Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Chaplin_fan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Greetings!
« on: April 15, 2006, 06:43:08 pm »
Hi everybody.  I just wanted to introduce myself, as I was just sent this link by a friend, and I'm thrilled to be here among you all.

I am, of course, a HUGE Brokeback Mountain junkie (eight viewings so far: five in the theatre and three on the DVD).

I also want to say, odd as it sounds, that this film and short story have changed my life. I was just reading something in this site that ended with: "The movie may be over, but your new life is just beginning," and my jaw dropped.  I have been telling people for weeks now that I feel like I have come out of a years-long coma.

The first time I saw Brokeback Mountain (in January), it hit me like a Mack truck.  I was almost uncontrollably sobbing in the theatre, and had to wait beyond the end credits before I had composed myself enough to go back out into the real world and face people.  Over the next few weeks, my emotions were very surface.  It was hard to get through work, or to focus on anything at all.  I felt like I was experiencing honest-to-goodness, genuine grief: I was in mourning.  But beyond that, I was affected in a way that I have never been affected by any film (or any other work of art, for that matter), and I couldn't figure it out. If not for the message boards where people shared stories of having been moved in the same way, I would have thought I was losing my mind. It was that powerful, that real. Like a punch in the gut, over and over.  I cried in my car, I cried in the shower, I cried while I was making dinner at home.....It was all overwhelming. Subsequent viewings I found of a healing nature, but the sense of loss, regret (for what, I had yet to figure out), and indescribable longing haunted me mercilessly. I would awake from sleep, in tears, and then spend several minutes (sometimes longer) finding solace in the imdb message boards, because that would give me enough comfort to get back to sleep.
I finally figured out that one reason this amazing film affected me so deeply was that I just wasn't happy with certain choices I'd made in my life, and felt lost as to the direction I was going (mid-life crisis, perhaps?). I'm almost 40 and was feeling very down about myself, my job (I'm one of those overly-educated people, the unfortunates, who works a demeaning, unchallenging job in order to put food on my table, when my real joy is the part-time teaching gig I have in the fall semesters at a local college), and my life in general.  I decided that it was time I make a few changes in my life, just to see what would happen.
So, I began working out more often (four times a week now), I signed up for a creative writing class (which I LOVE and  is making me tap into all kinds of things that lay dormant in me for years), and I have "met" (in quotes because we communicate on-line but have yet to actually meet) a wonderful person in France who lives very close to the town where I lived with a host family when I was in college. My partner and I are going to visit her next year, and she is coming to the States in the fall, through school (she's a teacher), where we will actually meet for the first time.  Additionally, we will set up an e-mail exchange between our students in the fall, which may lead to all kinds of wonderful opportunities for them (friendships, relationships, travel...).  Plus (it just seems to keep getting better) I am now writing a short story centered on fictional students who meet as a result of this real (and future) e-mail exchange, and the journey that that takes them on.  On top of all of these positive life changes and wonderful new adventures I find I am embarking on, my relationship with my partner of eight years has never been better.
I feel more hope for myself and my future than I have probably ever felt, and the catalyst for all of this is Brokeback Mountain.  I wish that I could personally thank Annie, Ang, Heath, Jake, Michelle, Anne and every other person who was involved in the creation of this masterpiece, for bringing this amazing, magnificent story into my life, and helping me achieve a self-awareness and sense of fulfillment that I long-ago stopped believing were even possible.   I have never been so moved, and I will treasure this beautiful film as long as I live.
And now I have found this forum, where I can gush about my beloved Brokeback Mountain to my heart's content, knowing that I won't be derided by trolls, and that you understand.  Thanks for reading; I look forward to our communications.
Peace,
Tom
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 08:03:49 pm by Chaplin_fan »
Homophobia can be cured.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 06:46:12 pm »
Welcome, Tom --

Thanks for that wonderful intro. You are among kindred souls.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 06:56:26 pm »
Yay, a new brokie for our family! Welcome welcome! As we like to say to new folks here, want some coffee don'tcha? Piece a cherry cake?

We're glad you found us. Congratulations on all the wonderful changes this movie has brought about for you. I am also one of the over-educateds working a less-than-desirable job to pay the rent...and am doing what I can to change that (though if anyone out there wants to volunteer to be my time-management coach, I'd take you up on that faster than you can say "Lightning Flat"!)

Again, welcome to Chez Tremblay and BetterMost!

Jenny

p.s. to see one way I reacted to the movie, and wanted to do something about the state of the world, click on the link in my sig line.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 06:58:14 pm »
Tom, I'm glad you found us!  Thanks for sharing your story, which is so similar to many of ours'.  This movie is responsible for triggering a lot of "stuck" emotions in people, and the creativity it has unleashed is astounding.   You seem to be riding the wave beautifully.  :)

What part of the country are you from?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Chaplin_fan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 07:08:56 pm »
Tom, I'm glad you found us!  Thanks for sharing your story, which is so similar to many of ours'.  This movie is responsible for triggering a lot of "stuck" emotions in people, and the creativity it has unleashed is astounding.   You seem to be riding the wave beautifully.  :)

What part of the country are you from?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I live in Syracuse, NY.
Homophobia can be cured.

Offline Chaplin_fan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 07:11:39 pm »
Yay, a new brokie for our family! Welcome welcome! As we like to say to new folks here, want some coffee don'tcha? Piece a cherry cake?

We're glad you found us. Congratulations on all the wonderful changes this movie has brought about for you. I am also one of the over-educateds working a less-than-desirable job to pay the rent...and am doing what I can to change that (though if anyone out there wants to volunteer to be my time-management coach, I'd take you up on that faster than you can say "Lightning Flat"!)

Again, welcome to Chez Tremblay and BetterMost!

Jenny

p.s. to see one way I reacted to the movie, and wanted to do something about the state of the world, click on the link in my sig line.

Wow! That is awesome!  I wish I could meet all of my fellow brokies.  I think we need to have a convention, like the Star Trek people (only we'll bring cowboy hats and Kleenex instead of Vulcan ears).
Homophobia can be cured.

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 07:14:45 pm »
[Like a punch in the gut, over and over.  I cried in my car, I cried in the shower, I cried while I was making dinner at home.....It was all overwhelming. Subsequent viewings I found of a /i]

Welcome Tom!
That was my reaction at first.. like a punch in the gut.  I was numb as I drove home and just laid in bed that night, replaying it over and over.
And then I found the boards.  These people here are wonderful.. You can share all you like and they never make you feel like a loser. (like some friends and family made me feel).

So enjoy these boards and feel free to gush, blush  and anything else you want.

In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

vkm91941

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 07:21:05 pm »
Hey Tom Welcome aboard!  Set a spell, share your thoughts. It's VERY nice to have you join us

Offline Chaplin_fan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 07:29:53 pm »
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome.  You know, I thought my obsession over this film was waning, and then I bought the DVD (after about a month of not being able to see it, beween the time it left my local theatres and the date of the DVD release--which couldn't come fast enough!), and it started all over.

I am absolutely thrilled to have found like-minded people, in this forum. I feel like I just got a big hug from my grandma (and a "piece a cherry cake"). 

By the way,(and forgive my message board naivete), what do I need to do to get the emoticons to work?  I click on them, but instead of the graphic, I just get the text version.  ???
Homophobia can be cured.

Offline Chaplin_fan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 07:30:44 pm »
Oops! Never mind about the emoticons.  Duh. :P
Homophobia can be cured.

Offline Chaplin_fan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 07:44:38 pm »
Oh, and I also must say that the friend of whom I spoke in my original post is also the French woman I mentioned. You all know her, and her name is Isabelle.  Cou cou, Isabelle!
Homophobia can be cured.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 08:24:00 pm »
Welcome to our family Tom!

You are among friends here, no trolls at all!    ;D

Grab a cup of coffee and a piece of Pie, just don't make Cassie cry!     :laugh:

David in Connecticut.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 09:11:21 pm »
Hey Tom-welcome tot he family! So glad you could make!

Ruby
 O0

Heathen

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 10:05:53 pm »
Welcome Tom!   ;D
Glad you joined us here!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 02:24:41 am »
Oh, and I also must say that the friend of whom I spoke in my original post is also the French woman I mentioned. You all know her, and her name is Isabelle.  Cou cou, Isabelle!

Coucou Tom! Arrête (non, n'arrête pas), tu me fais rougir!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"