Author Topic: I am a fan of Ang's movie because...  (Read 5232 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
I am a fan of Ang's movie because...
« on: April 17, 2006, 12:31:26 pm »
(Apology if the topic is already covered.  I have not gotten around to read all posts, there are simply too many. :)  In any case, just my two cents.)

I am a big fan of Ang Lee's movie.  His movie always captured the repressed feelings so well, beautifully done and very touching.  He gives the seemingly powerless repressed emotions a very powerful voice.  Being a Chinese myself, I really appreciate his way of portray those repressed emotions in the background of Chinese culture.  With over 5000 years of civilization/tradition, you bet there are a lot of repressed emotions in different forms and areas.  I respect the way he portrays the Chinese culture, with such honesty, insightfulness, and proud (yes, proud).  There are some Chinese directors who makes movie about Chinese culture to appeal to the Hollywood taste (or whatever they think is the Hollywood taste), and some Hollywood directors who ridicule Chinese culture either intentionally or unintentionally (because they don't know what they are talking about).  Ang's movies about Chinese culture are such a breath of fresh air, and right on target.

Apart from Brokeback Mountain, I also like Pushing Hand, Drink, Eat, Men and Women, The Wedding Banquet, Sense and Sensibility, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon all very much and have watched them multiple times.  There are a lot of things in those movies that I can relate to.  As to The Wedding Banquet, looks like it's winning the poll over at the poll center, is it because of the topic?  Don't get me wrong, I like that movie a lot, and even watched it on the Oscar day to support Ang in spirit :).  Last time I watched the movie, I just noticed that the acting still have some room for improvement. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 04:49:08 pm by JennyC »

vkm91941

Re: I am a fan of Ang's movie because...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 06:08:54 pm »
(Apology if the topic is already covered.  I have not gotten around to read all posts, there are simply too many. :)  In any case, just my two cents.)

I am a big fan of Ang Lee's movie.  His movie always captured the repressed feelings so well, beautifully done and very touching.  He gives the seemingly powerless repressed emotions a very powerful voice.  Being a Chinese myself, I really appreciate his way of portray those repressed emotions in the background of Chinese culture.  With over 5000 years of civilization/tradition, you bet there are a lot of repressed emotions in different forms and areas.  I respect the way he portrays the Chinese culture, with such honesty, insightfulness, and proud (yes, proud).  There are some Chinese directors who makes movie about Chinese culture to appeal to the Hollywood taste (or whatever they think is the Hollywood taste), and some Hollywood directors who ridicule Chinese culture either intentionally or unintentionally (because they don't know what they are talking about).  Ang's movies about Chinese culture are such a breath of fresh air, and right on target.

Apart from Brokeback Mountain, I also like Pushing Hand, Drink, Eat, Men and Women, The Wedding Banquet, Sense and Sensibility, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon all very much and have watched them multiple times.  There are a lot of things in those movies that I can relate to.  As to The Wedding Banquet, looks like it's winning the poll over at the poll center, is it because of the topic?  Don't get me wrong, I like that movie a lot, and even watched it on the Oscar day to support Ang in spirit :).  Last time I watched the movie, I just noticed that the acting still have some room for improvement. 

Well Jenny you said it all so much better than I could have!  Thank you for sharing those thoughts and insights with us.  Looks like 21 people read this before me so I'm not the only to read and appreciate your thoughts. Doh je

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 06:36:00 pm »
Vicky,

Thanks for the reply.

I am wondering what are the reasons that others like Ang’s movies.  My perspective probably are biased or limited given we shared the same heritage. :)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 06:43:57 pm »
I loved The Wedding Banquet. It is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I've been trying to rent it here in Spain, but cannot find it anywhere. I guess I'll have to buy it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 05:51:41 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 06:57:42 pm »
Speaking of The Wedding Banquet, I read on IMDb BBM board a while back that a guy called chinesehorse (or something like that) posted that The Wedding Banquet movie was partially based on his story and Ang made special thanks to him and his partner at the very end of the movie.  He also mentioned that he came out to his family a few years back and watched BBM with his mom in Taiwan.  A very moving post. Wondering if anyone is still in touch with him.

vkm91941

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 10:05:28 pm »
I loved  the Ice Storm, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Wedding Banquet and Sense and Sensibility for the some of the same reasons I loved Brokeback Mountain.  Ang Lee is a very focused and subtle director nothing is wasted every breath, every look right down to the petals on the flowers, the clouds in the sky, the rain, wind all have meaning and add a richness to the tapistry of the stories he films  that is  not found in many others.  They draw you in to dwell with his characters to walk in their shoes. live their lives, feel their pain, celebrate their joys. We identify and are transported

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 10:27:28 pm »
I love The Wedding Banquet, too.  And Sense and Sensibility.  I love how Ang Lee's films are about the unspoken moment, and how they explore the characters' internal lives.  I think most of us here, at least at Chez Tremblay, are introverts.  Remember when we all took the Myers-Briggs at the PT board?  And as such, we all live within our own minds and hearts.  I like how he looks at his characters' minds and hearts and shows us the very essence of their souls.  And he knows that characters' words alone don't adequately convey that, even when they're beautiful heartfelt words like "sometimes I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it" - that wounded eyes and quivering lips and muffled sobs and shuffling feet do that so much more effectively.
No more beans!

vkm91941

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 12:11:19 am »
To paraphrase a line from another film...I think we all need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean?  But Ang Lee presents everything , even the mundane with care . The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the commonplace things... all of it, all of the time, every day. He says I see you and you are not ordinary, your are special and unique in all the world.  Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 01:09:32 am »
Viky and Barb,

Very good points!  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 01:40:34 am »
I think one thing that Ang manages to capture in all of his films is the universal elements of humanity. He ponders the deeper meanings of relationship, society, individualism, and questions, "What does it mean to be human?" Granted, on some level all films do this, but for me, his films resonate at such a level that these things are brought to the forefront.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 01:46:07 am »
Well I have to admit that the only other Ang films that I have seen are Crouching and Hulk.........Crouching should have won the Oscar for best picture over Gladiator IMO and Ang should have gotten Best Director either way....He got the Globe which again proves that the HFPA knows more about films then the AMPAS ever will......IMO!

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 04:45:47 am »
He got the Globe which again proves that the HFPA knows more about films then the AMPAS ever will......IMO!

Gonna have to strongly disagree with you there.  HFPA gives acting awards to people like Richard Gere and Madonna.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 06:16:57 am »
He got the Globe which again proves that the HFPA knows more about films then the AMPAS ever will......IMO!

Gonna have to strongly disagree with you there.  HFPA gives acting awards to people like Richard Gere and Madonna.

That is a fairly convincing argument you've just made there, Kirk.  :laugh: I can think of nothing to contradict it!! In nobody's wildest dreams does Madonna deserve anything for acting ability except a size 9 up her emaciated, over-yoga-ed backside!!! In all fairness, it WAS for Evita and I think the cinema-going world has always been more comfortable with Madonna in sing-mode than speak-mode. Plus I hate to say it, but I think it was a bit of a butt-kiss on the HFPA's part (for what, I don't know, but I remember it - and thinking WTF  :o MADONNA??? come ON... just felt butt-kissy at the time)

Nonetheless, I will give my vote of confidence to any academy or body that honoured Brokeback during its contention. They weren't skittish about handing over an award to a gay-themed film, something that the Oscars voters got gutless about..  Well, lets not go THERE again.  :-\

To answer the question about why I love Ang's movies... its already been covered extremely articulately on this thread already - I'm a fan because of his attention to detail. And the fact that nary is a scene wasted in his films. They all mean something.
Chut up!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 07:37:02 am »
am i gonna get slated for saying I don't think I've seen any ofAng's other movies all the way through?

Seen bits of the hulk and sense and sensibility but none of the others ..keep meaning to see the ice storm...

crouching tiger never seemed my bag and the rest i have to admit i hadn't heard of/seen on sale pre-BBM...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/