Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1207882 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1690 on: July 05, 2007, 08:37:50 pm »
Aww, thank you Merrily, I am so glad you liked my story. :D

M....

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1691 on: July 05, 2007, 09:11:21 pm »
                           Germ of an idea

She sat in the library.  Thinking the strange feelings and thoughts she
had had the night before.  That lonesome cowboy.  Her mind traversed the lure of him again.  Was he a friend of those young men?  Did he wish to join the group, but was too shy to risk rejection.  Had he been called by another name, or remembering some long ago time?  Had he lost someone dear and long ago, or was it a love he wished to recall?  How many years since he was young and vital, alive and happy?  Or was he forever one of the lonely souls?
100 wds

So glad you continued this, Janice. "Or was he forever one of the lonely souls?"  That is beautiful writing - heartbreaking - but beautiful.  (And 100 words!)  I loved your comment about "if that's not fed up.." - you've got a great way with words.   :)

. . . .Ennis felt his heart jump.  “Hey, you in there?”  Ennis sat up on the bed, not knowing if the pounding was at the door or in his head.  “Hey, you in there?  You gotta be, open the door, gotta talk to ya.”

Ennis slowly walked to the door……

Oh, Marl - now what?  Bill Jensen?  You've got me hanging off a couple of cliffs! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1692 on: July 05, 2007, 09:39:44 pm »

here Merrily is the linc to that pot story:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7810.120.html

its #6 on the page.  no name...

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1693 on: July 05, 2007, 11:01:59 pm »

Hit me directly in the heart. Makes me feel sad for Ennis. If only, if only....

Thank you Penthesilea, made me tear up too.

You set that up so perfectly, Clyde.  Very, very nicely done. 

Thank you Marie, now if I could only figure out what I did, so I could do it again!  :-\

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1694 on: July 05, 2007, 11:05:17 pm »
A Good Day

The partygoers watched in stunned silence as L.D. let out a high-pitched squeal and pranced to and fro, waving his hat in the air. 

Jack felt the laughter bubble in his chest and his eyes met Lureen's in a moment of complicity, both of them turning their laughter into coughs as they turned away. 

Best Fourth of July he'd had in a long while. 

~~~~~~~
115 words

Stick it to him Marie!   :laugh:

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1695 on: July 05, 2007, 11:13:09 pm »

He stood that way for quite some time, watched the boys playin pooll   One of the ladies in the corner was writing something down on a pad. she looked up now and then watched the guys in   back, and got an odd look on her face as she watched him standing there.  He shrugged it off but it made him feel kinda uncomfortable. In a rather disturbing, but still unfearful way.  Like she was seeing him in some oddly different kind of way. Like he might be one of them zoo animals he had heard tell of.

Wonder if you find carved into the top of that table with a sharp pencil: 'A.P. wuz here?'

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1696 on: July 05, 2007, 11:15:13 pm »
Childress, Texas June 1989 [Part 3]

"What?" they said in unison.

He smiled at that. After all these years together he and Ennis often acted as one.  They finished each other's sentences; they knew when a kiss or the touch of a hand would soothe the other's troubled thoughts; they fixed each other's favorite meals; they divided up chores with a nod of the head. And they could communicate encyclopedias of thoughts in their glances. 'God, how I love him! Thanks for answerin' my prayers.'

"We're getting ready for the parents' dance, and want you on the dance floor with us."

"Together? I don't know, son. Is the Childress Hunt Club ready for that?"

"Jack..."

"Ennis..."

"Dad, Pop... how about one at a time, with my bride?"

"Okay, I'll go with the flow. How 'bout you?"

"Yeah, me too. So long as you save the last dance for me."

"Wouldn't have it any other way, cowboy."

They brushed lips, untwined, and hand in hand followed the other happy couple towards the bright lights of the Club. 

I'd pay money to see that dance!!!!  ;D

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1697 on: July 05, 2007, 11:30:43 pm »
    ‘Riverton Library Public Cooling Center.’  Ennis felt out of place here.  He liked the quiet, the solitude, even the musty smell and it was more comfortable than the hundred degrees in his trailer, but books weren’t his friend.  Reading was just a blur, even when he could make out the words he wasn’t always sure what they meant. 
     Room after room, shelf after shelf, book after book, more words than he’d spoke his whole life. 
    The combined wisdom of mankind, he’d heard; Words are power his momma had told him, but where were the words that would bring back Jack?

100 words

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1698 on: July 06, 2007, 12:42:17 am »
Janice I still can't find it.  Maybe I am just missing it.  Can you tell me the date it was done?  That might help.

Thanks.

Merrily

I remember that one...was laughing so hard, sprayed water all over my keyboard.   ;) 
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1699 on: July 06, 2007, 01:15:33 am »

Visit

“Awake?” 

“No.”

“Got the kids comin’ soon…and they bringin’ the heathens with ‘em.”

“I know.  Just that…”

“Whut?”

“Like what we got right here.  Too damn comfortable.  The solitude…don’t want nothin’ else right now.” 

“Maybe we can get Junior to take the little ones to the library this afternoon for that reading program they got.”

“How you know ‘bout that?”

“Checked into it last week.”

“You gettin’ so damn organized.  Don’t have to get up yet.  Got another good half hour…at least.” 

“You figure you gonna last that long?”

“You mighty cocky.”

“I’ll show you cocky.”

“That was my plan.”

100 Words
~~~~~~~     
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:22:23 am by haunted_by_bbm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx