Author Topic: ZODIAC  (Read 10353 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
ZODIAC
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:21:01 pm »
So I am starting this thread as I make plans to drive an hour tomorrow to see the premiere of Zodiac, I have my wireless hotspot id'd and will report back when I get out how it went. If a thread already exists, please feel free to merge.

I am psyched for this movie, the trailers I have seen look intense.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
Re: ZODIAC
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 03:24:42 pm »
i hope Zodiac will be at our local theatre here tomorrow, but if not im driving.

the trailers ive seen are intense indeed.  i cant wait.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 06:36:19 pm »
Zodiac is playing in my local theater.  YAY!  Since im busy tomorrow night im going to the afternoon showing...besides im dying to see it asap.  Im going even if i have to go alone to see Zodiac, but hubby said he would come with me a couple weeks ago. so we'll see.

BBM didnt show in the local theatre till way into february.
I drove 40 minutes to see it for the first time in on January 22.   I carry the ticket stub with me at all times.

I had the opportunity to watch BBM on DVD with someone who drove to Ft Lauderdale to see it on premier night.. 5 hours away.  It was the closest place showing BBM in the whole state of FLA 

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 11:04:29 am »
Zodiac is playing in a local theater for me as well, no need to drive an hour now, I will take that as a good sign.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:10:55 am »
Zodiac is getting good reviews, 86% on rottentomatoes. The biggest complaint I have seen so far is that it is a little too long.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 05:29:32 pm »
I saw Zodiac at the 1 p.m. showing, it is a long, convoluted tale. I would say it was as hard to follow as "All The Presidents Men" (not just because some of it takes place in a news room) You really have to pay attention to it.

Jake was terrific as Graysmith, the cartoonist whose life is taken over by the Zodiac murders, and eventually he writes a book about it. Wonderful performances by Anthony Edwards and Robert Downey, Jr., lots of attention to detail, the construction of the pyramid shaped building in SF that I can never remember the name of, made me nostalgic for a visit.

A fair amount of gruesome violence in the beginning, but all in all a good suspenseful thriller.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 10:53:34 pm »
Another Zodiac viewer checking in.

Overall, good film.  Heavier on the police drama than on the suspense, I thought.  I'm squeamish about violence, but most of it occurs at the beginning.  Long, but engrossing; be sure to pee first. 

Robert Downey, Jr. was fantastic.  I'm not a big Mark Ruffalo fan.  Anthony Edwards looking like Mark Green from ER but with a hair piece. 

Jake was great.  Luckily, they did not give him a 70s hairdo.  Very boy-scoutish, naive, scruffy.  Uses his giant doe eyes to great effect.  You can see the obsession building in him from the beginning. 

It would have been interesting had they shown more of his personal/family life. 

After the show, we were stopped by our local NBC affiliate, and they asked us to comment on the film for the evening news.  We demurred.   :-X

A little trivia to anyone who sees it:  do you recognize the Lee character and from where?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:59:30 pm by southendmd »

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 11:58:34 am »
I also have this posted on the The polling Place thread "Jake's new movie Zodiac"  Here is what i wrote last night.

I saw Zodiac today.  It was a good movie.  I was expecting it to be more of a thriller, but actually im glad i wasnt scared out of my wits throughout the whole movie.  The beginning is a bit horrid.

Robert Downey Jr. and Jake have very good chemistry working together on this film.  Jake was quite the Eaglescout and innocent i think, for example when asked do you smoke?  Graysmith answers "Once in High School" Robert Downey Jr's. character was anything but innocent, and easily overlooked by Jakey's character as they forged a working, social relationship.

I think their real lives parallel with the lives of the characters they play in Zodiac.  Jake being the good boy a little less than innocent, as i see him, and Downey Jr being the rebel, as everyone knows he is.   

It would have been interesting if we saw little bit more of Jake's social life, but the Zodiac killer was Robert Graysmith's  life.  Robert Downey Jr. did an excellent job acting.  I was really impressed with his portrayal of  newsreporter Paul Avery, though his antics weren't far from his real life.

I dont have much to say about Ruffalo's character..his acting was good.  Its ashame Toschi didnt crack the case.  So close though.

Zodiac is not an award winning film IMHO, but its very interesting and leaves you thinking..  the whole acting

ensemble together really were a great team..  i give it an A, and I hope to read both books..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 12:23:05 pm by brokeback_dev »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 07:47:30 pm »

A little trivia to anyone who sees it:  do you recognize the Lee character and from where?

Do you mean other Jake movies? He was in both The Good Girl and Bubble Boy....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 08:16:54 pm »
OMG, yes, I had seen him in both those movies  and when I was watching Zodiac I kept thinking I should know who that was. Wow.  That is very interesting.

Jake really does land some real innocent type rolls. His later Jack Twist is the only one I can think of where he is not an innocent doe eyed guy. Even in The Good Girl, he is still such a kid, a painful, loveable kid.