Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1184502 times)

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1240 on: May 09, 2007, 12:12:51 am »
Evenin', again.  Here's some more...a little more timely. Hope ya don't mind that it runs over a bit...actually way over... do have a tendency to ramble on sometimes, have found out that once they start talking they have a lot to say! Will try to put some reins on the next one. :)

Circle JE Ranch, April 1995

“What’s fer breakfast?” Ennis asked, leaning into the Frigidaire.

Enjoying the view provided by flannel pajamas clinging to a firm ass, Jack replied, “Whatever ya want, so long as it’s in the house. Not going out in the cold, nice ‘n warm in here.”

“Anythin'?” Ennis looked over his shoulder at Jack with a smile and one raised eyebrow.

“Almost. Gotta do something about that one track mind a yers. Not that I’m complainin’ none, just so’s ya know.”  Jack stifled another yawn.

“Stop that, ‘r ya’ll get me ta doin’ it too, it’s catchin’.”

“Think I may be catchin’ somethin’ maself, gotta sore throat.”

“Ya not ok?” Ennis came over and checked Jack’s forehead, cupped his cheek with the palm of his hand. “Yer forehead’s not warm, yer ears ain’t red, but yer cheeks look a little flush.”

“That’s from yer early mornin’ exercise.” Jack turned his head slightly and kissed that palm.

“Glad ta see I c’n still put some color in those cheeks a your’n. Just suck on one a them throat pills, the imported ones, that should do it. Don’t need ‘nother doctor bill right now.” Ennis patted Jack's cheek and headed back to forage in the fridge.

“Ya mean the Reecolaaah ones? They’s American with a Swiss name, dumbass. It’s called marketin’, think it’ll sell more with a strange name. Ya got a foreign foods fetish goin’ on this mornin’?”

“Thought marketin’ was what we did on Saturdays at the Safeway,” came a muffled reply.

“Dif’rent kind.”

“Humpf. Say, where’s Shep?” Ennis reached into the back of the second shelf, pushing aside the pickles and what was once half an apple. 

“Outside already, mindin’ his business.”

“Speakin’ a business, what’re ya doing today, b’sides not tellin’ me what’s for breakfast?’

“Plannin’ Commission meetin’.  Some suits from Denver gonna come up and tell us that what’s good fer them and the old Franklin ranch is good fer us, and we should be thankin’ ‘em for wantin’ ta do that fer us, and ta show our thanks we should be amendin’ the General Plan ta accommodate their big plans. All flash and dash. Think we’re a buncha hicks, makes me mad. ‘S if we hadn’t already figgered out years ago fer ourselves the way things oughtta be. Took a lotta time and arm twistin’ ta put all that tagether, and they waltz in ‘n want us to bow down and change it on their say-so, be damned if’n I‘ll do that.” Jack stopped, to take a breath and down a gulp of coffee.

‘That’s my man,’ Ennis thought with a smile, ‘once he gets started ta talkin’ ya cain’t shut him up.’

“Well, ya can handle ‘em, Mr. Commissioner, just like ya did old LD and all them others, includin’ me. Sure am glad a that.”

Jack felt warm all over from the love that went with those words. ‘Ennis fuckin’ Del Mar. Ya did it again, sayin’ ya love me without even knowin’ it. How I love ya, ya dumbass!' he chuckled to himself, shaking his head slowly, thinking about so many things. 

And then he put down his cup and headed over to save his man from sure starvation. 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1241 on: May 09, 2007, 08:15:40 am »
. . . .

‘Nothin' like a good cup a joe first thing in the mornin'.  Well, second best thing, anyway, next to wakin' up tangled in Ennis’ arms and legs. Well, third best thing, anyway, next to wakin' up with Ennis strokin' me and whisperin' inta my ear, and slowly…’  . . . .

. . . .
Jack felt warm all over from the love that went with those words. ‘Ennis fuckin’ Del Mar. Ya did it again, sayin’ ya love me without even knowin’ it. How I love ya, ya dumbass!' he chuckled to himself, shaking his head slowly, thinking about so many things. 

And then he put down his cup and headed over to save his man from sure starvation. 

Hey, cwby - these were just great!  So very Jack and Ennis - and I love when drabbles put a big goofy grin on my face!  ;D

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1242 on: May 09, 2007, 11:02:27 am »
July 1988

Last of the breakfast dishes and cookware sparkling clean, set out to dry, silence follows the clinks, splashes of their labors, both satisfied from the morning meal. "Reckon....reckon it's time.....Huh?" Ennis looked intently at Bobby. Without speaking he nods a reply. Ennis squeezes Bobby's shoulders as the two men rise, each gathering what they need from their packs. Following wordlessly as Ennis leads the way to the appointed spot, Bobby awed by the beauty of the mountain weighted by his fathers spirit.  Standing side by side, each open a container, then gently tipping it, a gust of wind echoing through the surrounding trees claim the contents, now and forever to be part of Brokeback.

Fiercley locked arm an arm, tears streaming shamelessly down their checks, both men look on, thoughts on the man each loved so much, Ennis turned  to Bobby tilted his head toward where the ashes lay, nodded. Bobby looked back at him met his gaze, then looked at the ground and back at Ennis, nodded back. Promise sealed.

After a long while Bobby, arm around Ennis spoke. "Pop...Pop...he really loved you.....comin' all the way...up ta see...."

Ennis looked down..."Ah....Ah ....loved him too....more 'n anyone.......never got ta tell....don't know...if....."

"He...he  knew.....he always knew...."

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 05:11:00 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1243 on: May 09, 2007, 12:44:34 pm »
July 1988

. . .  Following wordlessly as Ennis leads the way to the appointed spot, Bobby awed by the beauty of the mountain weighted by his fathers spirit.  Standing side by side, each open a container, then gently tipping it, a gust of wind echoing through the surrounding trees claim the contents, now and forever to be part of Brokeback.   . . . .

Wow, Mark - that is some damn fine writing, bud.  How fitting that Bobby and Ennis share this moment.  And, yeah, Ennis, he knew.   

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1244 on: May 09, 2007, 12:46:29 pm »
I'll throw some prompts out -

• stand your ground
  • speak your mind
  • bitter

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1245 on: May 09, 2007, 01:31:50 pm »
July 1988

Fiercley locked arm an arm, tears streaming shamelessly down their checks, both men look on, thoughts on the man each loved so much, Ennis turned  to Bobby tilted his toward the ground, nodded. Bobby looked back at him met his gaze, then looked at the ground and back at Ennis, nodded back. Promise sealed.

After a long while Bobby, arm around Ennis spoke. "Pop...Pop...he really loved you.....comin' all the way...up ta see...."

Ennis looked down..."Ah....Ah ....loved him too....more 'n anyone.......never got ta tell....don't know...if....."

"He...he  knew.....he always knew...."

:'(

But I'm glad Bobby and Ennis were able to share this experience. Thank you Mark.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1246 on: May 09, 2007, 01:42:50 pm »
Mornin', jp:

He always knew...  Jack told Ennis he wished he knew how to quit him...which was an admission that he loved Ennis, even though to him Ennis didn't seem to love him back the same.  But, he knew Ennis and knew Ennis loved him, too, and could never quit him.

Glad Ennis has Bobby to talk to and share this with, and Bobby has the spirit and acceptance to be there with him and share his own feelings and knowledge with him. 

Thanks again. 

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1247 on: May 09, 2007, 05:16:05 pm »
I went over the limit, but here is my dabble ... :)

Like All Those Years Ago…

Ennis chased the blue, plastic pail as it bobbed up and down in the fast-flowing river, half-buried in the current.   He was mumbling to himself when he finally snatched the bucket from the water before it was swept downstream.  Jack had stormed off to the tent, clearly annoyed after their little exchange of words.  Ennis stooped down and gathered the enamel dishes he had just rinsed out.  He dumped them into the bucket and sat down heavily on the damp log by the river bed.  He knew that he’d upset Jack with what he’d said earlier but, he needed to speak his mind.  Did Jack really think that everything would be sweet as honey if he packed up and moved to Texas?  What would change?  They’d still have to hide and sneak around to be together.  What about the girls?  Even if he was entertaining the idea of relocating to Texas, he couldn’t leave his girls behind in Riverton.  Sure he was divorced and single but Jack was still married.  What about Lureen and Bobby? Why couldn’t Jack see that things weren’t as simple as he thought?  It just wouldn’t make any difference no matter where they lived…There’d still be one problem – they would still be queer.   

Ennis sighed and looked in the direction of the tent.  He wrung his hands anxiously, lost in his thoughts.  His mind wandered back to another night almost like this one, all those years ago, when he’d sat alone by the fire, stalling, and thinking of the words to tell Jack that he wanted him – his friendship, his comfort, his body.  He hadn’t found the words then, but Jack had read the anxiety and uncertainty in his eyes like they were words written in big, bold letters on his forehead.  Only Jack could do that. He had never met another who could see through him like he was made of glass, or hold him tight like he would come apart at the seams.  Only Jack could do that…

Before Ennis knew it, he was walking towards the tent, his hat in hand; a simple gesture to beg for forgiveness and make everything right again …just like he’d done that night.  Jack was lying on the bedroll, his back to the tent flap.  Ennis dropped his hat on the ground and lay down next to him.  He snuggled in close and threw an arm around Jack’s waist.  Jack lay still.  Ennis pressed a soft kiss on the side of his neck, and then another…Jack turned around to face him; he shifted closer until their faces were only a few inches apart.   He looked into those brown eyes quietly and without saying a word, he brought his hand up to Ennis’ face and caressed the smooth cheek.  The angry and bitter feelings he felt had vanished, washed away by the overwhelming, desperate need he had for the man who laid beside him.  He kissed Ennis’ lips, tender and slow; wooing him, soothing him, and loving him like he’d done on that first night.. all those years ago…

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:34:58 pm by Lucise »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1248 on: May 09, 2007, 05:31:50 pm »
GOOD JOB Lucise!!!!!!!
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1249 on: May 09, 2007, 06:16:24 pm »

Lucise, that was wonderful...It gave a full ending to one of the most startling and awful scenes, from the movie.  That is and has always been my most disturbing feeling, leaving that scene...It seemed so out of place, and unnerving.  It left you feeling they were just losing the love....Even the lake scene, "I wish i knew how to quit you."  Let you know they cared too much,...so thank you for this,,,thank you very much...for your talents.....janice

Beautiful mind