Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183365 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1090 on: April 18, 2007, 03:47:06 pm »
June 1988

That evening after splitting a large pizza at Ole's Pizza & Spaghetti House the pair made their way back to Lightning Flat, Ennis's old pickup piled hi with lumber, house paint, fencing, feed  towing a brand new Featherlite two horse trailer with Perry's Trailer Sales placard in the license plate pocket. "Gonna want ya ta have grandma's horses...you'll need ta have the trailer ta take them home." Bobby had said. Neither had yet spoke it, each knew where they would go this summer needing both the horses and trailer.

I think Jack is looking down at them from where ever he is, smiling...

That was very good Marc, thanks.  :)

[/i]

Oh Shit!

July 1978

“Well, maybe a good place to ‘interrupt’ me would’ve been after I told you that I’m pregnant with OUR child!”  She exited the truck and slammed the door.

Double shit!

:laugh:

Well, that shut them both up i guess (thinking or yapping) ...

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1091 on: April 18, 2007, 04:51:06 pm »
Jack Fuckin Twist. That fool had done it again. Ennis felt foolish and silly hisself. He never had eaten peanuts this way before, not even when he was a kid. But Jack made him do it. Made him balance on the log he was sitting on, see-sawing until he finally fell backwards in attempt to catch another peanut with his mouth. Ennis laughed and laughed and finally gasped for breath.
Before he could compose hisself again, Jack was above him, pinning him down, eyes shining, smile not bright, but warm and genuine. The laughter was gone, he brushed a strand of hair from Jack's forehead, locking eyes with his mate. Maybe the whiskey had something to do with it, maybe it was his own foolishness. Either way, it just slipped out: "Yer beautiful."

(134 words)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1092 on: April 18, 2007, 05:07:01 pm »
June 1988

That evening after splitting a large pizza at Ole's Pizza & Spaghetti House the pair made their way back to Lightning Flat, Ennis's old pickup piled hi with lumber, house paint, fencing, feed  towing a brand new Featherlite two horse trailer with Perry's Trailer Sales placard in the license plate pocket. "Gonna want ya ta have grandma's horses...you'll need ta have the trailer ta take them home." Bobby had said. Neither had yet spoke it, each knew where they would go this summer needing both the horses and trailer.

Lovely...
Thanks Mark!

Before he could compose hisself again, Jack was above him, pinning him down, eyes shining, smile not bright, but warm and genuine. The laughter was gone, he brushed a strand of hair from Jack's forehead, locking eyes with his mate. Maybe the whiskey had something to do with it, maybe it was his own foolishness. Either way, it just slipped out: "Yer beautiful."
(134 words)

Drunk on peanuts, whiskey and love!  Ahh.. so sweet, C!

Cheers drabblers!  8)
~M

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1093 on: April 18, 2007, 05:15:20 pm »
    " Well girls what would you like to do today?"  Ennis asked his girls, as they drove away from
Alma and Monroes little house in town.  "You  could take us to that carnival in town if you would like daddy "Jenny said while smiling hopefully.  "Can we daddy can we, "Jr said calmly "only if you want to do it too daddy."
     "Well sure girls, if it don't cost too much."  Ennis said, quickly calculating his money he had allowed for the outing.  "Lets check it out anyhow."  He said, after figuring he could probably do it
if the rides, and food didn't cost too dearly.
     When Ennis and the girls got to the carnival.  They discovered the first thing that was a real draw to them, was the ferris wheel, and tilt a whirl.  They kind of made the girls giddy with anticipation, but Ennis automatically thought of Jack.  The time up on Brokeback, when he was actin all crazy, and pretendin to ride that bull.  Wavin his hat in the air, and falling on his backside, when he got too far off balance.  The whole idea made Ennis laugh out loud, and smile real big.
Something he hadn't done, since Jack was gone.  He thought of the other things, they had spent so much time with, in their short summer of discovery.  The bridge, where he had to pick up the food ,each week..specially the week he ran onto that bear...When he got back to camp, was the first time Jack had ever touched Ennis.  That was the first time he had felt that deep shock of lectricity.  It went right through his skin and down his body...At the time, he wasn't sure why.  All he knew was, he had to get that rag from Jack, or he would maybe just fry, right there on that spot.!! 
    The girls next wanted to buy some hotdogs, and peanuts. They all had a good laugh, and giggle over the fun, they were all having.  As the day grew later and they had ridden all the things they wanted to ride for the second time around...Ennis said "well little darlins, I guess we ought to be
heading on back.  Your mama wanted you home pretty early.  Cause you got school tomorrow."
    As he dropped them off, and put the truck in gear, after all the goodbyes, and I love yous and thank you soo muches.
See you in two weeks.  He thougt, back on the day..."Its a priceless time, no matter how much it cost.  I got to be with my girls, and have lovin thoughts of Jack.. All at the same time."

way over,sorry
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:36:25 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1094 on: April 18, 2007, 05:32:04 pm »
(Oh no, here I go again...)

Voices

(August 1985)
Ennis was out driving with Tom again.  “No surprises this time, I promise” Tom said.  It was another beautiful summer day.  It was warm, but crisp, with the sun shining brightly.
“Hey, where we goin’?” Ennis asked.

“You’ll see” Tom said but he would say no more.

They drove for quite a while.  There were few other cars on the road.  They didn’t talk much.  Ennis liked it that way.  They passed a small river and drove over the small bridge.  “Ya know, there are these bridges that open up, to let big boats underneath.  I couldn’t believe it first time I saw one.  It just opened up like two big arms.”

“Oh yeah” Ennis said, but he wasn’t really listening.

“Yeah, I was on one, in Missouri, a long time ago.  I was with my friend, he laughed at me.  He said ‘you really never was on a drawbridge before?’ and he laughed like crazy.   I thought I was bad, but you’re like a baby, didn’t ya ever want to leave here, see the world?”

Ennis looked at him, but he didn’t answer.  He opened the window and felt the breeze blowing on his face.  “Maybe we oughta go someplace, ya know, we oughta go some place.  How ‘bout Mexico?” Tom asked.

Ennis let out a loud gasp.  “You okay?” Tom asked.

“Can ya stop?" Ennis asked.  Tom stopped the truck and Ennis got out and began walking away.  He began walking towards a cluster of trees.  Beyond them he saw a small stream.  He walked over and splashed the cool water on his hot face.  Tom saying that, Mexico, it all came rushing back to him.  Suddenly, he heard a voice saying “your going to go there? With him?”   Ennis heard it as clear as day.  His heart started pounding in his chest.

“There you are” Tom said.  Ennis's heart jumped beyond him.  Tom was now right next to him, eating a bag of peanuts, a big smile on his face.

“I scared you didn’t I? The look on your face is priceless, you look like ya just seen a ghost”  Tom said and laughed.

Ennis leaned over and splashed more water on his face.  There was nothing that he could say to that.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1095 on: April 18, 2007, 06:14:43 pm »

.  .  . Neither had yet spoke it, each knew where they would go this summer needing both the horses and trailer. 

This just keeps getting better and better, Mark.  Fabienne is right - Jack is definitely looking down with one of his patented "Jack" smiles.  :)

Hiya folks!  My dabble ..
I am in a bit of a silly mood.  Guess this reflects that .. 
Pardon the title ...    :P

Oh Shit!

July 1978

She was still yapping away when he fired up the engine and started in the direction of home.  Jesus H., the woman had a mouth on her; boy, did she ever talk a blue streak.  If her mouth were a faucet, he was certain that entire continents would be flooded by now.   .  .  .

Can't think of a better title, Milli!   :laugh:  If that's not an "oh shit" moment, I don't know what is.  God, that's funny - haven't we all come across a LaShawn?  I have two neighbors who are LaShawns - I can't begin to describe what it's like when they're together!   :laugh:

.  .  . Either way, it just slipped out: "Yer beautiful." 

Ahh ... unguarded moments can be the best moments.  Beautiful, Chrissi  :)

.  .  . He thougt, back on the day..."Its a priceless time, no matter how much it cost.  I got to be with my girls, and have lovin thoughts of Jack.. All at the same time."   

JANICE!!  I'm so happy to see you and your drabble.  That was wonderful - priceless is exactly right. 

Voices
.  . .  “Maybe we oughta go someplace, ya know, we oughta go some place.  How ‘bout Mexico?” Tom asked. 

Oh, my . . . of all the places in the world to mention.  I didn't see that coming, Marl!

Thanks for the great drabble day,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1096 on: April 18, 2007, 06:18:39 pm »

This story is getting more and more interesting Cameron...
 Thanks for writing it .....janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1097 on: April 18, 2007, 06:36:35 pm »
Suddenly, he heard a voice saying “your going to go there? With him?”   Ennis heard it as clear as day.  His heart started pounding in his chest.

Aww.. :-\

What Janice said!  Cheers Marl.  :)

Can't think of a better title, Milli!   :laugh:  If that's not an "oh shit" moment, I don't know what is.  God, that's funny - haven't we all come across a LaShawn?  I have two neighbors who are LaShawns - I can't begin to describe what it's like when they're together!   :laugh:

Marie

LOL, Marie..I know a LaShawn who is a guy.  Dang, there are times I wish I could pay him anything just to make him stop talking for a while!  ;D

~M

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1098 on: April 18, 2007, 08:17:10 pm »
Wonderful drabbles today, drabblers!!!

M, I was thinking LaShaun needed to be here too. That was great!

Chrissie, I really enjoy all your drabbles!!

Janice, I am so glad to see you back here, great drabble too.

Mark, Always glad for yours.

M, Marie and Janice,

Thank you so, so very much. I hope you know how much it means to me.
  :-*
Marl

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1099 on: April 18, 2007, 09:14:34 pm »
My boss called,” he announced.
And he wants me to go out to the ranch.”
Reminding her to bring home round steak, he hurried off.
In an embarrassing moment, Alma Junior nudged a jar. Peanuts were scattered
Everywhere.

(The first letters add up to “priceless.”)

What she said!  :D
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air