Author Topic: Is Anyone Else Sick of "American Idol"?  (Read 8322 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick of "American Idol"?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 07:32:59 pm »
It shows how much news organizations feel they must dumb things down in order to interest the public, that's for sure.

But it's no less rediculous than Anna Nicole Smith's death being front-page news! Nothing personal against her. But she's not a scholar, scientist, teacher, inventor, author or politician — she's a person whose life has not affected our reality in any way. So WTF is that story doing on the top of the wires?

In one word, Laura - celebrity.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline UntamedFriesian

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 07:41:40 pm »
American Idol -- I've never watched it but I am sick of all the media attention it gets.  What's worse is the local radio station here thinks it's really fantastic to play bits of the worst "performers" every morning after the show airs, what a waste of air time when they could be playing decent music.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 07:45:43 pm »
It shows how much news organizations feel they must dumb things down in order to interest the public, that's for sure.

But it's no less rediculous than Anna Nicole Smith's death being front-page news! Nothing personal against her. But she's not a scholar, scientist, teacher, inventor, author or politician — she's a person whose life has not affected our reality in any way. So WTF is that story doing on the top of the wires?

I was thinking the same thing earlier.  Can you imagine the tens of thousand of people that died today also.?  I bet there was allot of outstanding people who passed today that the world will never know.  It's so sad the way things work.

I have nothing against Anna Nichol.   I have felt really sad for her lately. But I think most of her life was tragic in allot of ways.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 07:47:04 pm »
Oh and to answer the original question.  Sick of American Idol?  Hell No!  I love it!
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 02:09:19 am »
"American Idol" is broadcasted in the UK and Ireland on ITV on Saturday afternoon at lunchtime, so it happens that I watch it while eating.
I just don't get how some people can go there really sure to be good... I mean, they suck! Didn't their relatives and friends tell them not to go there and make a fool of themselves??

There are also those who are really good though, but the others...... O MY GOD, as Chandler would say..... lol 

This is what I mean by contrived and controlled.  What you see on Idol are the very talented people and the wierdo no-talent boobs.  The latter are strictly for the laugh and drama factor.  You don't see the hundreds if not thousands of just 'ok' or 'average' people who sing well, but not great.  You just see the extremes.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 08:07:28 pm »
In answer to the original question:  Totally.

But then I never was much of a fan of "reality" shows.  I find the competition-type shows particularly appalling.

No more beans!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 08:13:39 pm »
I find the competition-type shows particularly appalling.

Why, ednbarby?  (Not that I'm debating, I'm just interested to know your thoughts.)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 10:12:56 am »
Why, ednbarby?  (Not that I'm debating, I'm just interested to know your thoughts.)

Mostly because I think they encourage (no - I know they encourage) the contestants to be unethical.  To form "alliances" and back-stab and manipulate and lie.  You know, kinda like in real life.  ;)

But actually it isn't quite like real life because everyone in real life isn't slim and attractive and a movie or TV star wannabe.

I can't stand American Idol because A.) I don't think the truly best singer has ever won (i.e., I think it's fixed) and B.) I don't like how they only pick the top and bottom 10% of all the singers to showcase/make fun of.  I'm sure there are some interesting ones in the top 20%.  I'd rather see them than see the worst of them shamelessly ridiculed.
No more beans!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 03:34:48 pm »
Mostly because I think they encourage the contestants to be unethical.  To form "alliances" and back-stab and manipulate and lie.

Yeah, I never watch group competition shows (Amazing Race or whatever) because they seem so stupid, and also glorify the lowest common denominator.

American Idol is the only reality show I've ever followed.  And I do have a bit of a weakness for it!  As a longtime musician, there's a fascination with the audition process.  And I must say, IMO the world needs more Simons — someone to tell folks when they really suck, and hold them to a higher standard.
(Of course 'standard' is a relative term: what's in vogue now for R+B is that melismatic, AAEEEAAIIIOOIIAAAOHHH style in which you bend every note into 150 teeny tiny pitches . . . bleh.)

OTOH, I think coverage of it on other media is completely out of hand. When I watch the news I want news. 'Nuff said.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 03:49:37 pm »
Yeah, I never watch group competition shows (Amazing Race or whatever) because they seem so stupid, and also glorify the lowest common denominator.

American Idol is the only reality show I've ever followed.  And I do have a bit of a weakness for it!  As a longtime musician, there's a fascination with the audition process.  And I must say, IMO the world needs more Simons — someone to tell folks when they really suck, and hold them to a higher standard.
(Of course 'standard' is a relative term: what's in vogue now for R+B is that melismatic, AAEEEAAIIIOOIIAAAOHHH style in which you bend every note into 150 teeny tiny pitches . . . bleh.)

OTOH, I think coverage of it on other media is completely out of hand. When I watch the news I want news. 'Nuff said.

Excellent point Laura! I watched the first season of AI and quickly gave up on it. It just doesn't appeal to me. I think what really annoys me is the constant saturation of AI in the media. For those of us who choose NOT to watch it, we're STILL forced to watch it (or at least hear about it every 5 minutes) on CNN and MSNBC. It's ridiculous. There are so many other things the media could cover besides  the latest scandal on AI.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.