Author Topic: Funny Lines/Moments in BBM  (Read 9784 times)

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
Funny Lines/Moments in BBM
« on: April 16, 2006, 09:35:21 am »
We all know that 'Brokeback' is a serious film - deeply serious and deeply sad.  However, I think there are some nice funny lines/moments in it.  Was anyone else tickled by Lureen's line:

"What are you waitin' for, cowboy, the matin' call?"

I thought that line was just the kicks!  :laugh:  My mother, who went to see it in the theatre with me on one occasion, also apparently found it quite funny because she chuckled a bit beside me.  Apparently Jack found it quite funny as well - I just crack up by the look on his face and imagine what he would have liked to have said at that moment.  At the same time as it is funny, there is a sad element in it as well. 

I saw a couple more moments throughout the film that were quite humorous.  What do ya'll think? 
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: Funny Lines/Moments in BBM
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 09:39:35 am »

I absolutely love the "I think ma dad was right" by Ennis, just after Jack has inadvertently proved Ennis's dad's contention that all rodeo cowboys was ****ups...  beautifully timed delivery and with that dry drawl..  I crack up every time.

And although its not a line, I always crack up at Lureen's face after Jack has just gone after her old man.  She's proud, exhilirated and probably a little shit-scared of what had just happened but that sly little smile..  Wonderful acting by Anne there.
Chut up!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 09:47:32 am »
The "I wish that mule had broke that harmonica" line was funny.   Even the Jack Twist character laughed.   Seeing him laugh was the best!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 09:49:20 am »
"We're s'posed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em" has long been about my favorite.  I always really enjoyed "It's too early in the summer to be sick o' beans" too, for some reason.
No more beans!

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 10:06:23 am »
All the ones y'all said, of course, and I also always love hearing Jack complain,
 "I'm commutin' four hours a day."
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 11:12:44 am »
"Lost 42 sheep.  Thought I'd asphyxiate from the smell."
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 11:15:23 am »
Jack's geump when Ennis returns home after meeting the bear makes me laugh  :laugh:

.......and all I find is beans!

he is soo cute and pretending to be grumpy and then he gets all worried and serious!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 02:16:54 pm »
Oh! How could you forget "Your folks just stop at Ennis?"!

O0

Heathen

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 03:11:14 pm »
RouxB

Love that one!  Starts the fun & happy period of their time together.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 06:42:25 am »
Ennis: And that's the story of my saddle bronc career.
Monroe (with knife): Wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Lureen: Now, it don't seem fair.  You goin up there 2, 3 times a year...

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 07:32:03 am »
Ennis: And that's the story of my saddle bronc career.
Monroe (with knife): Wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

This is HILARIOUS, Kirk.. you do a stunning impression of an electric knife...

*giggling my head off*
Chut up!

moremojo

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 12:08:41 pm »
There are lots of moments of gentle humor in the film, particularly in the Brokeback Mountain scenes. Quite a few of my favorites involve profanity, which is kind of surprising, since I refrain from profanity in my own life, unless I'm really steamed and need to vent, quoting someone else's use of it, or occasionally invoking it as "dirty talk" with a partner who's into that. But these are some of my favorite humorous moments in BBM (in no particular order):

--Jack's "Fuck Aguirre!", when he's dragging the sheep (it's the way he says it that makes me smile)
--Ennis's "You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity", followed by his bashful little smile, and Jack's delighted laugh
--Ennis's "Shit!", when he's too drunk and it's too late to go back to them sheep (methinks Ennis intentionally stayed at camp a bit too long)
--Ennis's shivering "Whut?", followed by his drunkenly clumsy traipse into the tent
--Ennis's "I was gettin tired of your dumbass missing!"
--The whole rodeo enactment scene, especially Ennis's hemming and shrugging when Jack says "The hell they are!"
--Ennis's "You girls need a push or sumpin?"; I love how even in the midst of his anger, Ennis can show love to his children
--Ennis's claim that his prayer was in thanks that Jack had forgotten to bring his harmonica
--Jack lassoing Ennis on their last day on the mountain
--Ennis kicking the dust in frustration (he does this twice, and I just find it adorable, at the same time as I sympathize with the frustration it represents)
--Ennis's frequent use of "hunh?" and "hmmm"...both so endearing

These are the moments that immediately come to mind for me. Seeing the film multiple times has helped to highlight the story's happier moments.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:30:11 pm by moremojo »

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 01:04:44 pm »

This part makes me laugh every time. I think it has more to do with Jack's laugh after Ennis pushes him. It really seems like Jake didn't expect the push and he genuinely laughs.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 10:05:29 am »

This part makes me laugh every time. I think it has more to do with Jack's laugh after Ennis pushes him. It really seems like Jake didn't expect the push and he genuinely laughs.

Right!  And I love how as they get up, they keep pushing each other - Jack kind of pushes Ennis again in saying "Let's get a move on..." and Ennis kind of pushes him back.  All very affectionate and endearing to them and to us.
No more beans!

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 10:10:05 am »
 ;)
Objects in the rear-view mirror may appear closer than they really are.

can I assume this is referring to Jack watching Ennis as he drives away?.............................. ???
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 01:19:12 pm »

Right!  And I love how as they get up, they keep pushing each other - Jack kind of pushes Ennis again in saying "Let's get a move on..." and Ennis kind of pushes him back.  All very affectionate and endearing to them and to us.

Yes! They're like school kids with crushes, looking for ways to touch each other when they aren't yet at the point where they can do it fer real.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 03:02:57 pm »
"Earlier today I was castratin' calves.."

Lol the way he says it and the look Cassie gives always makes me chuckle :D

vkm91941

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 03:30:44 pm »
I'm one of those people who chucked when Alma catches them kissing, not because I don't empathize with her but because the first things that popped into my mind was "B*U*S*T*E*D!" ;)

Offline Toast

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 04:13:17 pm »
I love all the funny moments that you listed
nice to think funny thoughts about Brokeback

There are two innocent funny moments that I love
you mentioned one "you girls want a push or sumpin" and their chorused reply.

then there is the real innocent line from Ennis
"All right, as long as I don't have to sing."
in response to the question
"Hey daddy!  The church picnic's next weekend. Will you be back from fishin'
  by next weekend? Please, daddy, please!"

and then Alma reminds him that he is leaving his fishing things as he rushes off to be with Jack Nasty.
  I love Jack Nasty, and lots of hisfunny  lines too.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 11:27:33 pm »
The majority of scenes during the first third of the movie make me chuckle. Some of those scenes are extremely adorable.

I love Jack's face right before he says "The hell they are" after Ennis insults rodeo cowboys.

I also like "Jack Twist? Jack Nasty!" I don't know why I find that funny and I never laugh while I watch that scene but when I think back on it, it makes me smile.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 12:01:46 am »
There are a bunch of lines and moments that aren't particularly funny in and of themselves, but that always make me laugh because they make me think of the Cowboy Etiquette thread. For example, when Ennis parks his truck under the sign that says "Laundromat entrace in the  front," I always remember the line (I haven't read the thread recently so forgive me if I'm remembering wrong, but I think this was one of Ellemeno's many HILARIOUS lines):

"Always park your truck right under the 'laundromat entrance in the front' sign so that everybody knows what entrance you really like using."

So now I always crack up when I see this part. And I always wonder whether it's possible that Ang Lee (or whoever) did that on purpose.

There are lots of little funny moments in the movie. But the Cowboy Etiquette thread came out before my third or fourth viewing of the movie, and after that  I laughed at a lot of things that probably nobody else in the theater found very funny.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2006, 01:29:04 am »
Oooh, latjoreme, me too! I haven't read that thread in a while, but the one's I'm remembering are something like "Directing a punch through the open window of one who has yelled 'hey *beep* watch where you're going!' may prolong an encounter best kept brief" and "When someone is helping you clear the dishes, it is impolite to accuse them of buggery, even if you have reason to believe it is true." I love that thread!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2006, 05:32:10 am »
Oh guys, I'm so happy you mentioned this... when Ray and I watched it at his place, we got to the part where the guys are sitting at the campfire talking about rodeoing and we said at almost exactly the same time "you can't get comfortable until your boot is shoved ALL THE WAY INTO the fire"..  lol! One of Sarah's classics, if memory serves.

And I can't watch the movie anymore without the following etiquette thread excerpts making me smile:

* canned bean labels should be rotated toward camera
* the typical cowboy honeymoon consists of 1 day of sledding down a snowy mountain with your bride
* The polite cowboy will never refuse the offer to rub the tired, smelly feet of his waitress.
* Color of cowboy hat and horse should differ lest one appear too 'matchy.
* When lassoing friend, apply lariat from the front. Lassoing from behind may lead to fisticuffs.
* When streaking out the door with boyfriend, it is most cordial to offer wife some smokes.
* In case you can't grow sideburns, apply brillo pads to face.
* Before delivering disappointing news, it is good manners to clean off the listener's truck door handle.
* when a stranger visits your home, decides to rummage through a family member's closet and take an item of clothing without permission, it is expected that you should offer a paper bag for him to take said item home.
* It should surprise no one to run into Chilean sheepherders in the middle of Wyoming.
* Be careful. Don't let your good manners "write a check that your body is not willing to cash". Sometimes you think you're just picking up a fallen red hat...
* Short-legged pudgy rodeo clowns become tall, slim, and long-legged when encountered in bars. However, they are sometimes considerably uglier there.

Okay, so i think about a lot of them... that thread was hilarious.. I keep a printout of it with me at work and read it if I'm feeling annoyed with the world. It always makes me smile...
 ;D
Chut up!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2006, 11:30:52 am »
Yeah! These are among my favorites, too. Along with, "When visiting your cowboy boyfriend, it is polite to stop in and greet his wife before speeding off to a motel for hot sex."

I just need to go back and read the whole thread!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2006, 01:51:19 pm »
Foot in the fire, foot in the fire!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 01:39:50 am »
I'll add mine (what happened to the thread? I thought we saved it!)?

Never slug your ex-wife, no matter how much you want to.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 02:29:25 am by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 04:30:20 am »
Three words: Lean. Against. EVERYTHING.
Chut up!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 06:33:44 am »
Three words: I ain't queer!

Two More words: Me neither!

Final words: I swear!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 06:35:27 am »
That's not really funny is it, but I think it sums it up!
~A good general knows when to retreat~