Author Topic: Pursuit Of Happyness  (Read 5274 times)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Pursuit Of Happyness
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 11:22:15 am »
I watched this movie with both my kids (5 & 10) when it came out. while my youngest didn't really watch it all my daughter was glued to the screen, they reason i believe she enjoyed it was because about a month before we were in a similar situation being homeless with no money so on, while we did not have it as bad as in the movie (sleeping in toilets) it still wasn't a pleasant time for either of them having to go from place to place every day or so. i think she could relate to what was happening it wasn't just another fictional movie to her, she cried a few times in it and has also watched 3 more times.

oh bec, that is a very interesting and moving perspective...
 :)

I didn't like it very much, because I was frustrated with his choices sometimes.  Not that I wasn't sympathetic, I just felt like the movie was like, "Oh well, it doesn't matter what happened to him, cause look everything worked out in the end."  i.e. there wasn't enough anger in the movie for me, if that makes any sense...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 11:33:45 am »
I didn't care for it either, and I am beginning to wonder if Will Smith is overrated as an actor. People rave about him but I often feel like he is good, but not great.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 12:41:35 pm »
Interetsing side note - the blonde hippy from Amazing Race fame (he and his friend won S9) played the hipp that steals on of his machines in the film....

I quite liked the film.... but I'm no film buff and enjoyed the film for what it was....
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 02:07:41 pm »
Just FYI for those who did not care for the film - I am currently reading the book of the same name. It goes into much more detail such as Chris' upbringing and childhood that were not depicted in the movie.

Watching the movie felt like a series of defeats until the very end, like how much worse can things get for this guy? Anyway, I decided to read the book and so far so good.

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 02:19:39 pm »
yep, i watched it, and really liked it.
i felt very uncomfortable during the whole film because you just want this guy to get a break, but things just keep getting worse.  i cried a little, and appreciated the ending.  what made the movie good was the fact it is based on a true story.  hard to believe. 
makes you want to aim for your goals though, and maybe work even harder on achieving them.
as far as wil smith?  i think he did pretty good in the role.