Author Topic: Are You Optimistic or Pessimistic About The Future Of The World?  (Read 7602 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Are You Optimistic or Pessimistic About The Future Of The World?
« on: February 13, 2007, 04:08:37 am »
I realize this is a touchy subject. Let's all respect each other's opinions. Please no heavy debating and personal attacks!

That said...

On one hand, we have worldwide famine, wars raging in many countries, widespread disease (such as AIDS in Africa, Bird Flu, etc), Global Warming and nasty, evil and corrupt governments.

On the other hand, we are seeing major breakthroughs in medicine and science as well as tremendous advances in technology.

I admit, I voted "I'm not sure". I try to be optimistic about our future, but worldwide distress shadows my optimism.

What do you think?

I'd love to hear what others have to say about this!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: Are You Optimistic or Pessimistic About The Future Of The World?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 10:48:33 pm »
I'm with you David I'm not sure.  Global warming worries me, Nuclear proliferation and the amount of unreasoning vehement anger of the extremists in the world frightens me and I am saddened by the extreme poverty of some nations.  But at the same time we live in an amazing age for research, technology and development and we have such potential for humanitarian efforts.  I just don't know. :-\
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:06:26 pm »
Dottie, the Global Warming issue scares me most of all. All this talk of rising sea levels, holes in the ozone and changing weather patterns really frightens me.

It's really strange too. Back when I was a kid, I used to imagine the year 2000 and beyond as a peaceful time, full of flying cars and robots. I never imagined we would be facing such things as worldwide terrorism, AIDS and Global Warming.

The funny thing is, when I imagine the 22nd century I still think the same way; a happy, perfect (or nearly perfect) world.

I guess I share H.G. Wells idea of a future utopian society where everyone gets along with each other.

Offline David

This is how the world ends...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 11:15:10 pm »
Global warming is not my top worry.     Where did all the Nukes go after the cold war was over? That is a concern.   Not to mention you can go online and get instructions to build your own dirty bomb.     Islamic extremists are a big concern.    They need to put the energy from their hate into something more productive.  Like improving their standard of living instead of hating us for ours.

AIDS still is not close to being cured.   I'm sorry for those in Africa suffering, but lets get real and spend the time and money on a cure to end this disease instead of sending band-aids to 3rd world countries.   Once we have a vaccine then we can worry about distribution.

Another worry?   The Global economy.    Has anyone else noticed that China now has a booming economy while the rest of the post industrial modern countries are sinking into a pre-industrial society.    The United States has more Millionares than ever.   We also have virtually no middle class anymore.     The working class have lost their manufacturing jobs and now not only shop at Walmart, they work there.  Corporate CEOs are paying themselves more than ever now that they realize they can just fire everyone and import everything we use now from over seas.

And the Oil.     The world is so dependant on Oil.     And the people providing it are so unstable.     If the flow of oil stopped, our transportation network would collapse.  People in Northern climates would freeze to death.    US citizens would be fleeing over the border to Mexico and Cuba.      Cars and trucks would stop. So would Airplanes.   Factories will close.   Society as we know it will end.     But once there is nobody left other than Millionares and Welfare recipients, we will have gone right back to a pre-industrial era here in the States.

So if the Nukes don't get us, or the biological superviruses, then we will end up in soup lines or Greeters at Walmart.   

We look at the ancient ruins of Rome and wonder how such an advanced civilization collapsed.     Well 1000 years from now they may be saying the same thing about New York City.

When Global warming floods the earth, what will be left for it to destroy?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 11:27:10 pm »
David, I'm assuming you're the one who voted "pessimistic" in the poll.

But you're right, and I have thought about many of these things you mentioned.

I also wonder about our gay youth. The religious right seems to be getting more radicalized in their hatred towards gay people. When I was a kid, nobody talked about it; at least not in this part of the country. So, I really didn't have any idea of who I was or what I was supposed to do with my homosexuality. I just knew I was different. We figured it out for ourselves back then. Now, homosexuality is openly discussed in the mainstream media, in churches, in schools and at the dinner table. I guess this is a good thing. But sometimes I feel as if the hatred towards us is growing, not decreasing. So much for our enlighted society.

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 07:36:37 am »
David, I'm assuming you're the one who voted "pessimistic" in the poll.

Actually, I am usually a very optomistic person.   But that is when I'm wearing my rose coloured glasses!  LOL.     If I watch the evening news, then I realize that the world we live in is far from a Utopian society.

Medical advances?  Most definately.   We have extended the average persons life span significantly.   Of course if you don't have health insurance you are screwed.

Technology advances?    Yes.  Computers have taken us to new levels.  Cars are safer than ever.  However the products are more disposable than ever too!

Almost 40 years ago we put a man on the Moon.  Today we can't launch a Space Shuttle without 10 delays or malfunctions.

Gay rights have rocketed to the headlines.   We are in TV series and movies.  We can get married or have a public Civil Union.   But 99.9% of us are still terrified of walking thru our neighborhoods holding hands.     But overall, I think we are making progress.   

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: This is how the world ends...
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 07:39:21 am »
When Global warming floods the earth, what will be left for it to destroy?

That's a good question.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.