Author Topic: Coincident or Deeper meaning  (Read 5599 times)

vkm91941

Coincident or Deeper meaning
« on: April 16, 2006, 06:02:01 pm »
Stole this topic from my buddie Banner Hill (Jason Clark to the Aero Crew) on TOB...so whaddy'al think?

I'm not sure what the consensus here is about Alma Jr's bluebird earrings. Some people think that they have no symbolism. Some people think there is a much deeper meaning.

The logic goes like this:

Lureen says Jack always talked about Brokeback Mountain and she thought of it being a place "where there's a  whiskey springs and bluebirds sing", her intrepretation?  In the scene where Alma Jr asks Ennnis if she might be able to stay with him, she is wearing prominant bluebird earrings. Is this by chance?   Is anything in this movie ever really left to chance?  Or is Ang Lee the master of sympoblism we all think he is?

Symbolicly, it is possible that Alma Jr wearing those earrings might suggest that a bit of the love that Ennis held so sacred might be able to be found in his relationship with his daughter.

What do you think? Are the bluebird earrings coincidental or not?

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Coincident or Deeper meaning
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 06:12:47 pm »
Not coincidence.  I can't remember what, but I think there might be one more bluebird ref in the film (beside Ennis saying it while hunkering by the river washing the pan).

I wish Banner Hill could be lured over here.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 06:15:29 pm »
Can anyone get a close up screen cap of her earrings?

Everyone says they're birds with blue stones so they're 'blue birds' but for all we know they're eagles - which would be more logical to be set in turquoise in Wyoming (I bought most of my turquoise jewelry in Wyoming.  Saw a lot of thunderbirds and eagles, no bluebirds).

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 06:17:48 pm »
Not coincidence.  I can't remember what, but I think there might be one more bluebird ref in the film (beside Ennis saying it while hunkering by the river washing the pan).

I wish Banner Hill could be lured over here.

I've sure tried, even talked to him on the telephone yesterday morning.  He's really frustrated with the troll situation maybe if  that doesn't get any better he'll come.

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 06:25:41 pm »
Is this pic ok?
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 06:47:39 pm »
Can anyone tell?  They look like eagles to me (which are birds, so I guess that'd still work).

vkm91941

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 09:57:16 pm »
Can anyone tell?  They look like eagles to me (which are birds, so I guess that'd still work).

Thanks for that DeeDee they look like doves to me, like the one that is the symbol of the Pentecost with the waver in his mouth...but I have no problem with them as bluebirds....

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 11:24:05 pm »
I think it's probable the bluebird earrings are a way of suggesting Alma, Jr.'s similarities to Jack as an influence in Ennis's life. 

Next to Jack, she is the person Ennis cares most about and has the idealism of youth.  Like Jack, she loves Ennis unconditionally and seems to understand him better than others.  She tries to come live with Ennis but doesn't press the issue when he refuses.  In the final scene, she receives the sacrifice that Ennis would have gladly made for Jack at that point if it were not now too late.

Ang Lee and the writers make the parallel even stronger by bookending the first and last scenes in the movie.  In each, Ennis is alone outside a trailer when Jack/Junior drives up.  They are the same age in their respective scenes, too.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 12:46:02 am »
I think it's probable the bluebird earrings are a way of suggesting Alma, Jr.'s similarities to Jack as an influence in Ennis's life. 

Next to Jack, she is the person Ennis cares most about and has the idealism of youth.  Like Jack, she loves Ennis unconditionally and seems to understand him better than others.  She tries to come live with Ennis but doesn't press the issue when he refuses.  In the final scene, she receives the sacrifice that Ennis would have gladly made for Jack at that point if it were not now too late.

Ang Lee and the writers make the parallel even stronger by bookending the first and last scenes in the movie.  In each, Ennis is alone outside a trailer when Jack/Junior drives up.  They are the same age in their respective scenes, too.

I'm picking my jaw up off the floor at yet another detail like this being pointed out to me, four months after first seeing the movie, and after thinking there might be nothing more to point out. Thank you Meryl. That kind of echo in the details--the setting, the circumstances of him being alone and approached by each of them in their respective vehicles, and their ages, it's just too much. I love it.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 12:48:18 am »

God Meryl!! What an amazing observation!!!  Just when you think you've exhausted every little detail and nuance....  :o
Chut up!