Author Topic: Are You a Summer Person or a Winter Person?  (Read 8091 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Are You a Summer Person or a Winter Person?
« on: February 11, 2007, 04:21:59 pm »
We have a major snowstorm heading towards Indiana. They said it will be here in the next day or two. I'm already sick of winter and we still have more than a month of it left before it's over!

I love spring and summer, but I think spring is my favorite season. I love the soft gentle breezes and the mild temperatures. I also love a spring rain, especially at night while I am sleeping. I love opening up my windows during spring and letting the fragrances from my magnolia tree fill my house.

I love summer too. I prefer the heat to the cold; even when it's 100+ degrees outside (which is not unusual in this part of the country!).

Definitely not winter though. I'm so sick of winter I could puke snow.  :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Eire1978

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Are You a Summer Person or a Winter Person?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 09:18:54 pm »
I'm a spring/summer person. I don't like the cold... although I'm in Ireland lololol

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 02:00:38 am »
Now, David, tsk, tsk...how could you forget the "Versatile" option.  ;) :D

Seriously, I love the seasons when they come and am usually eager to be on to the next one!

Winter - skiing, hot tubs cocoa  ::), fireplaces, snowmen, short days, more sleep time
Spring - planting, new life, preparing, longer days, the first hike of the year, fresh air
Summer - iced tea, beach or lake time, fireflies, late sunsets, more photons for the mood
Autumn - harvest, fresh vegetables, home-grown tomatoes, colorful leaves, smell of burning leaves

This makes me wonder how I'm going to handle living somewhere without distinct seasons... :-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 02:11:00 am »
Now, David, tsk, tsk...how could you forget the "Versatile" option.  ;) :D

Seriously, I love the seasons when they come and am usually eager to be on to the next one!

Winter - skiing, hot tubs cocoa  ::), fireplaces, snowmen, short days, more sleep time
Spring - planting, new life, preparing, longer days, the first hike of the year, fresh air
Summer - iced tea, beach or lake time, fireflies, late sunsets, more photons for the mood
Autumn - harvest, fresh vegetables, home-grown tomatoes, colorful leaves, smell of burning leaves

This makes me wonder how I'm going to handle living somewhere without distinct seasons... :-\

Are you getting ready to up and move somewhere else Lynne?

I always figured I would probably move to Florida after Dad is gone. I've lived there before and I liked it.  :)

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 02:16:15 am »
Well I am defiantly a spring person! There is nothing more sweeter than feeling the warmer spring temperatures  and the new sunlight when it  starts to bring everything back to life again!   It almost seems like it brings onesself back to life.  It's always been like a time of rebirth and renewed energy and hope for me! Love it!
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 02:45:27 am »
Are you getting ready to up and move somewhere else Lynne?

I always figured I would probably move to Florida after Dad is gone. I've lived there before and I liked it.  :)

I've had San Diego on my brain for quite awhile; most of my Boston friends have moved to the left coast.  I've been in my current job for 8 years - 2 years too long - so a career move is overdue.  I sold our house late last year.

But...moving Mom will not be trivial.  I like the team of doctors I've built here - that was no small job.  And I'm terrified of screwing up.

So, for now, I'm just thinking on it.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 02:58:57 am »
I've had San Diego on my brain for quite awhile; most of my Boston friends have moved to the left coast.  I've been in my current job for 8 years - 2 years too long - so a career move is overdue.  I sold our house late last year.

But...moving Mom will not be trivial.  I like the team of doctors I've built here - that was no small job.  And I'm terrified of screwing up.
So, for now, I'm just thinking on it.

I completely sympathize with you Lynne and I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I've decided to wait until my Dad is gone before I move. I just can't leave him. My sister just moved out to Colorado, and I'm pretty much all he has left. And he won't leave Indiana. I've tried to convince him, but I have failed.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 03:05:40 am »
I completely sympathize with you Lynne and I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I've decided to wait until my Dad is gone before I move. I just can't leave him. My sister just moved out to Colorado, and I'm pretty much all he has left. And he won't leave Indiana. I've tried to convince him, but I have failed.

We're a pair aren't we?  My brother is 10 miles away and has seen Mom twice since and including Christmas.  I've decided to let go of any guilt of moving her 'away' from him.  But it's a little different b/c w/Mom's dementia, she'll go where I go, just as long as I keep the same stuff around so it feels familiar.

Our parents are in winter, and I guess we're in mid/late summer, huh?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 04:20:22 am »
I love the fall, it is my favorite time of year.  I love that first crisp bite in the air, the crunch of leaves under my feet, the wind that shakes the leaves loose from their last precarious perch, that hint of smoke in the air from burning leaves and fireplaces stoked against the chill of early morning and evening for the first time after the warmth of summer. And most of all the colors....the vibrant blue of the sky,big puffy swifly moving clouds, the green of conifers and the russet, pink, gold, yellow and orange of those that sleep in winter...the hush that comes with the first hint of snow.  I love apple picking, making perserves, hayrides, mulled cider and pumpkin pie.  I love the holidays of autumn, Columbus Day, Halloween, Samhain, All Saints Day, Guy Fawkes Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving.  It's my time of year, a time to settle in for the restfulness of winter and prepare for the rebirth of spring.  Autumn gives  me hope. :)

Autumnal

Fading grass gleams low in yellow light
fluffed-up squirrels dig and disagree
quiet mushrooms shoulder fallen leaves
brown and fallen gold for a day, -- yesterday

russet cranesbills startle, and disown
their other season
before the soggy moth-webs
clustered naked twigs

curving fronds of white anemones
earnest little faces bent in morbid fascination
as all around, gathered to the distance
twisted in their minor throes of death lie leaves,
collateral damage of the promised spring.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:28:28 am »

I'm not one for extremes, David. For that reason, I prefer Spring and Autumn. Having said that, however, I live in Australia, so I'm compelled to love the beach culture that thrives in this sunny land, with its mile after mile of deserted, pristine, sandy beaches, where you can paddle along the shore-line all day and not see another living soul. This is a photo of South West Rocks, taken from Smokey Cape lighthouse, about 5 hours drive north of Sydney (where I live).

γνῶθι σεαυτόν