Author Topic: The Scoop on Willie Nelson's "Cowboys are Frequently, Secretly..."  (Read 14434 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
The Dallas dudes who inspired Willie Nelson’s salute to gay cowboys usher in star-studded Aetheria bash

--Here are some excerpts; the entire article is here:
http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_4645.php  --Lynne

...Last year — during the “Brokeback Mountain” craze — a Dallas couple became the de facto gay cowboys of Valentine’s Day. On the morning of Feb. 14 2006, Howard Stern was the first to air Willie Nelson’s new single, “Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other,” the first gay-themed mainstream country song by a major artist.

But the Valentine’s Day tie-in to Nelson’s single had a personal connection.

In 2004, Nelson’s tour manager David Anderson, who had previously been married for 15 years, came out to Nelson and his wife. A lifelong Dallasite, Anderson met Nelson in 1973, when Anderson was an 18-year-old go-getter who booked the country star for outdoor festivals held at a parking lot near Love Field. They’ve worked together for more than three decades.

By rolling the single out on Feb. 14, Anderson said Nelson wanted to avoid anti-gay country fans bashing the song simply because of the queer content.

And that’s why Anderson’s coming out to Nelson was highlighted with the single’s release: If Willie says gay folks are cool, maybe his listeners will think the same.

In 2005, through an on-line service, Anderson met Darrin Davis, a Utah native who moved to Dallas 13 years ago. With dancing in his blood, Davis found an outlet in clogging competitions. His heart, however, was thirsty for disco.

...[Davis'] background in clogging hasn’t gone to waste. Davis choreographed and directed the video for “Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly.” After spending months working with more than 30 gay boot-scooters that he had scouted at The Round-Up Saloon, the video was finished. The video is set in a bar called “The Round-Up” and even features a Burt Reynolds cameo.
In a recent interview, Davis explained that he and Anderson are no longer boyfriends but they’re still on good terms and are elated with Aetheria’s success.
BROKEBACK CONNECTION

Willie Nelson already earned considerable gay cred. On the “Brokeback Mountain” soundtrack, he performed the mournful “He Was a Friend of Mine,” a Bob Dylan-penned tune. But that track was Nelson’s second offering. His first choice was “Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other,” a humorous song that had been kicking around for about 20 years. The “Brokeback” producers didn’t think the song’s tone fit with the film. Still, Nelson thought the song should come out of the closet. And he was right. “Cowboys Are Frequently” was released as a digital download on iTunes, and the cut became the second-highest charting single of Nelson’s career.

Unfortunately, Davis says that Nelson will not be performing “Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly” on Saturday. Nelson will be focusing on new material. And according to Davis, Nelson has never performed the gay cowpoke song in public.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 04:07:52 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: The Scoop on Willie Nelson's "Cowboys are Frequently, Secretly..."
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 01:08:20 pm »
Thanks for posting that info, Barbara!  Another Latin music connection in BBM - very cool!
 :D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 01:08:55 pm by sfericsf »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:54:40 pm »
Here's the video  :D

Eric, it says the video has been removed due to a terms of use violation...

L
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 01:37:08 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 01:08:30 pm »

Whoopsie!  Here, you can watch the video here:

http://malcontent.typepad.com/malcontent/2006/04/willie_s_cowboy.html

(And stop calling me Scott.)    :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 01:36:46 pm »
Whoopsie!  Here, you can watch the video here:

http://malcontent.typepad.com/malcontent/2006/04/willie_s_cowboy.html

(And stop calling me Scott.)    :D

WHY do I do that? I know you are Eric!! What is wrong with me...

I think I see the S...c....s...in your sig and some how my brain computes scott not eric....ridiculous, I know.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 02:50:49 pm »
thanks for posting the link Eric! Very nice video  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 10:28:19 am »
I'm sorry to be a downer on such a so-far positive thread...

I just came across this and watched the video for the first time.  First off, in the interview, Willie only says he recorded the song, because it's "funny."  Hardly a ringing sense of acceptance of gayness.  Also, at the beginning of the video, it looks like Burt Reynolds and Willie Nelson are sitting there directing the video.  Burt asks Willie what he thought of the take they just saw of men line dancing together.  Willie replies, "Damnedest thing I've ever seen."   :-\

But I was horrified when, near the end of the video, there is a momentary image of one of the cowboys being dragged along the ground, away from the camera, by a small group of other cowboys.  He's laying on the ground, trussed up with rope, his arms pinned along his side, being dragged feet first.  Nothing funny there.  It looks like what's happening is the exact thing that made Jack flee from the Jimbo bar.  Anybody else perceive it that way?

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 10:47:34 am »
But I was horrified when, near the end of the video, there is a momentary image of one of the cowboys being dragged along the ground, away from the camera, by a small group of other cowboys.  He's laying on the ground, trussed up with rope, his arms pinned along his side, being dragged feet first.  Nothing funny there.  It looks like what's happening is the exact thing that made Jack flee from the Jimbo bar.  Anybody else perceive it that way?

Gotta say I completely disagree!

I enjoyed the clip, found it funny - was smilin throughout it.

As far as the tied up cowboy at the end, well .. could be a little rope fun, or it could be interpreted as being what those who 'Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other' might feel about their situation - therefore, a little message before the fun ends. Still better'n sayin nothin.

Hey this ain't no Brokeback (masterpiece), just a little fun.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 04:01:21 pm »

Nice Kelly                     :)

Beautiful mind