Author Topic: So many subliminal messages, so little time...  (Read 7994 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
So many subliminal messages, so little time...
« on: February 02, 2007, 11:54:34 pm »
Tonight, I noticed something new.  Again.  I noticed that that first house Ennis and Alma have on that "lonesome old ranch" is blue with a black roof.  Was Ennis drawn to this house for this reason?  Or was it configured differently when he found it, and he painted it that way?  Either way - wow.

No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: So many subliminal messages, so little time...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:53:48 pm »
Tonight, I noticed something new.  Again.  I noticed that that first house Ennis and Alma have on that "lonesome old ranch" is blue with a black roof.  Was Ennis drawn to this house for this reason?  Or was it configured differently when he found it, and he painted it that way?  Either way - wow.

Ooooh, I like it.  :o  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 05:04:06 pm »
I would like to see a screen cap of this!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 06:09:07 pm »
I would like to see a screen cap of this!!

Your wish is my command. Or at least I tried, but I'm not sure if I got the correct pics, since I'm not sure what Barb is getting at.

Barb: This is the first house Ennis and Alma life in, the "lonseome old ranch". But it's not blue and its roof is not black.  ???

We see a somewhat bluish/greyish building (a barn/shed?)  with a black/anthracite roof in the background when Ennis unloads the horse(s):

Did I think of the correct scenes? Or did you mean something different?

(BTW and a little ot here: I just LOVE Ennis in this scene. With the horses, I mean. He's sweet with Alma, too and I adore him with his girls - but the short piece with the horse somehow does it to me *sigh*)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 06:17:18 pm »
Not OT at all--you're right he is so loving with his horses.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 06:35:17 pm »
There's that radio that pre-introduces us to Monroe.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 09:42:31 pm »
You have the right house, Pen.  I'll tell you what.  On my "Collector's Edition" DVD, that house is *no kidding blue* with a black roof.  I wondered if I was just seeing things when I watched it last night, so I just watched it again.  Maybe it's the eff'ed up color on my TV or maybe they actually changed it since the original (I notice they fixed something else - where it always used to sound to me like Heath was saying "See you Sundays, ladies" right before he goes off "fishing" with Jack, the "s" at the end of Sunday is gone now), but it's definitely a light slate blue and that roof is (or at least appears to be) black as night.

Or maybe I'm just still seeing things.  ;)
No more beans!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 05:15:46 pm »
There's that radio that pre-introduces us to Monroe.

I never noticed this before. I re-watched the scene. I can't fully get what is said on the radio. But apparently it's an advertisement. It's something like "....you remember the next time you go shopping.....shopping cart...."
That's all I can understand.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 05:25:45 pm »
You have the right house, Pen.  I'll tell you what.  On my "Collector's Edition" DVD, that house is *no kidding blue* with a black roof.  I wondered if I was just seeing things when I watched it last night, so I just watched it again.  Maybe it's the eff'ed up color on my TV or maybe they actually changed it since the original (I notice they fixed something else - where it always used to sound to me like Heath was saying "See you Sundays, ladies" right before he goes off "fishing" with Jack, the "s" at the end of Sunday is gone now), but it's definitely a light slate blue and that roof is (or at least appears to be) black as night.

Or maybe I'm just still seeing things.  ;)

I guess it depends on the settings of your TV. Like the much discussed darkness/brightness of TS1 and TS2. Remember that discussions last year, when the DVD came out  ;D? I can't believe it's *that* long ago. And yet, here we are, still... and no intention to let go....  :D

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 01:31:26 am »
(I notice they fixed something else - where it always used to sound to me like Heath was saying "See you Sundays, ladies" right before he goes off "fishing" with Jack, the "s" at the end of Sunday is gone now)

Thank you! I've never been able to figure out if he says "See you Sunday, ladies" or "See you Sunday, [at the] latest."

And BTW, what is that line Ennis says at the very end of the movie?  :laugh: :laugh: Kidding.

If they can fix things for the DVD, I wish they'd fix the "guhls" in the grocery-store scene!  ::)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 12:58:01 pm »
Thank you! I've never been able to figure out if he says "See you Sunday, ladies" or "See you Sunday, [at the] latest."

I think he says, "See you Sunday, ladies."  But we went around the block on that one somewhere, somewhen, and most (all?) others who weighed in think he says, "See you Sunday, latest."

Barb, are you really, really sure they adjusted the sound on that?  My question is really, are we really, really sure they made any changes at all, of any kind, to the film for the collector's edition?  Did they hide the mike cord on Alma Jr?  Seems like that would be one of the few things that would really be fixed first, if they were tweaking things.

If there are changes that got made, even minute ones, then I am intrigued, and would buy it to see what Ang (or who?) thought was important enough to change.  But are we really, really sure there are changes?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 01:19:10 pm »
I'm as sure as I can be without written proof.

And I think the mic on Alma, Jr., is hidden in this version, too.

Gee, I guess I'll just have to watch it again to be really, really sure.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 04:20:39 am »
I'm as sure as I can be without written proof.

And I think the mic on Alma, Jr., is hidden in this version, too.

Gee, I guess I'll just have to watch it again to be really, really sure.   ;D

I guess you better. :) 

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 11:49:56 am »
I guess you better. :) 
You girls are really, really funny!  :laugh:

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 06:57:16 pm »
I bought the new editon already buy I can't watch it yet because I need to buy a new tv to be able to watch dvd's

Is I'm sorry, its alright, its alright any clearer if there really is any difference in the new addition at all?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 10:35:12 am »
I don't know that it's any clearer than the old DVD, but it does seem very clear to me on this one.  And it's all Jake/Jack.  He says "I'm sorry."  Then he also says, "S'all right, s'all right."  Then, "Lie back."  It is taking all of Ennis' courage just to be there, so it makes perfect sense that he wouldn't say a word.  I always wished he'd said, "I'm sorry" to apologize for being so cold that morning and earlier that evening, but it is Jack saying it, perhaps apologizing for so aggressively coming on to him the night before.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 10:55:03 am »
That's what I always thought since the first time I saw it. I heard Jack say, "I'm sorry." And maybe it doesn't make much sense, but it's what I heard. I always thought he was saying, "I'm sorry...because I'm goin to turn your life upside down now."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 11:04:48 am »
I always thought he was saying, "I'm sorry...because I'm goin to turn your life upside down now."

Good point, Lee! Maybe it's foreshadowing. "I'm sorry, but I've just launched a 20-year journey that will end tragically for both of us."  :'(

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 11:46:25 am »
Good point, Lee! Maybe it's foreshadowing. "I'm sorry, but I've just launched a 20-year journey that will end tragically for both of us."  :'(

I hear Jack saying, "It's alright."  "It's alright, we're launching a new journey of love and happiness.  It's going to be so amazing, for both of us (and I have no idea that it's going to slowly deteriorate into misery, for both of us, over many years)."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 11:51:41 am »
I hear Jack saying, "It's alright."  "It's alright, we're launching a new journey of love and happiness.  It's going to be so amazing, for both of us (and I have no idea that it's going to slowly deteriorate into misery, for both of us, over many years)."

Yes, that sounds more like it.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 01:57:48 pm »
Jack was ever the optimist (well, perhaps until the very end :( ), so that sounds about right to me, too.  I really hear the "I'm sorry" as just meaning for the night before - like "I'm sorry if I scared you or put you in a bad position (so to speak) last night - I just wanted you so much that I couldn't wait any longer."  And it seems that Ennis nods just the tiniest bit right when he says, "I'm sorry" as if, in his own way, to say, "It's all right.  I wanted you, too.  Obviously."

No more beans!