from on high.   A bright green, four leaf shamrock clover.  "They" say it is supposed to bring you good luck...Yeah,,?  "Who the hell are "they?"  "It sure hasn't been very lucky for me."  He swallows a deep sob, and get up from the ground.  The sky is a bright clear blue.
    No rainbow in these skies, no pot of gold, at the end of any rainbow, neither." 
     "There doesn't seem to be any thing, lucky, about this day, and I can only hope it'll get better from here."     
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 05:39:42 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #751 on: March 17, 2007, 04:17:33 pm »
Janice,  I am glad you drabbled too today, excellent drabble!!

Marl

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #752 on: March 17, 2007, 05:37:26 pm »

5
        We seem to be the only ones with the candle still lit today,, so heres a hi fiver for you and me..................

good job bud....                                            janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #753 on: March 18, 2007, 02:33:38 am »
Thanks......... bud   ;)

Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #754 on: March 18, 2007, 03:02:02 am »
I have been missing in action lately ..
Maybe I'll have something the next round, who knows..

Good work drabblers!  8)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #755 on: March 18, 2007, 08:57:27 am »
                                                                                                                                                 5
        We seem to be the only ones with the candle still lit today,, so heres a hi fiver for you and me..................

good job bud....                                            janice

A high five to both of you, Janice and Marl!  Not only two great drabbles, but I loved how each of you showed us a different side of a triangle - connected by Ennis.  Sweet Jack - so many sad, unlucky days without his Ennis.  And poor Cassie, too, waiting for that pot o' gold.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #756 on: March 18, 2007, 09:02:07 am »
Good Morning!

Any Sunday drabblers?  How about these:

• hope
  • faith
  • charity

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #757 on: March 18, 2007, 11:56:54 am »
(I hope all you wonderful drabblers are here today.  Here is the next part)

The Dinner

(May 1985)
Ennis sat on the chair for a while waiting for the shaking to stop.  He tried to breathe deeply, but it didn’t help much.  Finally, after a while he got up and began walking over to Tom’s trailer.

It was now a clear night, the clouds had moved on.  Ennis stopped and looked at the stars. He did have faith in those stars.

When Ennis got to Tom’s trailer he found the door open.  Tom was sitting at his table.  The table was set with two bowls and two plates.  Tom was sitting there holding the picture of his friend.

He looked up.

“Oh good, you’re here, I had hope that ya would get here real soon.”

Tom got up, took Ennis’s hand and led him to the table.  Ennis hoped that Tom couldn’t feel the trembling.

“Nothing fancy” Tom said.  “Just some good soup and then ya’ll see.”

Ennis tasted the soup. It was like nothing he had ever tasted before.  Full of flavors different from all that he had known.

Tom and Ennis ate in silence. Then Tom brought over two sandwiches that were all brown and melting and dripping.

“This is real good here”  was all Ennis could say, but he had never known food could be like this.

After they finished eating, they went outside.  Thy sat on the plastic lawn chairs, smoking and drinking beer, but not talking.  Ennis found himself unable to keep his eyes off Tom, as he half lay on the plastic lawn chair.  His silver hair was glimmering in the moonlight.

Suddenly Tom spoke “I better go clean up and save what’s left.  Ya know, I ain’t a churchgoing man but I always try to give something to charity, to make the Lord happy.”

Ennis looked at him puzzled.  “Ya think he is, happy….even though….”   But the words couldn’t quite come out.

Tom stood up.  “Ya know, I think he is, I think God loves us all, don’t ya?”

Ennis shook his head “I don’t know, I don’t think so, I…..”

But he couldn’t say anything else because Tom took his hands and pulled him up from the chair.  Tom wrapped his arms around him, bringing Ennis real close against his body.  His mouth was on Ennis’s once again, tasting of the soup and the sandwich and the beer.  His body was hard and firm.

Ennis tried to pull away.  “Not here, people can see us.”

Tom fixed those blue eyes on him.  “Ennis Del Mar, the Lord sees us everywhere.”

Then Tom took his hand and led Ennis back inside the trailer.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 11:59:54 am by marlb42 »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #758 on: March 18, 2007, 02:20:04 pm »
Oh Marl .. that was awesome!  I love the story you are building there, drabble by drabble!  ;)

"Faith, hope and charity", said the old man, "and the greatest of these is charity" was all that Ennis really caught from what the old man was saying.... something about 'corinthians', - wasn't that leather?

TH, that made me smile!  Thank you for that!  :)

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
« Reply #759 on: March 18, 2007, 02:40:08 pm »
TH, that made me smile!  Thank you for that!  :)

Yeah...  Trust Ennis to think leather!...  -grin...
I know you think I know that you know what you think I said.
Know you what you think I know you know is not what I meant?