Author Topic: A Ninth Viewing Observation  (Read 258031 times)

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: A Ninth Viewing Observation
« Reply #350 on: May 18, 2017, 08:10:34 am »
Easy one ;). Because he doesn't know yet, but we do. He's so sad and lonely already and I know the worst thing is yet to come.

And of course it's no coincidence that we see him at a Groundhog station. Ennis, who never goes anywhere except around the coffeepot looking for the handle, is sitting broodily at a place where people go to travel places. Not saying Ennis chose the G. station on purpose, but Ang Lee did.
So the Lake scene with "I can't stand this anymore", plus him being so forlorn plus the fact of the Greyhound station, plus his exchange with Cassie - all these are details that make me believe Ennis is ready (or getting there) for some changes (small baby steps of course).

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #351 on: May 18, 2017, 01:17:47 pm »
Groundhog station

Did I really write that?

*goes back to check*

OMG, I did! Lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love the pic. Now just imagine Ennis in Groundhog Day - nope, I can't. ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #352 on: May 18, 2017, 04:00:19 pm »
"Take the Groundhog Bus and leave the driving to us."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #353 on: May 18, 2017, 08:16:49 pm »
 :laugh: That's not fair!!! Now you totally ruined my tragically melancholic sad day!  :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #354 on: May 19, 2017, 08:40:01 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: That's not fair!!! Now you totally ruined my tragically melancholic sad day!  :laugh:

Well, mine has definitely taken a turn for the better!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #355 on: May 19, 2017, 08:50:40 am »
I just checked on youtube. Ennis says "I can't stand this anymore, Jack."
I think he means their whole situation, not the current fight.
He starts to see the light, so to say, thus the breakup with Cassie. I do believe that movie-Ennis has the potential to change, however small the baby steps might be.

On a side note, it breaks my heart to see Ennis so forlorn at the Greyhound station (of all places!) - and that is even before he gets the postcard about Jack's death.

Agreed on everything, including the Groundhog station.

I think he meant the whole situation when he said that and at some point after the fight decided he had to do something to change it. So he lets his relationship with Cassie slide without so much as a formal breakup. He heads to the Groundhog station, thinking he might burrow his way toward Jack ... just kidding. But yes, I think that's a subtle sign he's thinking about making a move beyond the coffeepot's handle (not that he was going to hop on a bus that specific day, of course, or even that he made that mental connection with the station, but that he was starting to open his mind to the idea a bit).

Side note: Chrissi, I should have figured you are so sharp about all things American you would know, but at first when Paul pointed that out I thought, well, maybe she thinks that's the name. And why shouldn't she? Could I name any German transit companies? Of course not, along with 99.9% of Americans. So although I was laughing so hard -- Paul's illustration especially enhanced it -- I couldn't blame you at all. But again, since it was you I should have known better!

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #356 on: May 19, 2017, 09:04:14 am »

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #357 on: May 26, 2017, 01:49:17 am »
Friends, i don't know where to put this. Let's say this is a new "observation"...

So, i read 2003' screenplay. There is a scene with Jack and Lureen picking up Randall and LaShawn on their way to the dance hall. Randall's truck broke down and he was trying to fix it, but Jack tells him:

".. get in and ride with us, i'll stop and get my pickup, tow you home after the dance. If you can't fix it then, by God, drive off from it - that's my motto."

Whut?? Phew, i'm really glad they left it out! First, that would be too obvious of a reference to Ennis' motto and, second, that would definitely shift the things towards quitting Ennis. I would have not liked that...  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #358 on: May 26, 2017, 10:40:16 am »

:laugh:

Yes, I agree with you BBM_v. . .I'm glad that line didn't make it into the film!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #359 on: January 10, 2018, 03:33:51 am »
Friends,

I don't know whether this is an observation, but .. I just love this thread, so i put it here!

On New Year's Eve i watched "Manchester by the Sea". Anybody else seen that movie? Main character Lee made a stupid mistake in his life which leads him to become some kind of Ennis - living in constant guilt and self-loathing. Just like Ennis he drinks and get into fights to get the punishment he feels he deserves but was deprived of. Just like Ennis he works low-paid, unpleasant job(s). Just like Ennis he cuts himself off from any people / family he has. And there is a scene which struck me of its similarity to BBM - it's when Lee moves into his new apartment in Boston and his brother and nephew accompany him. The conversation goes like this:

Lee's brother: "Let's go get some furniture."
Lee: "I got furniture."
Lee's brother: "No, you don't. This doesn't count as furniture. This is not a room. Let's go get some furniture."
Lee: "Get off my back."
Lee's brother: "Patty. Come on, let's go. Let's go."

Now you already know what i refer to, hunh. And i have mixed feelings about this. It strikes me how people given up on life - according to the two movies - apparently don't care about furniture. I wonder whether this is an American thing? What is so strange about just having enough without having a soft sofa? When i was a student and lived alone for the first time all i had in my little apartment was a closet, a dresser where the TV was on, a floor lamp, a carpet, a tiny table where the phone was on and an air mattress (single) - that's it! Even my desktop PC was on the floor... (Kitchen was a build-in one.) So, what would that had said about my mental state at that time?? Sure, i had not much money (to buy stuff), but i don't think i would have bought anything in addition - it was simple and sufficient. Even more, it was one of the happiest times i ever had.

What are your thoughts on "Daddy, you need more furniture"?